James Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it is simple. Pay 570k and give melbourne a 1st and 2nd round pick. Hawthorn would be a great spot for him considering the mentors down back we have. Lake, Gibson and Schoenmakers. Not to mention he could be a future captain for us. I can imagine Frawley leading a young pack of hawks. ;) Does anyone agree?

A top 5 pick would be enough - they won't get a 2nd round pick as well.

Not a great comparison as Roughy is a flat track bully who only gets goals against the battlers. Been named in the best in 2 of 16 finals games. Thats why the hawks pay the big money to the big game players like Mitchell and Hodge.

Hawkins - 36 marks 14 goals
Roughey - 44 Marks 18 goals

Both played 10 finals since 2008. I know who I would prefer.

Am I right in believing Frawley is coming off a front loaded contract that will subsequently reduce any comp for the demons, say like end of first rounder?

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I right in believing Frawley is coming off a front loaded contract that will subsequently reduce any comp for the demons, say like end of first rounder?
No, it'll depend on the contract he receives at his new club (and his age, 25 which will contribute to maximising compo given hes in his prime). We'll most likely be getting a pick after our first.

Last edited by a moderator:

No, it'll depend on the contract he receives at his new club (and his age, 25 which will contribute to maximising compo given hes in his prime). We'll most likely be getting a pick after our first.

Unless he signs to another club on $150,000 a year for one year..

...then signs another deal on day one of the preseason to extend that by four years and $2,000,000.

...then signs another deal on day one of the preseason to extend that by four years and $2,000,000.

Interesting take on it, doubt it would happen. Doesn't appear to be any bad blood, why would he screw them like that?

Interesting take on it, doubt it would happen. Doesn't appear to be any bad blood, why would he screw them like that?
Exactly, why would he deliberately screw us over (he'll already be doing that by leaving), in what could be seen as draft tampering.

It's not up to him, why would a club want to give a top ten pick to Melbourne?
You're living in fantasy land, it's not going to happen. Frawley would want the security of a guaranteed contract if he leaves. What happens if he gets a career ending injury before signing this other magical contract that screws us over for no apparent reason other than some BF random wants him to?

You're living in fantasy land, it's not going to happen. Frawley would want the security of a guaranteed contract if he leaves. What happens if he gets a career ending injury before signing this other magical contract that screws us over for no apparent reason other than some BF random wants him to?

Clubs make deals under the table, Kurt Tippett had one at Adelaide but since there is no trading involved it's not tampering with a draft unless Melbourne feel entitled to extra first round picks.

They could sign him on $150,000 a year for three years all upfront and renegotiate on day one, Melbourne would get their third round pick.

It would be draft tampering. IN your scenario the club deliberately manipulates contracts in order to alter compensation picks. All the contracts need to be approved by the AFL. If they then renegotiate it immediately for 10+ times that amount, do you really think that would go down well? They risk losing all their picks for the next 3 years and getting fined a few million, just so they move up 1 place in the draft. :drunk::confused::rolleyes:

We're entitled to fair compensation if he leaves.

Last edited:
It's not up to him, why would a club want to give a top ten pick to Melbourne?
Someone has to have that top 10 pick. Melbourne are most likely to mess it up so why not let them have it.

If you can believe the reports his management were/are spruiking $700k for 6 or 7 years. The reality is that he is a very good player but not elite (yet anyway!!). That sort of money and time if it has any basis of truth should net the Demons a pick after their first round pick.
For comparison the Demons got pick 23 for Sylvia last year and he was older, an average player (mid) and probably on around $250k+ and cannot get a regular game for Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you can believe the reports his management were/are spruiking $700k for 6 or 7 years. The reality is that he is a very good player but not elite (yet anyway!!). That sort of money and time if it has any basis of truth should net the Demons a pick after their first round pick.
For comparison the Demons got pick 23 for Sylvia last year and he was older, an average player (mid) and probably on around $250k+ and cannot get a regular game for Freo.
Sylvia left for closer to $400k a year

I can't see that happening. Surely that would be investigated by the Integrity officers or whatever they are called. I mean this would go against the whole free agency process. Also there would be no real reason to do this from Frawley' spoint of view.

The way free agents are going about it he wil use his free agant status to maximise a deal i.e. 5 years and plenty of cash. I would be surprised if he left for a small contract in years and money.
Also does the formula include AA selection and B&F finishes. He has been previous AA and will go well in the B&F this year.

I can't see that happening. Surely that would be investigated by the Integrity officers or whatever they are called. I mean this would go against the whole free agency process. Also there would be no real reason to do this from Frawley' spoint of view.

If he wants to play in a finals side he could take a pay cut to do it, if in a couple of years he resigned for big money then he misses out on nothing.

Sylvia left for closer to $400k a year
If that is the case then Ross Lyon has stuffed up as he did at the Saints. Sylvia is not worth close to $400k. He never lived up to his potential for whatever reason and rarely finished well in the B& F. So far he is only a depth player at Freo. He needs to get a wriggle on if he wants to prove his worth.
Vince is way, way better for basically an exchange - pick 23. The AFL was very kind to the Dees and so was Adelaide.

Last edited:
The way free agents are going about it he wil use his free agant status to maximise a deal i.e. 5 years and plenty of cash. I would be surprised if he left for a small contract in years and money.
Also does the formula include AA selection and B&F finishes. He has been previous AA and will go well in the B&F this year.

Unfortunately it's only contract and age from what I can tell. Still, those factors should work in our favour.

If he wants to play in a finals side he could take a pay cut to do it, if in a couple of years he resigned for big money then he misses out on nothing.
He doesn't need to take a paycut to play in a finals side though so why would he? He will want guareteed money on a lengthy contract, not 'ifs'.

He doesn't need to take a paycut to play in a finals side though so why would he? He will want guareteed money on a lengthy contract, not 'ifs'.

He has already said that the direction Melbourne takes will decide whether he stays with them or not, he wants to win games. If money was all that mattered he would have signed already.

Don't get too comfortable with the idea of getting a top 5 pick for losing Frawley or you might be too upset, all because his contract was front loaded by the Melbourne management.

A chance at a flag then the prospect of locking in for a long time could be enough for him.

I doubt he will go to Hawthorn or Geelong.

He would be Geelong's second highest paid player behind Selwood. It seems Hawthorn have already bucked at his contract terms.

The one to watch is Collingwood.

He has already said that the direction Melbourne takes will decide whether he stays with them or not, he wants to win games. If money was all that mattered he would have signed already.

Don't get too comfortable with the idea of getting a top 5 pick for losing Frawley or you might be too upset, all because his contract was front loaded by the Melbourne management.

A chance at a flag then the prospect of locking in for a long time could be enough for him.
His management are spruiking big 6-7 year deals: he rightly wants more than just success, as he should. We will get fair compensation, even if you for whatever reason want us to get as little as possible.

His management are spruiking big 6-7 year deals: he rightly wants more than just success, as he should. We will get fair compensation, even if you for whatever reason want us to get as little as possible.
I think it's because he's watching Vince rack up 25+ touches a game in red and blue, whilst Sylvia has only just got into the side on big money and averages about a third of that.

If Frawley leaves, he'll probably command $650k over 4 or 5 years.

That's big money.

The AFL will also recognise that it's three years in a row we will have lost a player to FA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back