is luke shuey serious?

Remove this Banner Ad

Didnt he also have a laterish start to his career with injuries and the unfortunate death of his sister?

Is this one of the instances where we take the stats seriously or not because I am never quite sure at any given point in time around here. I will go with yes simply because I get that vibe. Need like a hash tag.
You;d have to ask Rids about this one, pretty sure it was yesterday he was declaiming that it was obvious Priddis was our best performed mid his season, and he works for CD so you'd think he'd be full bottle on all this. A revolt within CD?!

Is this one of the instances where we take the stats seriously or not because I am never quite sure at any given point in time around here. I will go with yes simply because I get that vibe. Need like a hash tag.

I dont know - but id think myself that being as it is usually pro priddis people insisting that the stats are the be all and end all......

I remember when all the Bigfooty sooks wanted to trade Shuey when it was painfully obvious he was/is our most important midfielder.

If i recall, i don't think they were referring to Shuey on his own. After several pathetic efforts from our midfield this year, and Shuey suffering from a tag, several people were of the belief that our entire midfield is "tradeable"

Nobody has ever called him a bad player. Just questioned his heart, when under a tag, and the way he can bully the s**t teams.

The WCE have been screaming out for the next A Grade Mid to emerge for a number of years now and Luke Shuey has always seemed to be the main contender but can he bridge the gap from good player to AFL elite.

Recruited at pick 18 in the 2008, Shuey struggled to get on the park due to a mix of injury concerns and a family tragedy.

In the five years since his drafting he has continued to tease with his speed, line breaking ability and elite skill set without actually taking that next step.

His 21.8 disposals average and just under one goal a game over his career is a reasonable return without being great with the larger percentage of disposals listed as uncontested.

"Next year is going to be his breakout year" has been sprouted regularly and more that ever before it has to be now. Shuey is 25 years of age next year so 2015 has to be it.

WC sit outside the 8 at seasons end and failed to win the games we were in a position to win. We need a midfielder to emerge, a player that can win the ball, slow the game down when needed,stand up when the game is on the line and lead in playing the game on our terms. All the top teams have this type of player.

I believe that Shuey can finally be this player with the way he finished off the season.

He worked with Adam Selwood to learn how to overcome the tag which is standard attire for elite midfielders and he learnt to push through tackles rather than fall into them chasing the free kick.

When you push through a pack and burst out the other side you and your team have momentum that you loose even if you secure the free and have to go back for your kick.

Shuey as a inside mid only averages 9.56 uncontested possessions while this increased to 13.48 in the last five games and is certainly a move in the right direction.

I noticed he put his body more behind the ball rather than thrusting out a hand or an arm in a attempt to retrieve it with great success.

He ran harder to put himself in the frame at more contests and we saw him grow in confidence with each performance.

Under Simpsons guidance he has now given himself every chance to take that leap of faith to the next level and impact games and influence their outcome.

2015 is the year that finally the Shuey Fits and other teams are set to wear it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We already have a thread for this. He has gone to the next level in the second half of the year. Breaking tags and causing damage. He will be in the top 10-20 mids in the comp next year injury permitting.

I can see him going a step further after making some major improvements after the half way point of the season. I really rate the work that Rawlings has been doing with the likes of Shuey and Gaff too. Shuey i thought seemed a bit immature leading into the season but have noticed as the season went on he took more responsibility and lead the way. Next year i want to see him kick some more goals like in 2011 & 2012.

His skills are ELITE.

Hopefully he can string together some consistent form in 2015. He will be important if we're aiming for finals.

He definitely took on more responsibility this year. I noticed him get angry at the opposition a lot too*. Seems to have matured and I wouldn't be against him being the next captain, especially if he keeps doing this:

*notice how he gives the Suns player a little punch to the chest

Shuey had 2 Bog games in the Brownlow medal count in rd 2 v Melb (H) 3 votes and in Brisbane rd 17 (A) 3 votes plus 1 vote v GWS (H) and 1 vote v Collingwood (H)

What worries me is that these were struggling teams that Wce belted .

He definitely took on more responsibility this year. I noticed him get angry at the opposition a lot too*. Seems to have matured and I wouldn't be against him being the next captain, especially if he keeps doing this:

I could watch that all day. Shuey has definitely stepped up in the later half of this season. If injury doesn't cruel him next season then I can see him sit easily among the top 15 midfielders in the comp.

You also see Priddis running away from his opponent for the cheap stat instead of offering the shepperd. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back