Just watching the 96 Grand Final...

Remove this Banner Ad

how weird is it seeing Shannon Grant in a Sydney jumper?

Always weirds me out when watching this game.

Also amusing because I HATED him when he was first traded to North (because Schwatta was my favourite player at the time) but we did REALLY well out of that trade.

how weird is it seeing Shannon Grant in a Sydney jumper?

Always weirds me out when watching this game.

Also amusing because I HATED him when he was first traded to North (because Schwatta was my favourite player at the time) but we did REALLY well out of that trade.

I was exactly the same, took me 9-10 years to love shagga.......What about Schwatta's punch to Luff's Melon in the 96 Granny? So good!

What about the way Plugger gives Shagga the big don't argue as he kicks that goal in the first quarter? Wasn't liking it at the time but I reckon that's one of the great highlights of the game.

What about the way Plugger gives Shagga the big don't argue as he kicks that goal in the first quarter? Wasn't liking it at the time but I reckon that's one of the great highlights of the game.

Was an awesome footballer Plugger.....had a lot more class than given credit for to IMO.
*Kingy's front on, knees first, slide in O'Brien turned the game our way......was brutal but effective.

The best was when King did the slide into O'brien's face.
Also when Plugger did the don't argue against his own player (Grant?) to have a snap at goal.
Or when Laidley dropped in the hole to mark in front of Lockett as well. I think that was in the third quarter.
The punch to Luff was a good one as well. If someone is beating you just crack em one and make them earn their kicks.
I loved that game.

1) Arch was only 23 when he won the Norm Smith Medal.

2) Jack Ziebell will be 23 in 2014.

:)

Gonna watch this when i get home :)
Love when Freeborn kicked a goal just before half time to put them in front and Sandy screams "Here come North Melbourne!"
All i remember from Grant in that game is when stevens gave away a down field free kick for the first goal, with a forearm to shaggas head.

The best was when King did the slide into O'brien's face.
Also when Plugger did the don't argue against his own player (Grant?) to have a snap at goal.
Or when Laidley dropped in the hole to mark in front of Lockett as well. I think that was in the third quarter.
The punch to Luff was a good one as well. If someone is beating you just crack em one and make them earn their kicks.
I loved that game.

Awesome, absolutely awesome.

I actually asked him at the family day after the '96 season what he was thinking when he did that and his reply was along the lines of "It's not my job to think mate". It could be argued that he carried this philosophy into his coaching career.

My recollections are:

1. Swans on fire early. It was as if they'd been taking old-style Sudafed tablets, but of course that would never have happened.

2. Umpires awarding Swans soft frees early - dodgy front-on contacts in marking contests etc but miss Kingy putting his knee through O'Brien's face - maybe they hated OB more than they wanted the Swans to win.

3. Paul Kelly missing a goal that might have sealed our fate.

4. Freeborn!

I was sitting in the MCC members and Denis was going berserk about the freedom we were giving Roos early. Prick never seemed to have an opponent, but we tightened up on him eventually and made him more accountable.

Awesome, absolutely awesome.

I actually asked him at the family day after the '96 season what he was thinking when he did that and his reply was along the lines of "It's not my job to think mate". It could be argued that he carried this philosophy into his coaching career.

no good potting him as a bad player..........cause he wasn't, bad communicator yes !! thinker of the game no.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone remember the pre game entertainment......each end had a blow up footy when revealed one had P.Kelly and other W.Carey blow up doll type thing. Anyways the Carey one just fell down....and I remember my old man seeing that and just putting his face in his hands and then telling me...." Thats not a good omen " :eek:

Anyone remember the pre game entertainment......each end had a blow up footy when revealed one had P.Kelly and other W.Carey blow up doll type thing. Anyways the Carey one just fell down....and I remember my old man seeing that and just putting his face in his hands and then telling me...." Thats not a good omen " :eek:

Much like the banner ripping in half at Shagger's 300th in 2008... unfortunately, the game that followed did not turn out so well.

Yes, the giant blow up Carey sort of buckled in the middle. It was swaying in the breeze.:D I felt the same as your old man. A bad omen! It's kind of funny looking back but not at the time.:mad:

I know most of you are gonna think what the f**k..
So think it now .........
Anyways my favourite play of the day.. Mainly due to Bruces commentary is Locketts goal in the first..
When he pushes off Grant and goals..
Play Tony Play!
Bruce at his best
Such a shame he's gotten old..
Can't channel 7 tinker with his voice to get that 90s old passion back..

You've done well to watch the '96 and see Shannon Grant in a Swans jumper....he didn't do much apart from get shoved out of the way by Lockett.

A lot gets said about how well we filled the hole in front of Lockett that day with Archer and Laidley dropping back. Shows what a player Lockett was. Imagine a player today that you would kick 6 goals against you and you'd happily wear that.

My views on a few of the other incidents from that game that have been raised...

David King wouldn't have started the '97 season until mid-May for his knees first effort on O'Brien if today's standards applied back then. Head high, reckless, significant contact, double loading for a grand final.

I remember the Carey inflatable but couldn't care less. I was so nervous before the game I could hardly look at the "entertainment."

Say what you like about Laidley's coaching, but as a player he set the standard in terms of desperation and courage. A star.

I feel so blessed to have been able to attend that game. It was something special. My voice was ****ed for 3 weeks.

My recollections are:

1. Swans on fire early. It was as if they'd been taking old-style Sudafed tablets, but of course that would never have happened.

I was sitting in the MCC members and Denis was going berserk about the freedom we were giving Roos early. Prick never seemed to have an opponent, but we tightened up on him eventually and made him more accountable.

My old man was adamant that Sydney had used up all of their petrol tickets in the first half. They must have been shattered to have used up so much energy to go into half-time trailing.

From memory, Denis shifted Blakey up forward to tag Roos.

Sandy 'Sydney have the talent, but North have the numbers'.

Scoreboard Sandy.

I'm pretty sure he mentioned this with about four minutes left in the first half with Sydney up by about two or three goals.

What a day :thumbsu:

I had my best mate, and cousin, performing with Kate Ceberano prematch, including the singing of the National Anthem. We had magnificent seats and the mighty Roos go on to win the only gold plated Centenary Cup there will ever be. All it lacked was Lionel Richie. Great GREAT day :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back