General MFC discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it that despite the shitstorm of the past decades we've managed to develop a number of very good defenders? Frawley, Garland, Dunn, and now TMac have all had seasons where they've been possibly among the top defenders in the competition. Neville Jetta too. We've had very few midfielders come on other than Nathan Jones, but we've done okay for KPDs (leaving aside examples like Troy Davis, who never stepped up from being a good VFL defender).

Am I missing something? Do all clubs do similarly well without my noticing?

Why is it that despite the shitstorm of the past decades we've managed to develop a number of very good defenders? Frawley, Garland, Dunn, and now TMac have all had seasons where they've been possibly among the top defenders in the competition. Neville Jetta too. We've had very few midfielders come on other than Nathan Jones, but we've done okay for KPDs (leaving aside examples like Troy Davis, who never stepped up from being a good VFL defender).

They get lots of practice.

They get lots of practice.
I know plenty of people who joke about this but to be honest I think this is true. They've played without the bonus of having a good midfield/forward line in front of them so have had to get bloody good and very well organised amongst themselves to keep us in games. Having the ball sent in against you 80 odd times a game gives you plenty of experience.

Be

Because it's far easier being a defender than a mid. It's far easier playing behind the ball.

It's the same reason it's far easier to be a key defender than a key forward. Just ask the Zac Dawsons of this world how he'd go as a goal kicking key forward.

Salem has benefited from playing behind the ball. I wouldn't rush him to the midfield, because it's a whole new ball game and he'll struggle to have the same impact he's having in defence.

If it was tying him to Hawthorn is would be positive wording, but alas..

No, it wouldn't. The term 'tied to' is just a generic term used to describe someone being under contract to that club.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-23/gunston-resigns-with-hawks

HAWTHORN sharpshooter Jack Gunston has signed a two-year contract extension and says he wants to stay at his second AFL club for the rest of his career.

Gunston, who was traded from Adelaide at the end of 2011, is now tied to the Hawks until the end of the 2016 season after finalising contract negotiations last week.

Stop being paranoid guys!

No, it wouldn't. The term 'tied to' is just a generic term used to describe someone being under contract to that club.

HAWTHORN sharpshooter Jack Gunston has signed a two-year contract extension and says he wants to stay at his second AFL club for the rest of his career.

Gunston, who was traded from Adelaide at the end of 2011, is now tied to the Hawks until the end of the 2016 season after finalising contract negotiations last week.

Clear cut case of MSDS. I can fully sympathise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That'll shutup the peanuts who thought he was gonna leave, Id say a kid who does an ACL in his first pre season and earns a 2 year contract extension 10-12 weeks later must be impressing in his rehab

Nah, I reckon he's one of those contract effort bandits. When a contract is on the line, he's out there busting his guts and putting the hard yards into re-hab. Now that he's got his extension, he'll be back on the couch eating crisps and watching Oprah. In three years when the contract is up again, he'll be putting the miles in in the pool, hours in at the gym, etc trying to get the knee right.

Nah, I reckon he's one of those contract effort bandits. When a contract is on the line, he's out there busting his guts and putting the hard yards into re-hab. Now that he's got his extension, he'll be back on the couch eating crisps and watching Oprah. In three years when the contract is up again, he'll be putting the miles in in the pool, hours in at the gym, etc trying to get the knee right.

I have no reason to think that wouldnt be the case so im now starting a Delist Petition
Filthy grub wont get any more of my hard earned dollars!

I'm being tongue in cheek mate.

As in, being tied to Melbourne has a negative connotation, but being tied to Hawthorn has a positive connotation.

Argh - I hate always having to explain my own jokes. :oops:

Ok, I know it's early so I havnt started a new thread for this but..

..is anyone interesting in talking about the draft yet?

Understanding that we could end anywhere between picks 2 and 5, and there will many changes to the best ranked talent to come, here are a couple I like the sound of - purely in terms of the type of player that would suit our current list;

Callum Ah Chee
182cm/71kg
9/10/97
Half-forward/midfielder
Western Australia/South Fremantle
Showed his talent at the MCG last month, when he starred for the NAB AFL Academy. Ah Chee, the younger brother of Port Adelaide's Brendon, gathered 19 disposals, kicked two goals and took a huge mark. None of it should have been a surprise. The West Australian jumps high, runs the 20-metre sprint in 2.88 seconds, has blistering agility and can turn a game with his class in the midfield and across half-forward.

Darcy Parish
181cm/75kg
25/7/97
Midfielder
Vic Country/Geelong Falcons
Parish is a go-getting midfielder who makes things happen. With run, carry and very neat skills, Parish is quick to keep the ball moving forward and takes his team with him. He belies his smaller size to throw himself into contests and hunts the ball with ferocity. Parish started the year in brilliant form, being close to best afield in the first few games he played. Thumb surgery will sideline him for the opening part of the championships but he'll have plenty of time to tuck the ball under his arm and dash off.

Josh Schache
199cm/96kg
21/8/97
Key forward
Vic Country/Murray Bushrangers
Recruiters view Schache as one of the best kicks for goal they have seen at under-18 level, and he has lived up to that hype early this season with some impressive games. The son of former Brisbane Bears forward Laurence Schache, the 199cm prospect is using his body more than last year and converts most of his chances. He can find space on the lead, move up at the ball and also pinch-hit in the ruck when required.

Understanding that we could end anywhere between picks 2 and 5, and there will many changes to the best ranked talent to come, here are a couple I like the sound of - purely in terms of the type of player that would suit our current list;

You take the best available in the first round but i dont think we can afford to take a key forward

You take the best available in the first round but i dont think we can afford to take a key forward

With Schache, I was probably coming from the following angles;
  • He is currently, generally rated as a top 5.
  • He can play as a power forward and also ruck, and I think we are all starting to realise we might need another one of both coming through.
  • He did some of the pre-season with us, in the same way as Angus Brayshaw did last year, so we will be familiar with him.
  • We are still a chance at a free agent and a trade for a couple of good mids over the next 2 seasons - I cant see us landing a good forward or wasting good picks on a ruckman.

I find it hard to get too interested in it at the moment. As per usual, make 80 kids out to sounds like multiple Brownlow medallists and it seems like there's no real consensus on who is going where until the last week leading up to the draft.

What I'd like to hear is that Jake Lovett is a potential top 10 selection but we only need to use our 9th round pick on him. That'd be swell.

I find it hard to get too interested in it at the moment. As per usual, make 80 kids out to sounds like multiple Brownlow medallists and it seems like there's no real consensus on who is going where until the last week leading up to the draft.

What I'd like to hear is that Jake Lovett is a potential top 10 selection but we only need to use our 9th round pick on him. That'd be swell.

Yeh I certainly dont get as interested in it now that we are unlikely to have 2 top picks, and also since we buggered up our drafting so much that it actually hurts to think about it too much..

But I dont mind casting my eye over some of the top names and types, because it gives me something to follow as the TAC Cup gets underway and gives me a little bit more interest when everyone starts talking about the draft late in the season.

With Schache, I was probably coming from the following angles;
  • He is currently, generally rated as a top 5.
  • He can play as a power forward and also ruck, and I think we are all starting to realise we might need another one of both coming through.
  • He did some of the pre-season with us, in the same way as Angus Brayshaw did last year, so we will be familiar with him.
  • We are still a chance at a free agent and a trade for a couple of good mids over the next 2 seasons - I cant see us landing a good forward or wasting good picks on a ruckman.

A ruck forward would be bloody handy , and Ive always said you should only take tall forwards in the draft in the first round because they are almost always crap if they come later than that
I also see that he is 96kgs already, usually those guys have more success, in fact off the top of my head I cant think of too many big power forwards that went early that failed
Most are the lanky types like Watts, Cook etc who cant rely on there athletic capabilities at the top level

We have zero tall talent outside of Hogan and McDonald. Obviously hype about draftees means SFA at this stage or really any stage until the Combine, but I highly doubt the recruiters will be looking to take a midfielder if it turns out there's an equally or more talented forward available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back