List Mgmt. How many list openings do we need heading in to 2015?

Remove this Banner Ad

Geebarism

Senior List
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Answering my own question - I believe 6, maybe more. However, with some shrewd maneuvering (Pelican seems to be good at that ;)), it may only be 4 slots required. My thinking is;

2 SLOTS - Upgrade both Weller & Templeton (this is where we could lessen the number of slots required by keeping both on the Rookie List - I believe we can do that for 2 years, can someone confirm?)

3 SLOTS - National Draft - (1st, 2nd & 3rd picks)

1 SLOT - Preseason Draft - Most likely for Saad.

With that being said, who vacates the slots required? I believe 4 are 'gimme's' - Lenny (so sorry to see you go Champ!), Maister (retired), TDL (delisted), Simpkin (delisted). Schneider, I hate to say it, may have spent all his tickets too. Outside of that, I'm struggling. Think there is HUGE likelihood of a surprise trade (Joey, Armo) given we've stated we want to increase picks.

I'd love to get your theories and suggestions.

Pretty sure Simpkin is contracted for next year and we won't be paying anyone out I wouldn't have thought..

Answering my own question - I believe 6, maybe more. However, with some shrewd maneuvering (Pelican seems to be good at that ;)), it may only be 4 slots required. My thinking is;

2 SLOTS - Upgrade both Weller & Templeton (this is where we could lessen the number of slots required by keeping both on the Rookie List - I believe we can do that for 2 years, can someone confirm?)

With that being said, who vacates the slots required? I believe 4 are 'gimme's' - Lenny (so sorry to see you go Champ!), Maister (retired), TDL (delisted), Simpkin (delisted). Schneider, I hate to say it, may have spent all his tickets too. Outside of that, I'm struggling. Think there is HUGE likelihood of a surprise trade (Joey, Armo) given we've stated we want to increase picks.

Dunell and Siposs might be in the firing line, TDL would be gone with Lenny and Maister. Simpkin and possibly Minchington. Schnider and Fisher both need good finishes to the year. Joey the only likely trade bait.

Serious? we have many who should be moved on IMO anyway.

Confirmed: Lenny and Beau.

Names include Siposs, Jones, Dennis-Lane, Simpkin, Milera, Dunell - contract may save Siposs, Milera and Simpkin though unless a club offers up some twisties.

While being harsh Schneider is done and Gwilt is struggling here a change could do him and St Kilda wonders.

Pierce to the rookie list is also a possibility, if it happens is another question though.

Fisher still has question marks but if he can play out the year and his body is fine might earn himself another deal.

My what i would do is

Out: Hayes, Maister, Jones, Dennis-Lane, Dunell, Schneider, Gwilt, Pierce to RL - that's 8 senior list spots.

Dunell and Siposs might be in the firing line, TDL would be gone with Lenny and Maister. Simpkin and possibly Minchington. Schnider and Fisher both need good finishes to the year. Joey the only likely trade bait.

Agree with Siposs & Dunell - am I correct in saying Dunell was part of the leadership group recently? That's why I thought he may be safe - you always want players who train the right way and prepare well to set an example. Regarding Fisher, yes, he is old, but gee he looks composed and makes great decisions with the ball.

Names include Siposs, Jones, Dennis-Lane, Simpkin, Milera, Dunell - contract may save Siposs, Milera and Simpkin though unless a club offers up some twisties.

While being harsh Schneider is done and Gwilt is struggling here a change could do him and St Kilda wonders.

Pierce to the rookie list is also a possibility, if it happens is another question though.

Fisher still has question marks but if he can play out the year and his body is fine might earn himself another deal.

My what i would do is

Out: Hayes, Maister, Jones, Dennis-Lane, Dunell, Schneider, Gwilt, Pierce to RL - that's 8 senior list spots.

As always, very insightful! See above why I think there's a chance we'll retain Dunell. Same for Jones.....terrible skills, but you can't question effort and, seemingly, preparation. Gwilt is a tough one for mine - what sort of currency do you think he'd attract?

My what i would do is

Good posts. I think Gwildt wil stick around, even just for depth. Hope Schnider can get his form back as well, however he was bad last week unfortunately.

If you upgrade Eli and Weller, i'm assuming you're also delisting Minch/Shenton? If that's the case, then we need to take 4 rookies as well (definitely not a fan of this - sure maybe we'll get lucky and get a slider, but no drafts have enough depth to pick up 4 rookies along with our ND selections)

We are 18th on the ladder with 4 wins, there is not that many on the list that should be safe if we are to improve as a team players like Gwilt, Jones , Schnider have to be moved on. I believe it will be 8 - 10 spots

As always, very insightful! See above why I think there's a chance we'll retain Dunell. Same for Jones.....terrible skills, but you can't question effort and, seemingly, preparation. Gwilt is a tough one for mine - what sort of currency do you think he'd attract?
I'd be surprised if Dunells and Jones papers aren't already stamped.

Gwilt if a club offers him a deal might get us a 3rd rounder.

If you upgrade Eli and Weller, i'm assuming you're also delisting Minch/Shenton? If that's the case, then we need to take 4 rookies as well (definitely not a fan of this - sure maybe we'll get lucky and get a slider, but no drafts have enough depth to pick up 4 rookies along with our ND selections)
....as Manimal_Dunstan quite astutely said above, maybe we drop Pierce back to the rookie list to put a rocket up him? Maybe we only upgrade one of Weller & Templeton? BTW - hadn't considered this was the final year for Minch/Shenton to be Rookies, so thanks (seriously) for enlightening me. _

....as Manimal_Dunstan quite astutely said above, maybe we drop Pierce back to the rookie list to put a rocket up him? Maybe we only upgrade one of Weller & Templeton? BTW - hadn't considered this was the final year for Minch/Shenton to be Rookies, so thanks (seriously) for enlightening me. _
Not to put a rocket up him, he doesn't need a rocket he is by reports developing nicely down at Sandringham but i don't think he'll play much at all next year so give him a couple of more years on the rookie list to develop without taking a senior list position where we can possibly put someone in his place who would be more likely to play in 2015.

I'd be surprised if Dunells and Jones papers aren't already stamped.

Gwilt if a club offers him a deal might get us a 3rd rounder.
Respect your opinion, and you're probably correct, BUT.....hope both Dunell & Jones stay. Need both to lead by example on the track, and in the magoo's. Yeah, you've really got me starting to agree on Gwilt.....won't be around for the next tilt, isn't a leader, patchy form....all signs point to yes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not to put a rocket up him, he doesn't need a rocket he is by reports developing nicely down at Sandringham but i don't think he'll play much at all next year so give him a couple of more years on the rookie list to develop without taking a senior list position where we can possibly put someone in his place who would be more likely to play in 2015.
My bad....didn't mean to put words in your mouth...'rocket up him' were my words, not yours. Apologies.

Unrela

Unrelated - taking a break to watch Stewie Loewe 'On The Couch'!

What I would do...

Out: Maister, Hayes, Jones, Dennis-Lane, Dunnell, Pierce.

Trade 1 or 2: Simpkin, Gwilt, Sipposs, Milera.

Rookie list: Pierce, Saad

Upgrade: Weller, Shenton, Minchington

Gives four or five picks in the draft along with the upgrades.

First: Petracca
Second: Gippy Power kid with good footskills
Third: McKenzie
Fourth: Daniel
Fifth: Weller
Sixth: Shenton
Seventh: Minchington

Rookie: one rookie place left with Pierce and Saad going on it

Alternatively if we have an extra spot or don't pick up Daniel could PSD Jacksch

Respect your opinion, and you're probably correct, BUT.....hope both Dunell & Jones stay. Need both to lead by example on the track, and in the magoo's. Yeah, you've really got me starting to agree on Gwilt.....won't be around for the next tilt, isn't a leader, patchy form....all signs point to yes.
Hope we don't keep (Jones & Dunell) players on the list because they are good trainers and magoo players

Hope we don't keep (Jones & Dunell) players on the list because they are good trainers and magoo players
Not to dismiss your post, and I say this with all due respect, in my opinion I think you underestimate the value of setting a good example when it comes to training standard, preparation and leadership.

What I would do...

Alternatively if we have an extra spot or don't pick up Daniel could PSD Jacksch

Would love to get Petracca, only thing is he is a right footer....probably not in Pelchen's plans! ;) Hope I'm wrong, but I think this years draft is deep, but lacking in outstanding talent (contradiction?!).

Can't think ANY club would offer something of worth for any of your trade options with the exception of Gwilt. And as said earlier by Manimal_Dunstan , he's probably only going to get 3rd round pick at best.

Good post - once again, really insightful. Thanks.

Not to dismiss your post, and I say this with all due respect, in my opinion I think you underestimate the value of setting a good example when it comes to training standard, preparation and leadership.
There's plenty of other players doing that.

What I would do...

What abt Eli Templeton?

What abt Eli Templeton?
Eli wont be upgraded for next year, his arm break basically guaranteed it and besides, he is still going to be a 19yo kid with a lot of development still yet to have. He will definitly get upgraded during the season though and play 10+ games, but with list spots being awfully tight this year he will just be the one we can put aside for a little big longer.

Its time to get out the chainsaw. Any player who is off contract and not seen as a potential premiership player should be considering their future career choices.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back