Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

During 2022 and even the back end of 2021 I actually remember watching King on Fox Footy and he was being super positive with us and our ball movement.
He absolutely wasn't. He only just came around to us about a month before finals and even then it was begrudgingly. Still tipped Bulldogs against for us the the elimination final mind you.

Re. King's "PR stunt gone wrong", what I react to is not his description of it being PR, but of it having "gone wrong", in that it hasn't gone or doesn't go "wrong" until he declares it to have done so. Its going wrong is defined by it failing to be taken at face value, which — let's face it — is pretty much the fate of any announcement by the club, if King has any say in it. Which he does. Always. In saying it's a "PR stunt gone wrong", he's just talking about himself (again).

The other thing to keep in mind is that, in the field of public relations, it's implicitly understood that there is no "public" but, rather, many "publics". In the knowledge that King (and multiple media voices) will happily criticise any move/announcement by the club, I imagine that the public that the extension is aimed at is not solely or even primarily the public implied in phrases like "PR stunt gone wrong" but rather several key internal publics (e.g. players), who have now have had any concerns/doubts about the club's plans answered for them.

Sure - I understand all that, and still, it was poorly executed from the point of view of the broader public. We don't do it well at all, it needs to improve.

What you are saying about King is neither here nor there imo. He could have got the views of others or it could be himself, wither way, I think your argument when it comes to King in this instance doesn't mean much. The announcement was cheered here as taking pressure off the coach. The pressure would have come from two main sources - press and fans. He was one of the target market for this PR announcement. It isn't unfair for him as one of the targets of the strategy to have an opinion, just as it wouldn't be unfair if another journo said it was a good PR move.

I dislike defending King as in lots of things regarding us he is trash. In this, I don't think he is speaking out of turn.

I think the opposite, it fuels the media. David King was spot on with his comments it's a PR stunt gone wrong. If we have a bad start to the year the whole club looks incompetent, not just the coach.

If we have a good year the 1 year extension becomes irrelevant. If we have a bad season this year JLo still has to go, and the board should go too for throwing away an unnecessary $800,000 to Longmuir.
Again disagree,

You can drink David King's tripe if you want but he has not said one good thing about Freo, same as Kane Cornes and 90% of the West Australian writers (looking at you Woodcock). Journos like Adam paps, Ryan Danials and Eliza Reily for example all champion the move. And funny enough they are the ones who ACTUALLY talk to the club.

We will have a 1-4 start to the year i feel (Lions, North, Adelaide, Carlton, Port) and the pressure without signing JL would have more been immense realatively. While this doesn't get rid of it, it will make the noise a lot less comparatively. Its a good move to reduce the pressure for a very likely scenario. I expect us to then turn things around after round 5 and not having a contract makes alot more negative press, i guarantee it would have.

It also gives the club an out if it doesn't turn around at the end of the season, paying out a coach a left year on the contract seems the norm these days. The contract (as per Daniels) has lots of KPAs that JL needs to meet for another extension, which is smart by the club. I think it'd be worse if we signed him for 4 year now. 1 year extension is perfect as it is best of both worlds.

Hes supported in the club, without giving him a stupid long contract. He appears to be respected by the players and if he can reproduce 2022, all things are good. 2023 results were more a reflection of our poor trading and loss of players and Josh Carr than the head coach. Give 2024 a go, while giving a soft end 2025 contract to reduce the noise.

Gives options to extend more if it goes well, while also the option to boot him if it ducks up, while lessening (but not removing) the external noise around "will JL survive".

That interview with Gossage & Hase. :fire:
I'm shocked to hear that the media analysis is fingernail deep. Absolutely shocked.

Shocked Futurama GIF

I think your argument when it comes to King in this instance doesn't mean much.

I don't have an argument when it comes to King. I was describing what I react to ("Re. King's "PR stunt gone wrong", what I react to is ....") . The only argument I was making was that the public being addressed by the decision was most likely an internal public rather than an external one.

I'm shocked to hear that the media analysis is fingernail deep. Absolutely shocked.

Shocked Futurama GIF
He provided more game analysis of the Bris/Coll sides in 30 seconds than anyone else has given in a year.

I think it has to be listened to by everyone in here. For reference, all interviews in here and you can find the one Drago talking about

I did a quick transcript when he talks about the gameplan for those too lazy to listen:

"We didn't consistently play the way we wanted to last season. We want our players to play with freedom, we want our players to be decisive in their actions and most of all we want our players to be their best selves in terms of their skillset, the way they explore their space, and the way they take the game on.

Scoring doesn't just come down to that though. There is a simplistic take in the media that if you just take the game on you will score heaps. Historical data will show that the closer you win the ball back to your goals the more likely you will score off a turnover.

To turn the ball over close to goals you need to have a good defence. You need to setup well behind the ball and you need to be able to win the ball back.

Rarely ever the competition gives you the ball back in an uncontested situation. This is why the contest is critical so we need a balance of all these factors.

The good teams in Brisbane and Collingwood were good defensive teams and elite in the contest. Ball movement was controlled by playing with freedom and playing the game infront of them."

Last edited:
I don't have an argument when it comes to King. I was describing what I react to ("Re. King's "PR stunt gone wrong", what I react to is ....") . The only argument I was making was that the public being addressed by the decision was most likely an internal public rather than an external one.

Yet the club videoed it to place all over socials and then put out an article about it on their website? Why if the target audience was the internal public would there be a need to do external announcements?

Propose to my wife in private and then record it and plaster it all over socials while saying it was not for the general public? This has South Park vibes

Prince Attention GIF by South Park

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet the club videoed it to place all over socials and then put out an article about it on their website? Why if the target audience was the internal public would there be a need to do external announcements?

Propose to my wife in private and then record it and plaster it all over socials while saying it was not for the general public? This has South Park vibes

Prince Attention GIF by South Park
Well a counter-point here is that we film almost all major things these days, everyone's happy birthday song is caught on camera. It is just the way things are these days. The presence of a camera doesn't mean that things are confected.

I just think the club has accepted responsibility for pruning our list a little harder than we should have over the past couple of seasons and have, reasonably imo, reset Justin's time line a little.

I think this is a fair assessment of the situation. Give JLo an extra year to get the list to gel.

He still needs to show he can make some progress during this season, as it can't be pushed out to 2025.

Unfortunately, I am not convinced we are going to improve much this season.

Well a counter-point here is that we film almost all major things these days, everyone's happy birthday song is caught on camera. It is just the way things are these days. The presence of a camera doesn't mean that things are confected.

Yes, but this was then intentionally released through socials and an article on the website.

I think this is a fair assessment of the situation. Give JLo an extra year to get the list to gel.

He still needs to show he can make some progress during this season, as it can't be pushed out to 2025.

Unfortunately, I am not convinced we are going to improve much this season.
I don't know what to expect really.

Would you like one?
Here’s my two cents worth, I thought it was a brilliant PR move because it takes JLos contract status out of the weekly news cycle, yes we’ll cop some criticism this week, but as more information comes out about trigger clauses and potential get out clauses by this time next week it will not be news worthy and the club can get on with playing football.
Ending the constant speculation is absolutely a win regardless of whatever is written this week.
Bring on Sundays game and by next Thursday no one will care about our coach and the reporters will find some other controversy to discuss.

Can you please adorn we with said participation badge now 😀

Remove this Banner Ad

Back