Greatest Grand Final

Which Hawthorn premiership is the greatest?

• 1961 (versus Footscray)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 1971 (versus St Kilda)

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • 1976 (versus North Melbourne)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1978 (versus North Melbourne)

• 1983 (versus Essendon)

• 1986 (versus Carlton)

• 1988 (versus Melbourne)

• 1989 (versus Geelong)

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • 1991 (versus West Coast Eagles)

• 2008 (versus Geelong)

Votes: 19 29.7%
  • 2013 (versus Fremantle)

• 2014 (versus Sydney)

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • Vote here if you rate a grand final loss greater than a premiership (eg., 2012 grand final)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Totally agree. Even I'm guilty of looking back on our era of the 80s thinking it could never be duplicated, and I consider immortals like Dunstall and Langford won 4 premierships, but a number of current stars have almost caught them. Our current crop may not be as far off our legends of the past as we may like to think. Certainly, stars such as Hodge and Mitch can stand comfortably amongst them, but it'll be interesting where history places the Birchalls and Riolis of this world among the greatest of all time...

Once you've maintained a high level of footy for a few years, and have played well in finals, THREE premierships for Hawthorn puts you right up there. You have a right to be remembered as a legend of our club.

This already applies to Hodgey, Mitch, Lewis, Cyril and Birch, although we need to wait until after their careers are over to fully appreciate them.

And they've all also got time to achieve more.

Once you've maintained a high level of footy for a few years, and have played well in finals, THREE premierships for Hawthorn puts you right up there. You have a right to be remembered as a legend of our club.

This already applies to Hodgey, Mitch, Lewis, Cyril and Birch, although we need to wait until after their careers are over to fully appreciate them.

Even though one as with another club............Burgoyne deserves to be included in with this lot!

I am still waiting for stupid David King to explain what made him think Hawks would lose by 68 points!

In his defence, he didn't but that's what came up on the screen and he said to "leave it"

He and Healy consistently championed against the hawks all season - I hope the trend continues

Not much love for 1961. I think it significant not just because it was the first but also because of the team that did it. This was the least skilled of all Hawthorn Premiership sides with only a handful of skilled players. Their modus operandi for the season was to grind teams into the ground. The team they played, Footscray, were far more skilful, but the condition of the ground under foot was heavy and it was said before the game that if they weren't up by 6 goals at half time they couldn't win. Sure enough although they were a couple of goals up at half time they were ground into MCG after half time.
Either because of the toll of winning that Premiership or the lack of skill, or both, but the team fell away badly the next year and as stated earlier another Premiership wasn't won for 10 years.

I think Rough deserves to be added to this list as he finally produced the goods in a final series that culminated in a flag.

I think Rough deserves to be added to this list as he finally produced the goods in a final series that culminated in a flag.

My error: Roughie should definitely be on the list.

And Shaun Burgoyne.

Not much love for 1961. I think it significant not just because it was the first but also because of the team that did it. This was the least skilled of all Hawthorn Premiership sides with only a handful of skilled players. Their modus operandi for the season was to grind teams into the ground. The team they played, Footscray, were far more skilful, but the condition of the ground under foot was heavy and it was said before the game that if they weren't up by 6 goals at half time they couldn't win. Sure enough although they were a couple of goals up at half time they were ground into MCG after half time.
Either because of the toll of winning that Premiership or the lack of skill, or both, but the team fell away badly the next year and as stated earlier another Premiership wasn't won for 10 years.

It was still our first, and that is very significant, and something can never change, and incidentally the first that didn't include one of the original clubs that formed the VFL. Actually, I have a better memory of that game than some of those in the 70s and 80s.

The adversity of this season is overrated. We came good near the finish line, and we were always going to. Other teams started to struggle as the finish line got closer, but we were putting our side together almost on queue. All that remained was to beat some good footy teams, which made it not much different to almost any other flag...

For me, it's 2008. Aside from the reasons relating to the quality of the opposition, it was significant for me because I'd lost my partner who died seven weeks before. I told one person I didn't want us winning the flag because 2008 was already a c*** of a year - didn't want the flag tainted! As I turned out, I watched the game with mates, and loved every second of it. The power of footy...!

It was still our first, and that is very significant, and something can never change, and incidentally the first that didn't include one of the original clubs that formed the VFL. Actually, I have a better memory of that game than some of those in the 70s and 80s.
Why's that Thai? Too early to drink back in '61 & you celebrated the 70's & 80's in a mighty fashion.
Just joking Thai you're a true legend mate.
Tried & true, still going strong from abroad well done champ:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why's that Thai? Too early to drink back in '61 & you celebrated the 70's & 80's in a mighty fashion.
Just joking Thai you're a true legend mate.
Tried & true, still going strong from abroad well done champ:)

Thanks for the kind words BOP. Actually, the 61 GF was a month after my 21st. I made myself a promise not to have a drink until after the game, and we certainly celebrated.

Thanks for the kind words BOP. Actually, the 61 GF was a month after my 21st. I made myself a promise not to have a drink until after the game, and we certainly celebrated.
Anytime mate. Gee you're really royalty & if I'm ever going to get to Thailand may have to look you up.:)
Yes to of been to our virgin flag would of certainly been a special thing, especially considering how poor we were in our formative years.

I was at the 83 GF ... As a 10 year old, I still have very found memories of that trashing!
... BUT - 2014 trumps all the GF's I've seen ... An absolute scccchlacking of the highest order.

When Bruce let that pearler out in the 2nd quarter .... "He can feel that cup in his hands I reckon" .. I knew we had them!

Couldn't be prouder of OUR club ... WE RULE!

The adversity of this season is overrated. !

I agree. We did have some bad injuries during the year and Clarko out was a factor but the way some folk go on it was like half the team had Ebola!

The important thing was that we had the strongest team 'on paper' for the year heading into the GF and the risky inclusions of Rioli and McEvoy paid off (and them some) as shown up by Taylor D as the sub.
Much better than the other way around! Teams will always have injuries, its good we got a break at the end of the year.

To be honest, I still rate 2008 above 2013 and this years. In both 2008 and 2014, we played really above par to win on the day - it's just our 2014 side is far stronger than the 2008 side. However, 2008 was just such a huge upset.

No one gave Hawthorn a chance against the juggernauts of Geelong. But through sheer will and grunt,
.​

Yep, 2008 for me as well. Such a long drought (for Hawks anyway). Mainly because I didn't give us a chance. I was thinking we were a 20/80% chance of winning. And a week before the game I talked a mate who didn't have a ticket into turning up and scalping one. It wasn't as easy as I thought and we were running around like headless chooks trying to get a cheap ticket until 5 minutes before the game. He was cracking the shits and about to head off to the pub numerous times but I said, "this might be your only chance to see a GF win live". Finally we got a ticket and before I knew it the game was on. Then in the third quarter my head nearly exploded when Dew went mad.

Needless to say, whenever my mate gets impatient I say, "remember the granny".

2013 was a disgrace to AFL. I will take a gf win any time but that Ross Lyon style of game should be outlawed, except we beat it every time. (I had this one penciled in as win the minute after we beat the cats.) I've been more excited a home and away games.

The 80's we expected to win.

2013 was a disgrace to AFL. I will take a gf win any time but that Ross Lyon style of game should be outlawed, except we beat it every time. (I had this one penciled in as win the minute after we beat the cats.) I've been more excited a home and away games.

The 80's we expected to win.

To be fair, Lyon effectively has been dealt true karma for bringing boring football to the AFL. What's he up to now - 3 grand final runners up appearances...

Back