Autopsy Jack Redden Requests Trade

Remove this Banner Ad

What you do is not release it. When you do you also spin the story to minimise how poorly it reflects on the club.

We are supposed to be a team heading in the right direction but we have multiple footballers wanting out. It looks very ugly.

Once again you counter an argument without providing one of your own.
If the club doesn't release it someone else will. Players asking for a trade is ugly. There is no way around that.

Once again you are barking up the wrong tree. You seem to have it out for any decision the club and our media department make.

If the club doesn't release it someone else will. Players asking for a trade is ugly. There is no way around that.

Once again you are barking up the wrong tree. You seem to have it out for any decision the club and our media department make.

I don't. Just they've handled the Adcock and Redden issues very poorly.

Schwab lets slip in some podcast SFA people would listen to that Redden will ask for a trade. That is not controlling the story. It also doesn't look good for Redden. We take control of the story and Leppa tells us before hand that players may be moved on if they do not buy into his gameplan. Or hold onto it until trade period.

As it is, it just looks like there is a large chunk of the playing group not on board with where the club is heading.

I go back to what Swan said on the lions site late August..."That changes are being made at the Gabba and tough decisions are essential to turn the Club into AFL contender."....

Took that as a pre warning that I'm not going to like what's going to happen but it will be for the better.... So far the 1st bit of that is correct...

Our club leaks like a sieve ATM. If we didn't announce it and control the story a bit ourselves, Damo would have instead.

As disappointing as it is, looks like the disgruntled players are the ones leaking all the info. Once we get rid of the leaks so to speak, we can get the ship back on the seas again.

Few people have mentioned the Bulldogs. At the start of the year with all the experienced players they lost, most people had them penciled in for bottom 4. Amazing what can happen when the group is solidified and working together. Not saying we will be as good as the Bulldogs, I don't think the situation with Redden is as bad as people are making out either. He's a very vanilla footballer.

that courier mail article isn't that surprising. Redden would have felt threatened looking at the recruits last year, hanley moving into midfield, rich back from knee operation etc. and he has stagnated the last 3-4 seasons not just this year. still a good b grade midfielder who is worth a top 20 pick but nowhere near an A grade top 10+ steak knives (or premium Pick 5, 25, +)

I go back to what Swan said on the lions site late August..."That changes are being made at the Gabba and tough decisions are essential to turn the Club into AFL contender."....

Took that as a pre warning that I'm not going to like what's going to happen but it will be for the better.... So far the 1st bit of that is correct...
Just sucks that we all have heard the same crap before in terms of making tough decisions and going through a rebuild to become competitive again. It's been 5 years since the first rebuild and we are no better off. Only difference is Black, Brown, Patfull, etc have been replaced by Beams, Christensen, Freeman, Taylor, etc. We have a good foundation to build on, but if we lose Redden, Aish, Leuy and Adcock this season clearly we have the right to ask the club what is the root problem hear.

Last edited:

The decision has been made Redden though to try and get away from the Lions. The story from the Lions so far has been they'll do what they can to hold onto him.

That's how it has been played out through the media where most people get the information that allows them to form opinions. You have to remember on this site we are speaking mostly to Lions supporters with superior knowledge about what's happening and have access to inside information that most don't. There would be a lot of Lions supporters that believe what Hammo, Damo, etc. write which is why we have to take control of the narrative. We have tried to do this with Andrews being happy to wait for success but have failed with Jed being pushed out and Redden wanting out.

We all know there are some sooky types in this next generation but can't imagine Leppa being anywhere near as confrontational as Lyon or Rocket or Bucks for example and I certainly never thought Reddo would be one to have an issue with it.

I'm not here to troll, I find this to be an interesting comment. Among many of the Collingwood supporters I speak to, Buckley seems to be regarded as something of a 'soft-touch' in his dealings with players. I recall a game last year (v Hawthorn) where he grabbed Witts by the shirt, as if he wanted to shake some sense into him, but it was notable for being uncharacteristic. Lyon also seems generally calm in demeanour, although Eade has a knack for being unhinged.

To an external observer (who might otherwise be categorised as someone who knows sweet **** all), Leppa seems to be more aggressive in his approach. Maybe this perception is as wrong as your perception of Buckley. It might have something to do with the Zac O'Brien incident, or something about his hard-line playing days and helping to beat us in two GFs, or whatever. In any case, the discrepancy between 'internal' and 'external' perception remains a curious thing, and I always assumed that Lions supporters also saw Leppa as a slightly 'confrontational' type.

I'm not here to troll
iUiRust.gif

I'm not here to troll, I find this to be an interesting comment. Among many of the Collingwood supporters I speak to, Buckley seems to be regarded as something of a 'soft-touch' in his dealings with players. I recall a game last year (v Hawthorn) where he grabbed Witts by the shirt, as if he wanted to shake some sense into him, but it was notable for being uncharacteristic. Lyon also seems generally calm in demeanour, although Eade has a knack for being unhinged.

To an external observer (who might otherwise be categorised as someone who knows sweet **** all), Leppa seems to be more aggressive in his approach. Maybe this perception is as wrong as your perception of Buckley. It might have something to do with the Zac O'Brien incident, or something about his hard-line playing days and helping to beat us in two GFs, or whatever. In any case, the discrepancy between 'internal' and 'external' perception remains a curious thing, and I always assumed that Lions supporters also saw Leppa as a slightly 'confrontational' type.

I think that what VP is trying to say is that we should share the 'burden' of trolling the Brisbane board, maybe by wearing 10 points each but avoiding serious strife.

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

You couldn't get past those first five words, huh. Once a troll, always a troll I suppose. Boy who cried 'no troll', etc. I will live with my misdeeds.

Anyway, I was/am genuinely curious about the Leppo/Bucks thing.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You couldn't get past those first five words, huh. Once a troll, always a troll I suppose. Boy who cried 'no troll', etc. I will live with my misdeeds.

Anyway, I was/am genuinely curious about the Leppo/Bucks thing.:thumbsu:
Leppa is getting a reputation these days for having difficult conversations with players that they don't want to hear, and may in fact not be a soft touch. Sounds like the opposite actually.

Also:

I think that what VP is trying to say is that we should share the 'burden' of trolling the Brisbane board, maybe by wearing 10 points each but avoiding serious strife.
Read more at http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/jack-redden-requests-trade.1109852/page-14#D7b4UPejLuu35hoj.99

This thread is not that old, so I would would treat your posts in it as more comedy than a real contribution.

Leppa is getting a reputation these days for having difficulty conversations with players that they don't want to hear, and may in fact not be a soft touch. Sounds like the opposite actually.

Also:

This thread is not that old, so I would would treat your posts in it as more comedy than a real contribution.

They're a sad bunch aren't they. How ******* stupid do you have to be to get enjoyment from that. Getting rid of Collingwood fans would be a great way to improve the gene pool.

They're a sad bunch aren't they. How ******* stupid do you have to be to get enjoyment from that. Getting rid of Collingwood fans would be a great way to improve the gene pool.

Ironically, the "irrelevant" Brions have never been more relevant to Collingwood supporters. Pathological obsession wouldn't be overstating it.

They really need to wash their underpants. There is still sand from 2002-2003 in there.

Not stupid, just guilty of occasional bouts of schadenfreude. It's a failing of all supporters from time to time. It turns out I have unexamined issues regarding the Lions which date back to 2002/2003, which are sometimes needled by more contemporary happenings. But football is a game with a memory, and I don't think this should change.

I will give your contribution to genetic science the same sort of consideration you've given my earlier post.

Just sucks that we all have heard the same crap before in terms of making tough decisions and going through a rebuild to become competitive again. It's been 5 years since the first rebuild and we are no better off. Only difference is Black, Brown, Patfull, etc have been replaced by Beams, Christensen, Freeman, Taylor, etc. We have a good foundation to build on, but if we lose Redden, Aish, Leuy and Adcock this season clearly we have the right to ask the club what is the root problem hear.

We never bottomed out properly though. Voss started a rebuild after our finals push didnt work, then the board pushed the club towards wins not the long term goal. We nesrly made finals in his last year. We havent made tough decisions and moved on players like we are now. We've been too scared to ask for more from our 'top' players, too worried about losing players. Time for the playing group to either put in and come along for the ride, or GTFO at the next stop.

As disappointing as it is, looks like the disgruntled players are the ones leaking all the info. Once we get rid of the leaks so to speak, we can get the ship back on the seas again.

Few people have mentioned the Bulldogs. At the start of the year with all the experienced players they lost, most people had them penciled in for bottom 4. Amazing what can happen when the group is solidified and working together. Not saying we will be as good as the Bulldogs, I don't think the situation with Redden is as bad as people are making out either. He's a very vanilla footballer.
The thing is, (and I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record here) the Bulldogs didn't lose 19 and 24 year olds. Perhaps this is a little pessimistic of me, but I can't help but wonder if we're all just looking for glimmers of hope in a situation devoid of them. I do see some direction in where the club is trying to take the list. Unfortunately, it just looks like a rebuild on a rebuild. Permanent revolution didn't work so well, and I doubt permanent rebuild would either. Perhaps this time it will be different, the club has a plan. But we probably said that last time too.

The thing is, (and I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record here) the Bulldogs didn't lose 19 and 24 year olds. Perhaps this is a little pessimistic of me, but I can't help but wonder if we're all just looking for glimmers of hope in a situation devoid of them. I do see some direction in where the club is trying to take the list. Unfortunately, it just looks like a rebuild on a rebuild. Permanent revolution didn't work so well, and I doubt permanent rebuild would either. Perhaps this time it will be different, the club has a plan. But we probably said that last time too.

My biggest issue is we have very little talent under the age of 23. Andrews is the only potential A grader I can see under the age of 23 on our list. Gardiner will also be a solid contributor but the rest all have some serious deficiencies that our club would seem to be uncapable of improving. The club seems to have faith that at some point this group of kids will start playing good footy but I don't I think we will have to wait until the next wave coming in the next 3-5 drafts to see where our next push into the top 8 will come from. Unless the club can pull off a miracle and keep in tact our current list as well as trading some decent, experienced footballers in from other clubs.

The Hamilton update is worrying

LIONS skipper Tom Rockliff can’t see any way for the club to retain disgruntled star Jack Redden, who is reportedly at odds with coach Justin Leppitsch.

Rockliff said he had spoken “at length” with close friend and former flatmate Redden about his request for a trade but doubted he could change his mate’s mind.

He said confirmation of the long-rumoured the Redden trade could force Brisbane to re-evaluate how it operated certain aspects of the football club.

v1

He said he would “swap salaries” to keep Redden at the Gabba.

“Obviously, it’s disappointing. Reddo is my best mate so it does make it hard when he says that (he wants to be traded),’’ Rockliff said today.

“Obviously we have to look at the way we do things around the footy club.

“If he is upset obviously we need to improve in some areas of out footy club to make sure that we can retain them and keep players happy.

“It was pretty hard to swallow. It wasn’t easy for him to make that decision either.

“He’s given it a long period of thought and came to that decision.

“Our main focus is to try and keep him . . . but he seems pretty set on it at the moment but we’ll see how we go.

“I don’t think there’s anything I can do, to be honest, to change his mind.

“His issues are with other things within the footy club.”

Rockliff said rumours of a player exodus from the Gabba was a worry.

“That’s probably the concern at the moment, yeah,’’ he said.

“ I think when one (player) goes you are always worried. There’s speculation about a lot of players.

“We don’t know until they come and tell us.

“I think most of the group is pretty happy and can see the future and where we are heading. There might be the odd couple that can’t.’’

Bit of a pessimistic thought.. But who's next? Trade period hasn't even started and if Redden has become disgruntled enough to request a trade or at least be thinking about it than surely there must be others packing their bags.

Buckley appears to me as being intense rather than massively confrontational but some people interpret that intensity as confrontational. Don't think he's a bad coach or anything like that. He's just hell bent on being successful and will push the players for success. That's not a bad thing or a criticism. Most coaches are confrontations at times. If you're not you're not doing your job. Peppa is similar but is also a bit of a joker along the way. Buckleys humour and ability to break tension is still there, just pretty dry in style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back