Joel Corey

Remove this Banner Ad

Megaman123

Team Captain
Oct 4, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
I love what he has done for our footy club, but I reckon with the focus on Chapman being to old/slow, he has probably started his decline quicker than anyone else without much attention.

Watching him last night, when the game was on in the first quarter, he looked completely out of his depth at times, even with the footy in hand, making errors and defensively being targeted by the Swans quicker brigade. His foot skills have always been pretty good, but now his pace, which has never been a strength is gone, he almost always appears rushed with his disposal and delivery.

He still has good games in him, but I fear they will be fewer and further between, and will generally be against the lower ranked sides. The best sides right now are quick to spread, and when we already struggle to keep up with the really slick sides, I see him being a liabilty against the best teams.

Weighing up the pros and cons, I know he will get his 20+ posessions a game, because he has a footballers brain and that wont leave him. But I can see more benefit long term, and considering the position we are in this year, of playing and persisting with players like Smedts, Guthrie, H-S and co.

Last night was our last chance to play all the over 29's in one side I think. When the game mattered, we were found wanting. And the Swans arent as good as the Pies, WC, Ade or Hawthorn who can continue to play at a high level for longer than a quarter.

I love what he has done for our footy club, but I reckon with the focus on Chapman being to old/slow, he has probably started his decline quicker than anyone else without much attention.

Watching last night I agree that Chapman has been hard done by from supporters here, still has plenty to offer. Corey though, I dunno he just seems a bit more timid of late.

We've got a nugget in Guthrie (now he has a footballers brain), and I think he deserves a shot in the midfield rotations, maybe swapping with Corey to the back pocket.

The biggest error was when we had the swans on the ropes with 3 minutes to go and he marked the ball on the back flank and decided to stop and wait rather than play on and attack and put the game away. The Geelong of the last 5 years would have been ruthless and put the swans to the sword in the last quarter when they hit the front. Last night they played tentative and tried to save the game.

I would get Corey out of the midfield and give him a go either deep back or deep forward. If that fails hopefully he will retire gracefully like Ling did. He has been a great servant for the club and it has not been publicised enough how many years he has pushed through with knee injuries that most others would have missed games with.

The biggest error was when we had the swans on the ropes with 3 minutes to go and he marked the ball on the back flank and decided to stop and wait rather than play on and attack and put the game away. The Geelong of the last 5 years would have been ruthless and put the swans to the sword in the last quarter when they hit the front. Last night they played tentative and tried to save the game.

I would get Corey out of the midfield and give him a go either deep back or deep forward. If that fails hopefully he will retire gracefully like Ling did. He has been a great servant for the club and it has not been publicised enough how many years he has pushed through with knee injuries that most others would have missed games with.

Neither will work. He's not quick enough nor clever enough to worry defenders and he's nowhere near accountable enough to stop a quality small to medium forward.

To me the truth is far more brutal - he's finished as a senior player. He must get form back in the seconds or nowhere. You can't afford to give the opposition such an advantage. And right now a midfield that has Corey in it is effectively one down.

Some very tough decisions need to be made, and I'm not talking about in October. I mean right now.

I'm not sure what we do with him. Endeavour is there but he's slow and reactive and his disposal is hurting us. In the past you'd have sent him to a back flank but with the premium on footskills there and speed of rebound from the back I don't think you can. In one sense Partridge is right but I simply can't see the coaches dropping Smithy to the 2's. The biggest worry for me is that I'd like to see a champion like him retire before he becomes a liability, but given he's already got a contract for next year, what do they do? It's a big issue for the coaches to manage.

Joel Corey, Chapman, Stokes, Hogan and Byrnes will be gone at the end of the year.
Johnson on the skids??
Wojos disposal is under question also. Great to have pace, run 20m and pass it to the oposition or a bullet pass to one of our players which is difficult to mark. He has been out too long to make a call but is under the spotlight. His speed is required if not??

Joel Corey, Chapman, Stokes, Hogan and Byrnes will be gone at the end of the year.
Johnson on the skids??
Wojos disposal is under question also. Great to have pace, run 20m and pass it to the oposition or a bullet pass to one of our players which is difficult to mark. He has been out too long to make a call but is under the spotlight. His speed is required if not??

Not Chapman. Credit where it's due he's been solid and shown he can still contribute. Think he needs to be a permanent forward at least until the pace goes out of the game though. The other four seem to be about right.

Johnson on the skids??

I'd add J Hunt and Wojo (injuries catching up to him)

Scarlett might go as well, although he is good enough I'd rather see him go now.

It's better for more to retire so we finish lower on the ladder next year and start the rebuild quicker.

Chapman and Corey definitely need to hang up the boots both are too slow and unaccountable now.

I'd add J Hunt and Wojo (injuries catching up to him)

Scarlett might go as well, although he is good enough I'd rather see him go now.

It's better for more to retire so we finish lower on the ladder next year and start the rebuild quicker.

Chapman and Corey definitely need to hang up the boots both are too slow and unaccountable now.
with those 8 out next year, our rebuild will take about as long as it will take Lions to get up the ladder again.
It needs to be, and will be a staggered set of departures, but much will depend on our ladder position late August. Outside top 8 is very much a likelihood, and that would send a heavy mass exodus message, IMO.

But agree about Corey, sad but true, and would be nice if these players recognise it themselves, and do what Mooney did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see Corey and Chappy retire before the match committee is faced with the awkward decision of having to drop them. They are Geelong greats - I think that regardless of how we finish this year they should hang up the boots. Stokes, Byrnes and probably Hogan should be delisted or traded if at all possible. I'd like to see Scarlett play one more year if he still has the desire - love to see him get to 300.

The thing is, we still need Corey in our side. Even declining, he is still one of our better clearance players - an area which we are getting smashed in.

with those 8 out next year, our rebuild will take about as long as it will take Lions to get up the ladder again.
It needs to be, and will be a staggered set of departures, but much will depend on our ladder position late August. Outside top 8 is very much a likelihood, and that would send a heavy mass exodus message, IMO.

But agree about Corey, sad but true, and would be nice if these players recognise it themselves, and do what Mooney did.

Don't think it'll take as long as the lions, we do have a good core.

We also have guys who have been in the system a while like Mitch Brown and Dawson Simpson who both will probably become good players. If Varcoe, Menzel and Vardy get back those are big ins. Maybe we get Travis Boak as well.

If you look at the guys who will likely play on for the next few years

Kelly, Enright, SJ, Bartel, Taylor, Lonners, West, Mackie, Selwood, Hawkins, T Hunt, Motlop, Duncan, Christensen

then add our batch of kids from the last 2 years

we could be good in another 3-5 years

I tend to agree, we want to stagger the retirements, and the club has stated they believe in that, which means no more than 4 or 5 this year (ideally). I do think Corey probably needs to be one of them though.

I'd like to see Corey and Chappy retire before the match committee is faced with the awkward decision of having to drop them. They are Geelong greats - I think that regardless of how we finish this year they should hang up the boots. Stokes, Byrnes and probably Hogan should be delisted or traded if at all possible. I'd like to see Scarlett play one more year if he still has the desire - love to see him get to 300.

I do agree. I would like to see guys go out as the champions they are rather than that having to happen, but ultimately it comes down to whether they are prepared to recognise it like Moons was.

Chapman is less of a concern IMO, yes he struggles on the spread and tends to fall over a fair bit etc, he still has top drawer finishing ability which means providing he plays forward as I've been screaming for, there's still a role for him in the side (although maybe he should still finish up at year's end).

Corey on the other hand doesn't have the footskills and as such doesn't really have a second position. If he's declining as a midfielder I'm not sure where else you can play him.

He had a good year last year, but he's starting to look like 2010 Corey again which makes me think the knee is flaring up again. I still think he's got a bit left to offer, but not for much longer.

He is struggling but we just don't have the players too replace him. What a career he has had.

Yeah but whats the point of flogging the dead (or dying) horse? We arent winning many any way, why not throw a Guthrie, H-S or even Smedts in there for a look to the future. They may not get the same number of clearances or touches to begin, but they will learn valuable lessons from good opposition midfielders (along with running around near Selwood/Kelly etc) The present is just not happening, at least the younger blokes will be gaining great exposure for next year and beyond when these blokes a definately finished.

Unfortunately he is cooked. Have met him three or four times and he is a good bloke, but more importantly he has provided the grunt and hard ball gets consistently just when it was needed during our great run. Maybe he is injured, maybe he has lost form. Whichever he needs a spell. We will not replace him easily, but we gotta try. Chappie must stay.

I think this should be his last year. We desperately need to find some midfielders.
Yeah keep him on as player coach, with the emphasis on coach. Would be stupid to delist him seeing as he still has a year to go and something to offer every now and then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back