Opinion Is Jordan Lewis a genuine Brownlow chance?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are you posting stats and rankings? Umpires vote straight after the game with no knowledge of stats or rankings.

I personally believe that to be a myth. Umpires surely have an idea of who had the post touches and what not. Hence why I posted the rankings as Tazz is quite effective with his disposals as to make him stand out a bit more.

I personally believe that to be a myth. Umpires surely have an idea of who had the post touches and what not. Hence why I posted the rankings as Tazz is quite effective with his disposals as to make him stand out a bit more.
Umpires are provided the stat sheet after the game. I think that is a mistake.

Votes are obviously given by different teams of umpires each game. Who knows what a particular set of umps have seen, are looking for, will remember about a game. Maybe Lewis has said something "colourful" to them in the past and they hold that against him.

That said, I've been keeping my own guesses at Brownlow votes for every game this season. Don't get to watch most games so I do have to go off a combination of player position (midfield bias), Brownlow polling history' supercoach scores, disposal counts (bitches love disposals) and match reports for the games I don't see.

I currently have Lewis on 25 votes after getting the 3 last night (better known than Langers) and the week before (44 disposals means you had the ball enough to stand out). I have Selwood and Ablett on 26 as leaders.

But like I said, who knows how the umps will vote.

How was his start to the year? if he can steal 10 votes in the first half of the year then he will be a massive chance to take it out. He has finished this year like a freight train!

I did a little analysis of our match stats during last week that had him polling (generously) around 20-23. We all know stats themselves aren't the best measure of Brownlow vote gettingness (TM), but they can be a reasonable indicator. With Lewis' tendency to rack up numerous clearances he should be in front of the umpires enough to get noticed, but he doesn't traditionally poll well - hence I say I was generous.

Would love him to get top five, but can't see it happening. More important is that he is in the top five on a winning Grand Final day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i thought the umpires were provided the match stats after the game?

anyways, this year i hope the top 5 vote getters are all ineligible and the medal falls to a smokey. just for a laugh and to show up the farcical nature of the medal.

So I was sitting around with a group of mates last night watching the game against the cats. Inevitably we started talking about who we thought would win the Brownlow, with the obvious names like Ablett, Pendlebury, and Selwood coming up, even my mate who support Freo said the Nat Fyfe would poll the most votes.

But then they all said something that made my ears burn. They all thought that Jordan Lewis was also a genuine chance to win the Brownlow this year. Passing it off as just a wind up I forgot about it and continued watching the game. It popped into my head this morning so I decided to look up his stats for the season so far...

He's averaging;
- 27 disposals a game. (13 kicks and 14 handballs)
- 5 marks
- 4 tackles

He's also;
- 7th in total disposals in the league.
- 5th in effective disposals per game.
- 3rd in total effective disposals.

Looking at those, he is without a doubt a chance to win the Brownlow this year. Just my two-cents.

Thoughts?
Cried with laughter when I saw the title of this thread, cried even more when I read it. Thanks for the entertainment!

The Brownlow medal is usually a retrospective award were a year of media hype has the umpires voting for that player come the start of the next season.

I'll be laying money on Fyfe for next season that is for sure.

Cried with laughter when I saw the title of this thread, cried even more when I read it. Thanks for the entertainment!

It's really not that surprising that a freo supporter wouldn't recognise a quality player when they saw one in action.

Will poll in 8-12 games (probably 10). If he gets 6-7 best on grounds then he is a shot but I think he will get about 20-22 votes and fall just short. It will be a low score this year due to so many favs suspended.
steven-bradbury-.jpg

Is brown the new green.

Not a vote getter historically

View attachment 75792
He's always had to take a back seat in the midfield to the likes of Hodge and Mitchell. A lot of his game time was spent play on the half forward flank.
This year he's been the main man in the midfield. Even now that Mitchell is back Lewis is "the guy". He's been ripping it up in the midfield consistently every game and on a few occasions has floated back to take some important intercept marks and floated forward to kick some really important goals.

It won't be a crime if he doesn't win it by any stretch. It will however be a shame if people consider it a Bradbury if he does win it. He is quite possibly the biggest reason we were able to keep it together through that horrible injury filled portion of the season and be in the position we are now. Would be a very deserving winner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back