If you could pick any athlete to play AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

If you're going for title of best sportsmen you'd surely through up guys like Dan O'Brien, Daley Thompson, Jurgen Hingsen etc. All Track & Field decathletes, all world class performers with a variety of abilities across different events.

They could be interesting to watch given their size, power and versatility.

Agreed and Jim Thorpe would get a mention as well. If you're going more modern day U.S. sportsmen, the two most recent to excel professionally in two team sports, Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders, would be handy.

Having a tall goalkeeper, like Manuel Neuer or Joe Hart, as your fullback would be interesting, but I'm not sure how their skill-set would translate to Aussie Rules.

Here's my team of current sportsmen:

B: Vincent Kompany (Manchester City), Dwight Howard (Orlando Magic), Arian Foster (Houston Texans)
HB: Billy Slater (Melbourne Storm), DeMarcus Ware (Dallas Cowboys), Darrelle Revis (New York Jets)
C: Calvin Johnson (Detroit Lions), Chris Paul (Los Angeles Clippers), Richie McCaw (Canterbury Crusaders)
HF: Jose Reyes (New York Mets), Rob Gronkowski (New England Patriots), Lionel Messi (Barcelona)
F: Robin Van Persie (Arsenal), Blake Griffin (Los Angeles Clippers), Larry Fitzgerald (Arizona Cardinals)
R: LeBron James (Miami Heat), Trey Hardee (U.S.A. track and field), Derrick Rose (Chicago Bulls)
I/C: Brian O'Driscoll (Leinster), Dwyane Wade (Miami Heat), Robert Griffin (Washington Redskins), Kerron Clement (U.S.A. track and field)

Not an athlete persay, but Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson. He'd make Tarrant's arms look like a babies.

me.

fat, fourty, fair and flatuent. id have a great time! if just my kness werent so ****ed..

Lebron would be great until he gets any physical contact and goes down like a sack of s**t.
If I had to pick someone from the NBA it'd be SHAQ

Lebron would be great until he gets any physical contact and goes down like a sack of s**t.
If I had to pick someone from the NBA it'd be SHAQ
Yeah, someone with LeBron's athletic ability would be amazing. Complete soft **** though.

Could you imagine some of the athletes in the NBA playing AFL? I feel it'd take speckies to another level.

Could you imagine some of the athletes in the NBA playing AFL? I feel it'd take speckies to another level.

Shaq in his prime would be amazing. 5cm taller than Sandilands and about 30 kilos heavier, and he moved so well. Plonk him in the goal square and good luck to whoever had to defend him.

Shaq in his prime would be amazing. 5cm taller than Sandilands and about 30 kilos heavier, and he moved so well. Plonk him in the goal square and good luck to whoever had to defend him.
And a guy like Amare Stoudamire (in his youth), 6'11 and had the agility of a shooting guard/small forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anotonio Valencia would go alright i reckon! strong, very quick and a team player
No left foot however.

I would pick C.Ronaldo as he can out jump most players, is fast, is pretty strong and is the most dedicated sportsperson on this planet.

LeBron James is a freak, got the height, got the speed and got the strength.

There aren't many soccer players that I think would be good at Australian football, but I would say Cristiano Ronaldo if any.

Usain Bolt could be good as well. Obviously fast, and quite decent at other sports outside of Athletics.

Shaq in his prime as a full forward. Chuck him in the goalsquare and pop it up high. 7'1, 150kg of pure muscle. Good luck finding someone to put on him.

Also one of the most agile and quick 7 footers ever, despite weighing so much.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic would be a freak AFL player...

195cm, speed, agility, strength, motor, awesome foot skills, athleticism, and most important of all, he's got the attitude for AFL.

decent sub then?
If Johna had of grown up playing AFL in VIC, im sure he could have been moulded into an awesome player. The criteria of big, athletic and smart, with great endurance he gets only 2 out of 4. Could he have made the cut.......I doubt it.

Three strike policy would have him out during his first preseason!

haha true, You can tell that he was off the roids from 01-04 though, still a hell of an athlete and did some of his best work in that period. Big african/samoan... you can't buy those genes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back