Review Grade your team’s draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Those of us in the Blue and Gold half of the West would probably give our recruiters an A.

Ginbey wasn’t the unanimous pick, especially when Mattaes Phillipou was available, but drafting Ginbey paired with Hewett as opposed to Ed Allen was the right call as far as we’re concerned and helped mitigate any disappointment in flushing away the Poo
No one disapproves of Harry Barnett being taken with our third, and Cody Burgiel seems a proper bargain.
Noah Long was a minor surprise but those in the know reckon it’s a great end.
Couple that with the Cat B rookie signings of Dewar and Baker, a very solid few days.
The slight disappointment was re-rookie drafting Zane Trew when many of us thought there were superior options available- we were all happy to keep Winder
So what does this mean for west coast in 2023?

6-8 wins in 2023?

So what does this mean for west coast in 2023?

6-8 wins in 2023?
Realistically in a non COVID affected year we should’ve got that anyway.

But we did now lose our best player in Kennedy, a huge irreplaceable loss.
But we also get Oscar Allen back.

So I’ll say 6 wins sounds about right - all at home. Maybe a scabby away win against Norf or something.

Realistically in a non COVID affected year we should’ve got that anyway.

But we did now lose our best player in Kennedy, a huge irreplaceable loss.
But we also get Oscar Allen back.

So I’ll say 6 wins sounds about right - all at home. Maybe a scabby away win against Norf or something.
well eagles have North in round 1 in docklands.

Saying that, I cant see the eagles go 2-20. Yeah I see west coast get 5-8 wins.

Still remember back in 2013, eagles got 9 wins. Only won 3 home games at home yet won 6 away a games. For a Non Vic side its usually the other way around of getting 6 home wins and 3 away wins.

Serious question.... How did you rate the saints drafting?

Another question, your thoughts on Ross Lyon playing youth next season?

Hi. I was pretty happy with our draftees.

I didn't expect to see Phillipou still available at 10, so I was glad to see the club pick him up. The other players we picked up all addressed a gap in our list.

I'd like to see us get some games into all of the new players over the year, as well as continue to get games into Windhager, NWM and Owens, who are all looking bigger and better already. Allison is starting to look decent as well.

Max King being out will give us maybe a month with Sharman in the forward line, which is going to be good to watch as well.

Last edited:
I find it impossible to rate our draft this early on. Like everyone else, I didn't anticipate the players we would pick, and they didn't feature prominently on draft boards etc. [I don't claim to have any ability to assess the worth of draft prospects other than by reading the opinions of various pundits.]

What I like:

* we backed our own rankings

* Konstanty is a good player, and there is a clear role for him as a small, pressure forward (with a more defensive role compared to Papley), even if I wouldn't exactly have called it a need

* the trade with the Hawks was a winner and takes some of the sting out of getting shafted by the Crows for Dawson - also there was no player I was really excited about getting by this point in the draft

* the fact that we were involved in the action on night 1

* that we made the Crows pay something approaching a fair price for Michalanney

* Jaiden Magor - total bargain at the back of the rookie draft

* we picked up a couple of rookies (Owen, Edwards) who are projects directed towards our needs.

I'm optimistic about Vickery (he's so young and small he's bound to have a lot of upside). I have no idea about Caleb Mitchell.

What I didn't like:

* that we didn't get in any good talls. I think the thing was that we just didn't rate the ones that were available so there was no point drafting them.

If I had less faith in our recruiters I might be bitching and moaning.... but we had similar reactions when they picked Rowbottom, McInerney and Warner and they turned out alright. So, fingers crossed. And at least we'll be able to profit from the trade next year.

I find it impossible to rate our draft this early on. Like everyone else, I didn't anticipate the players we would pick, and they didn't feature prominently on draft boards etc. [I don't claim to have any ability to assess the worth of draft prospects other than by reading the opinions of various pundits.]

What I like:

* we backed our own rankings

* Konstanty is a good player, and there is a clear role for him as a small, pressure forward (with a more defensive role compared to Papley), even if I wouldn't exactly have called it a need

* the trade with the Hawks was a winner and takes some of the sting out of getting shafted by the Crows for Dawson - also there was no player I was really excited about getting by this point in the draft

* the fact that we were involved in the action on night 1

* that we made the Crows pay something approaching a fair price for Michalanney

* Jaiden Magor - total bargain at the back of the rookie draft

* we picked up a couple of rookies (Owen, Edwards) who are projects directed towards our needs.

I'm optimistic about Vickery (he's so young and small he's bound to have a lot of upside). I have no idea about Caleb Mitchell.

What I didn't like:

* that we didn't get in any good talls. I think the thing was that we just didn't rate the ones that were available so there was no point drafting them.

If I had less faith in our recruiters I might be bitching and moaning.... but we had similar reactions when they picked Rowbottom, McInerney and Warner and they turned out alright. So, fingers crossed. And at least we'll be able to profit from the trade next year.
Exactly this.
Most of these guys were virtually invisible to the pundits and therefore to us followers, Konstanty excepted.
I had hoped we would take Harry Barnett who I figured would be AFL ready not too long after Hickey retires. There were a few others we might have taken that Kinnear and Simon rated lower than the pundits did. That's life.
That said, the guys we've taken should have time to develop fully in the VFL as there are no real holes in our list. They cover a fair bit of the park along with last year's crop.
No expectation that any of them will play seniors this year and that's fine.

Good draft, yet the best pure midfield prospect from 4 years of rebuilding is…Berry? Soligo? maybe Dowling himself?

Certainly of the strangest rebuilds I can remember

An absolute dearth of midfield prospects. I won't knock Berry, already elite defensively, but what heights will his offensive side reach?

Most clubs spent big draft/trade capital in the middle, we're choosing the bargain basement option.

An absolute dearth of midfield prospects. I won't knock Berry, already elite defensively, but what heights will his offensive side reach?

Most clubs spent big draft/trade capital in the middle, we're choosing the bargain basement option.

Easier to draft them than talls. You can if need be get mids. Don’t mind the way you guys have done it

Clearly they rate him higher than any other recruiter.
Not clearly at all. We only know that Hawthorn traded up to get him, we don’t know what, if any, other clubs really wanted to trade up to get him but had no capital to do so.

I don't even know the players we drafted
That's not how you play the game. Just give it A+ and say the recruiters knocked it out of the park. Most of us have seen 30 seconds of highlights at best.
As for the Saints, I'd give it A+, they really knocked it out of the park. I can't believe the guys I'd never heard of got through to our picks.

That's not how you play the game. Just give it A+ and say the recruiters knocked it out of the park. Most of us have seen 30 seconds of highlights at best.
As for the Saints, I'd give it A+, they really knocked it out of the park. I can't believe the guys I'd never heard of got through to our picks.

in seriousness you guys had a sensational night although I did cry when you took Hotton though weirdly I'm coming around to Vickery as a small defender

in seriousness you guys had a sensational night although I did cry when you took Hotton though weirdly I'm coming around to Vickery as a small defender
I agree. There seemed to be a clear top ten so we were going to get whoever was left, happy it was Philipou. I think he is the type we need.
We need more mids so Hotton was a good pick, seemed to be rated higher by many. Van Es will take some time but fills a need for some key defensive cover and Keeler could be anything so was worth the punt.
We won't know for a few years but I'm happy to add them to last year's crop.
As for Ross playing youth, he won't have much choice. I think that would have been part of the discussions before he took the job.

I agree. There seemed to be a clear top ten so we were going to get whoever was left, happy it was Philipou. I think he is the type we need.
We need more mids so Hotton was a good pick, seemed to be rated higher by many. Van Es will take some time but fills a need for some key defensive cover and Keeler could be anything so was worth the punt.
We won't know for a few years but I'm happy to add them to last year's crop.
As for Ross playing youth, he won't have much choice. I think that would have been part of the discussions before he took the job.

Ross will play some youth, Phillipou will play fairly early might be off the HFF but who knows there. Yeah quite a few on Sydney's board wanted Van Es, wouldn't have been disappointed, he looks a genuine stopper and you need those they aren't "sexy" picks but every side needs them. Yeah I wanted Hotton with our first pick, the one we traded out, so I was more than annoyed at the time when we didn't pick him at 27 lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No idea really, but would prefer someone else with some draft knowledge to assess?

1. Rankine for pick 5.
2. MM for a combo of late picks
3. Pushed our second rounder in to next year
4. Dowling and Bond for cheap picks?

I think our off season has been almost better than our draft. Alex Keath being back in shape is worth a fortune to our side.

Not clearly at all. We only know that Hawthorn traded up to get him, we don’t know what, if any, other clubs really wanted to trade up to get him but had no capital to do so.

Dodo was really keen on him and rated him highly.

How does that sit with you?
interested rubbing hands GIF

B+ for the Eagles at this stage.

Happy we split pick 2>3.

Took a bit of a risk on Ginbey but Hewett at 14 balanced that out nicely.

Barnett the best rated ruck at 23 was spot on.

Burgeil at 29 was a payer I really rated and Long at 58 was also a good get.

Eagles finally addressing needs. Midfielders with pace, two with good size added to Culley and a quality ruck.

Two Cat B rookies was nice as well.

Every player picked is quick. And four out of five are mids who can play defense or foward.

Another draft like this next yeat and the next generation at the Eagles will be set to start the climb.

I’m lucky enough to get to training and see some of our draftees and I’ve been pretty impressed with MacKenzie, Weddle and O’Sullivan who I’d not seen anything of pre-draft. He might end up a steal if he makes it. Tough, quick and smart.

No idea how Fox Footy gave us a D, but the fact we got two first rounders in, both being big bodied mids, as well as getting Hurstwaite later is a definitely a pass for mine.

I’m lucky enough to get to training and see some of our draftees and I’ve been pretty impressed with MacKenzie, Weddle and O’Sullivan who I’d not seen anything of pre-draft. He might end up a steal if he makes it. Tough, quick and smart.

No idea how Fox Footy gave us a D, but the fact we got two first rounders in, both being big bodied mids, as well as getting Hurstwaite later is a definitely a pass for mine.

Your lucky that Hawthorn probably give regular updates via their media team too. I am sure if half the Swans players died in a mysterious fire the Swans media team would not think this was worthy of a mention.

Your lucky that Hawthorn probably give regular updates via their media team too. I am sure if half the Swans players died in a mysterious fire the Swans media team would not think this was worthy of a mention.
Actually it’s one of our bugbears too. It’s certainly improved since Mitchell took over as we’ve had members forums reviewing the draft and trade week period and a coach who does media, but the social media and comms from the club are pretty limited, and they share very little about what’s going on during the preseason.

That didn't mark it down that much, they at least gave it a D+

Remove this Banner Ad

Back