Autopsy Hawthorn v Geelong - "they weren't trying"

Remove this Banner Ad

He doesn't panic with the football in hand, he's actually quite composed......its his disposal by foot that lets him down at times.
I think the amount of marks he drops or ground balls he fumbles in space suggest that he panics but that's only my opinion. This modern day of 18 clubs and a draft it's nigh on impossible to have perfect team.

What a time to come back to the forums, been away a bit for a few months. Love the Presser. Asked about Kersten going out. Scott "Gave us the opportunity to have a look at Harry Taylor forward". TRANSLATION = Yeah the s**t really hit the fan in the second half. Lol!! GG Hawkers. Ceglar, wow man, really good game.

fantastic win....from complete black hole depression at half time, to "hey we look like we have come out to play this half" to "WE ARE GOING TO WIN!!!"

Thank you Langers for those efforts, I was bursting with excitement at what you were doing....(giving us hope!)

I thought the first half was easy to watch knowing we had come back and won the game.

Recording, checking result and watching when we win FTW. :D

Bonus: got a movie night in with my son.

Hope the boys aren't celebrating that win too much. Game is over. All focus must be on that QF. Nothing else. We won. Good. Now let's move on.

Nah they'll be fine. Guys like Langers and Simpkin were pretty pumped straight after the match but the older heads like Hodge and Gibbo just tucked the mouth guards into the socks like it was business as usual. They'll make sure everyone knows the real stuff is still to come.

Chris Scott and the Cats are the biggest bunch of cheating, whinging sooks in the comp. Even Malthouse can acknowledge (usually doesn't) when the opposition were too good.

If they "weren't trying"'then what does that say about them as a club? They know what they can't match us at our best? They will pull some rabbit out if their hat in a final? Plenty of their games this year have been the same ( opposition has gotten a huge run on against them) it's just that we aren't a bunch of s**t stains like Carlton or Essendon who couldn't put them away and the umpires couldn't bail them out this time.

We were too hungry and too skilled for them and whilst it doesn't pay to "show your hand" two weeks before a final I don't feel like we did that. We didn't seem (from where I was watching in my lounge room) to do anything majorly different in the second half other than actually stick some tackles and play on quicker.

Anyway, only losers drum out the "We weren't really trying," or "We let them play well," lines. I guess we'll see in two weeks time but I think that game showed that we if can produce our best we are far better than them but if we are off our game they can beat us.

Dear Hawthorn, thank you for shutting those cheating campaigners up and giving them the reality check that they deserve.
Sincerely
Very happy Fremantle supporter.

I honestly think we are a better team than Geelong, I have for some time, but they have just kept producing something to knock us off. Hopefully last night has finally turned the table and a win in 2 weeks time will finally prove we are better. My only concern was the 2 extra days they had to prepare, as well as coming back from a tough road trip and game against Fremantle.

When we were 5 goals down, I was close to despair, I couldn't believe it, but the second half restored my faith. Scott talked it up as a positive last night, but deep inside he knows the Hawks are better, it was so obvious and I was having a chuckle to myself :)

- Spangher was picked up as a depth player and so far has proven to be more then valuable down back and during times in which we've had injuries he's come in and played a role when we've needed him.

- Langford was drafted as a rookie and was an unknown at the time but over the last 12 months or so he's coming along better then anyone would've expected.

- I can't speak highly enough of Ceglar. We got him in the rookie draft as ruck depth for last year but his rapid improvement over the last 18 months has suprised many of us as to how good he's becoming. Looking more and more likely to be our number one ruckman for the finals. I don't think anyone would've predicted that during the pre-season.

Can't believe Langford was a rookie! Looks like a first round FS pick to me!

All we hear from Chris Scott is that they will learn from their close wins and there is nothing to worry about. They only look at the positives of their games, well Chris no matter what say there is plenty to worry about the your boys can't finish of games and had the Blues had atleast one extra player on the bench you would have lost and had Mundy kicked that goal after the siren you would had lost!
Typical cocky bunch that mob is that they just can't say they were beaten by a better and more hungry team!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Simpkin was an important move - by necessity, I might add. Gave us some more pace and movement.

I was in the Shoey camp up until recently, but I think his seeming inability to mark a player closely is what gets Spangher the nod for the time being.

I too was in the Shoey camp. I think for me sadly Shoe's lower level of tenacity and occasional flat footedness makes him a worse option in tight games. When we are on the attack (from defence) his disposal is better - but Spangs kicking is good enough.

Just watched the second half this morning. In the third quarter I counted 6 high contact frees (three to us, three to them) I don't think a single one should have been paid. Two of ours where Poppy doing the Selwood-shrug, one was Langers on hands and knees getting a tiny bit of incidental contact. All three of theirs where the tackled player drawing the contact. Just let it go FFS. Meanwhile defenders can hold a forward out of the marking contest to allow a third man to take an un-contested mark and it's play on. Happens in almost every forward-line contest.

anyone see a pattern here?

Had the maggots left us alone in the first half an had they not preferenced cats we would be on top of the table. When it looked like the job was done, they let up...unfortunately the hawks got four points when 24 were on offer. The game was great to watch but there we are 2nd on the ladder. Unless doggies beat swans that is where we will stay.

damn you afl

What a game - it keeps running through my mind. A few things:

- teams don't score that heavily against us when dominating possession. We saw Freo last week 'smash' us by 3 goals despite winning every centre bounce and being allowed to run role. Last night, Geelong were all over us in the first quarter and led by a goal at quarter time. It clicked in the second but they could sustain it. Despite our defence being leakier than last year it seems the worst case scenario isnt a disaster.

- thought roughy played like a ten tonne spider. Just looked huge and nimble. Lots of great non-stat work. Looked angry.

- Burgoyne's big tackles!!! Awesome.

- Langford just keeps stepping it up. Glad to see universal acclaim despite not getting 30+ possessions.

- Some very soft and non existent free kicks in front of goal for Geelong. Don't like commenting on umpires but this was hard to ignore. I know Bartell seems like a good bloke etc but that was embarrassing. Too many Geelong players play for frees. It's changed our game as others discover it gets rewarded.

- how many inside 50 marks did we take once Taylor was out of there! They've got a huge dilemma with Kersten out. We double teamed Hawkins and once the flow out of the middle slowed he had no effect on the game. (Shove your smug grin up your arse sunshine).

- Sewell's last goal!!! Oh my

- so good to see hale building. I love the big monster and thought he was building last week but let himself down with goal kicking. Took 6 marks last week but only 5 this week.

- Ceglar picked up where he left off which was great to see. Massive dilemma with the rucks. All three bring a lot to the table. I guess the question is which of the three is the biggest liability if they have a quiet game?

- Rioli would be very handy. Breust is getting a lot of attention, Gunston is restricted and poo man doesn't have the polish to really punish offensively (although can have those big days out with 3-5 goals).

- we didn't miss Schoenmakers at all. At no stage did I think "s**t, we really need another tall guy here, or another dedicated stopper in defense". I'm a supporter of the guy but he's out of form and Geelong only managed 3 goals from talls last night. Freo also only has one marking target worth putting a tall on. Will be interesting if we change the team if we play Sydney .

- Geelong rely so much on Selwood, Johnson and Hawkins. Their outside runners are great - but they're icing not cake.

- Scott gracious in defeat, as always. Can't believe it was part of his plan to watch a side with 2 days less break coming back from Perth kick 10 in a row in the last half. What a clever dick.

- that match was a very different tone to the last 12. Whether it's a sign of things to come I'm not sure, but I enjoyed it immensely.

Watching the replay this morning with a calmer head. Best first quarter moment: Lake taking Duckwood to ground and wrenching the ball out of his hands while Duckwood flails about, Geelong go postal because no free kick got paid, ball goes down the line and to Roughy for first goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back