Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knightmare what can you tell me about Alex Harnett as far as strengths and weaknesses.

Not invited to the state or national combine.

He is a big, bulky guy. Strong lad who has clearly worked on his biceps, occasionally he does something nice whether it be the occasional run, sidestep or conversion in front of goal. It's just too many key ingredients are missing. His footskills lack consistency, he runs to the wrong places out on the field and just overall seems to lack a degree of polish.

He requires further coaching and instruction. The physical side is less the issue as he has clearly worked on his body but he just needs to learn the game better.

I watched the video for Ryan Lim, He looks like he could be a smokie.

I reckon he's got something.

Lim is a favourite of many it seems. He is a good athlete and can find the footy. Just his footskills let him down which is what recruiters will be weary of.

Some have and continue to do phantom drafts based on how they rate players. I leave that for my power rankings.

I just find people want to know who is going where and who may land at their club.

In any case everyone will do it differently which happens when people get creative licence.

Interested to know why you rate Ellis at 50th in your power rankings, just trying to determine why we have such a large difference in thoughts on the kid.

Is this kid more Jack Gunston or more Taylor Walker? (both 193cm)

More Marco Paparone if anything.

Nick Riewoldt without the goalkicking and dominant marking ability.

Perhaps Gunston without the same strength to him.

That short of thing.

Knightmare , I see you now have Ahern at 10 with Durdin dropping .... any reason for this Durdin lost favour , Geelong like Ahern?

Geelong adding a whole host of talls through trade week, it's still possible Geelong like Durdin, but I sense Adelaide would not have made that trade if Geelong specifically were red hot on him.

Ahern feels like a logical selection given Varcoe and Christensen have both left.

Geelong may have a different player this time next week in the first round so there rarely is anything to read into with where guys are rated.

Interested to know why you rate Ellis at 50th in your power rankings, just trying to determine why we have such a large difference in thoughts on the kid.

I've just been mostly nonplussed with Ellis' game this year personally. Perhaps it is a result of seeing mostly his worse games? Good skillset, versatile etc but I just haven't seen him really have any meaningful influence on the outcome of games as I had hoped for such a highly rated player.

If I was a recruiter Ellis is more someone I'd let someone else take, and take the guy I really like around that pick 20 where he is projected to go.

Knightmare, do you see McCartin as a ready to go type, or will he need a few years to come through to the seniors?

Of the key forwards he is the relatively more ready to go. And he could if required play in season one but like with all key forwards he will need a few years to become a productive AFL standard key forward.

More Marco Paparone if anything.

Nick Riewoldt without the goalkicking and dominant marking ability.

Perhaps Gunston without the same strength to him.

That short of thing.

Geelong adding a whole host of talls through trade week, it's still possible Geelong like Durdin, but I sense Adelaide would not have made that trade if Geelong specifically were red hot on him.

Ahern feels like a logical selection given Varcoe and Christensen have both left.

Geelong may have a different player this time next week in the first round so there rarely is anything to read into with where guys are rated.

I've just been mostly nonplussed with Ellis' game this year personally. Perhaps it is a result of seeing mostly his worse games? Good skillset, versatile etc but I just haven't seen him really have any meaningful influence on the outcome of games as I had hoped for such a highly rated player.

If I was a recruiter Ellis is more someone I'd let someone else take, and take the guy I really like around that pick 20 where he is projected to go.

Not sure what they are thinking this year , but the talls they have brought in... all look froward/ruck types not anyone who would be a good backman prospect. We delisted Brown and Hamling , two youngish backman to make space... so I can see us taking a tall backman at some stage

Payne doesn't for me have the feel of a true key forward as a really light bodied type but high motor and probably of the key forwards the real elite endurance runner. If you're picking him it's more as a high work rate type either as a multi lead forward or a high leading forward rather than a power marking forward. Someone with clubs liking the endurance runners may go for him.

I think if you're picking Payne, it's as a defender. Has all the attributes you look for in that third (maybe second) tall defender - already strong defensively, good on the lead. He'll take time, so might be more of a rookie pick accordingly, but one of the top project talls on offer this year. A little like Ariel Steinberg, who is perhaps the best comparison for mine.

Knightmare what can you tell me about Tom Templeton I know he had a state combine invite and did fairly well (sub 3 second sprint, 78cm vertical jump and 25:04 repeat sprint) he a chance for a Rookie spot?

Knightmare what can you tell me about Tom Templeton I know he had a state combine invite and did fairly well (sub 3 second sprint, 78cm vertical jump and 25:04 repeat sprint) he a chance for a Rookie spot?

In the mix late/rookie. You never quite know with those later draft selections whether they will go for certain. Just a wait and see job.

Hi KM, given Lever has had a year out of the game with injury is the risk of picking him at say 3 instead of McCartin to great. We have not been able to see whether Lever has developed due to time out. Given the Dees poor drafting record of late they really need to go with the higher probability draftees.

Hi KM, given Lever has had a year out of the game with injury is the risk of picking him at say 3 instead of McCartin to great. We have not been able to see whether Lever has developed due to time out. Given the Dees poor drafting record of late they really need to go with the higher probability draftees.

All those early picks have their risks.

With McCartin the talk is his diet and professionalism and training is hard, yet he can't seem to lose that extra weight he is carrying. Something doesn't quite feel right there.

With Wright he loses too many 1v1 contests for such a big guy and doesn't seem to have clunk those marks v contact as you'd like.

With Lever given he missed this year you never quite know whether he'll have future injury issues. He will take time to get right, but as a key position player you don't expect immediate rewards so that might not matter. His 2013 production was excellent as a key defender so of the three talls a case could even be made depending on your outlook of his injury that he is the relatively safer of the selections.

--
Brayshaw like Petracca is a high probability prospect. If it's all about probability of making it a Weller, Laverde or Duggan may be a better choice. They're closer to who they need to be and probably don't have the same ceilings but they're safer selections because it's clearer who they are.

But personally I'm about just going for the best guy and for me McCartin is the best and most dominant talent of those options to remain at 3. Things have to go right for him and I query whether he is really 194cm (he looks more like 190cm) but I just like his mix of ability overhead and at ground level.

De Goey can play at half forward and Ellis at half back so they versatility is a big positive. However, our number one priority should be outside run. Since delisting Gregory and Hardingham, my (realistic) dream draft would be Goddard at 17, Cockatoo at 20, Wilkinson at 62 and Deluca Cardillo/Anderson at 71 and Brad Walsh in the rookie draft (once we get rid of De'Olio). I still have faith in Kavanagh, O'Brien was very good in the VFL this year and Aylett showed some decent patches of what he's capable of.
We are going to have to delist a contracted player to use both picks #17 and #20 (unless Winders retires). The chances of using any later picks are pretty remote.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KM, if Pickett goes at 7 to GWS, any chance West Coast reach for Garlett? (We know they like to pick WA boys with their first picks if possible).

Unlikely. Garlett may to top 20, but pick 11 is too high.

Hey knightmare.great thread. Where do you think jon o'rouke would go in this years draft if he was available . Thanks

Hey knightmare.great thread. Where do you think jon o'rouke would go in this years draft if he was available . Thanks

Somewhere 10-15.

Hawthorn did well to get him for an end of first round selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back