James Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn need to target young mids before Frawley.
Reckon your right, more than happy with Gibson, Shoenmakers,Stratton and Spangher down back when Lake retires. Hawks also have Brand and Heatherley developing at Box Hill.

Desperately need a midfielder in the mould of Shaun Burgoyne to compliment Lewis, Shiels, Anderson, Hartung, Whitecross and Co. Someone like Shiel, O'Rourke or upgrading our first pick for someone like Christian Petracca.

Reckon your right, more than happy with Gibson, Shoenmakers,Stratton and Spangher down back when Lake retires. Hawks also have Brand and Heatherley developing at Box Hill.

Desperately need a midfielder in the mould of Shaun Burgoyne to compliment Lewis, Shiels, Anderson, Hartung, Whitecross and Co. Someone like Shiel, O'Rourke or upgrading our first pick for someone like Christian Petracca.

None of these guys can play 1 on 1 against quality KPFs. We'll see how far Schoenmakers has come when Lake is on holidays. I can't see why we can't target Frawley and a mid at the same time.

Frawley should be a priority, people have forgotten how the high ball into our defence killed us against the teams with power forwards that are good.

In a nutshell.
Plan A: Shoey isolated, power forward marks and goals.
Plan B: See above, but Gibbo leaves his man and spoils leaving his man open to crumb, this worked out due to Gibsons great timing and courage.
Plan C: Teams work out Plan B and start to play through Gibbo's man.

We are good enough to beat most teams but Geelong and Sydney will and have used this pre Brian Lake to great effect.

You put Frawley into the Hawthorn team and he'll be your best defender. People don't realize how hard it can be playing in our back 6, put him somewhere where his team doesn't concede 55+ inside 50s a game and he'll shine.

Any chance he could go to Freo?

Watching him on the weekend really made me think he's a born defender. He's an immovable object and can athletically go with most key forwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frawley isn't worth throwing the kitchen sink at. Worth between pick 10-15, which means you're probably better off grabbing a cheap reject and building them into a better player than throwing 600-800K at Frawley.

Defenders just aren't worth that coin. Not even the best defender in the league is worth that.

Frawley isn't worth throwing the kitchen sink at. Worth between pick 10-15, which means you're probably better off grabbing a cheap reject and building them into a better player than throwing 600-800K at Frawley.

Defenders just aren't worth that coin. Not even the best defender in the league is worth that.
That's the thing with free agency, players will attract more money. Also having a guy who can play forward and back may increase his value.

Lol defenders aren't worth that coin?!

Defence wins premierships.

It does, along with forwards, mids and rucks.

My point is they're pretty easy to find without breaking the bank.

You said even the best defender in the league isn't worth 600 - 800?

I would say that is wrong, the very best defenders are hard to find.

You said even the best defender in the league isn't worth 600 - 800?

I would say that is wrong, the very best defenders are hard to find.

I wouldn't say they are hard to find I would say they take a while to mature. A high percentage of the top key defenders are later picks, recycled players or mature aged recruits. Guys like Alipate Carlisle, Taylor, Lake, Richards, Gibson etc all fall into that category but the common thread is they matured late, key position defenders don't really play their best footy until 24+. Is there much difference in the job they do? Not particularly, but if it's an area of concern you are either going to have to pick a mature guy from the state leagues who will most likely do a lesser job, invest 5 years into an 18 year old or throw money at the only guy on the market who happens to be Frawley.

While I don't agree that they are hard to find, Frawley is worth the money simply because the sides at the pointy end are looking for immediate returns, what he provides is going to be far better than anything plucked from the state leagues and if you are Hawthorn/Freo, right in your window, with cap space and not much left on the free agency cabinet why wouldn't you throw it at an AA full back with heaps of footy left in him? Could very well be the difference between a flag and a prelim exit.

W
I wouldn't say they are hard to find I would say they take a while to mature. A high percentage of the top key defenders are later picks, recycled players or mature aged recruits. Guys like Alipate Carlisle, Taylor, Lake, Richards, Gibson etc all fall into that category but the common thread is they matured late, key position defenders don't really play their best footy until 24+. Is there much difference in the job they do? Not particularly, but if it's an area of concern you are either going to have to pick a mature guy from the state leagues who will most likely do a lesser job, invest 5 years into an 18 year old or throw money at the only guy on the market who happens to be Frawley.

While I don't agree that they are hard to find, Frawley is worth the money simply because the sides at the pointy end are looking for immediate returns, what he provides is going to be far better than anything plucked from the state leagues and if you are Hawthorn/Freo, right in your window, with cap space and not much left on the free agency cabinet why wouldn't you throw it at an AA full back with heaps of footy left in him? Could very well be the difference between a flag and a prelim exit.
Without replacements for Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne, Sewell the ball will continue to be kicked over his head 55+ times a game in years to come.

Freo best fit for mine

Remove this Banner Ad

Back