Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any chance Cavka lasts until pick 33?
Who are the other endurance beasts who could be available here?

Cal in an article on the AFL website has linked Tom Lamb to the Pies at pick 30 (this is the first I've seen of him being linked to us). I haven't really paid much attention up to know as he had seemed to be a player that was not good enough for pick 5 and gone before pick 30. Is he a chance to get to pick 30 and do you think he would be a good fit for the pies?

Cal in an article on the AFL website has linked Tom Lamb to the Pies at pick 30 (this is the first I've seen of him being linked to us). I haven't really paid much attention up to know as he had seemed to be a player that was not good enough for pick 5 and gone before pick 30. Is he a chance to get to pick 30 and do you think he would be a good fit for the pies?
Is that the one from today?

That article has Blaine Boekhurst as a possibility at pick 30, not Tom Lamb
Your right, it I just re read and it was Emma Quale in her club by club article on the Age's website that mentions Tom Lamb at 30 (I read both at the same time so got mixed up which was which).

Any chance Cavka lasts until pick 33?
Who are the other endurance beasts who could be available here?

Cavka is a chance to last till 33. Good pick if there.

Caleb Daniel, Alex Neal-Bullen and Nathan Drummond are among those others endurance beasts in this draft as midfielders.

It's possible Lamb slides to pick 30. He is probably a reasonable fit for the Pies in the sense that he adds height and running height which we could do with more of.

Would I pick him personally? No. It's around the point I'd be starting to look at him but I just couldn't live with his deficiencies personally. *see my page 1 bio of Lamb for more on that.

Worked out all right for us last year when we got Dunstan and Acres because the likes of Cripps, Lang and Apeness (who I don't believe we rated higher than them) went before our picks. Don't think Collingwood had any complaints about nabbing Brodie Grundy the year before, either, or Brisbane getting Lewis Taylor in the late 20's last year, etc.
If you listed all the sliders who turned out well I could probably find more who turned out s**t.

It's possible Lamb slides to pick 30. He is probably a reasonable fit for the Pies in the sense that he adds height and running height which we could do with more of.

Would I pick him personally? No. It's around the point I'd be starting to look at him but I just couldn't live with his deficiencies personally. *see my page 1 bio of Lamb for more on that.
Thanks Knightmare!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KM, I love your work man, but Petracca, Durdin, Lamb and McKenzie...?

There's more chance of me winning a Nobel Prize in Physics for proving the existence of dark matter with a paper I wrote with my wang.

While agree it would be what looks to be a fantastic result and one that I would probably take right now very happily, I don't think it's necessarily that far-fetched, as Durdin is currently expected by most to go in the mid-teens somewhere and there are always "sliders", so someone sliding from the mid teens to 21 is not unheard of. Chances are pretty strong that we will nab someone at 21 or 22 who most thought would go in the teens somewhere and with so many key defence options on the table there is a chance that one of them will make it all the way to the 20's. More likely to be Marchbank than Durdin I reckon, but stranger things have happened. A couple of years ago most seemed to think Dan Markworth would go in the teens somewhere and we got him at 35. Someone is likely to make it into the 20's unexpectedly.

As for the rest, Lamb is in his sort of range and some think Big Reece may not even go in the top 50, so getting him at 41, while probably unlikely, is certainly possible.

Hey Knight, after reading your first thread and seeing how highly you rated Waterman I am curious to see what you think of him now?

Hi KM was talking to a mate the other day and we were wondering if there will be any players this year drafted that didn't play for there state this year? Not because they were injured.

Km
At 186cm and 95kgs does Petracca sound a bit on the heavy side? You'd think his playing weight will only get heavier. Just feel as though 95-98kgs is far to heavy for a midfielder. Obviously won't be a endurance athlete. One would think that St Kilda would be after a fully blown midfield jet for the number one overall. Wonder why Brayshaw isn't in the picture for the number 1 spot?

If we were picking for needs at pick 1 we'd be picking McCartin, not Brayshaw, but we've repeatedly said we're going best available, hence the likelihood that we'll be taking Petracca.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that he will get heavier though. He won't need to bulk up at all obviously, so they can mainly just focus on getting him fitter and more ripped. Carrying around that sort of weight doesn't seem to negatively affect him though, hence doing a 14+ beep test already (despite having such a strong basketball focus in recent years) and testing elite for agility earlier in the year, and of course last year he was for instance able to dunk a basketball, despite being just 186cm, but weighing in at 99kg.

Mark Ricciuto's playing weight is listed as 184cm and 93kg and another similar comparison as far as body shape goes is probably Gazza Snr, who's playing height/weight is listed at 185cm and 97kg. Gazza started off playing on the wing and may not have been that heavy at the time, but he is another one that comes to mind who has that similar sort of body shape and size to Petracca, being an almost identical height and with the huge thighs/quads and so-on.

While none are coming to mind at the moment I imagine there have been others who have been able to carry around a lot of bulk and still be highly effective in midfield or running type roles. If worst comes to worst he has proven himself dominant enough forward to be able to be played there most of the time anyway though, perhaps with just short bursts in the midfield.

Last edited:
Durdin at 21 Knightmare? Could you really see that happening?

Someone has to slide. It could be Durdin, it could be someone else. Given what I see other clubs going for before the Saints at 21 it's plausible and what I have today.

Hey Knight, after reading your first thread and seeing how highly you rated Waterman I am curious to see what you think of him now?

Waterman showed excellent promise last year and had that big 35 disposal game during the finals and looked to be going from strength to strength. He looked at the time like potentially a high end draft selection.

This year he just hasn't improved. Hasn't played any WAFL league footy. His numbers haven't improved enough and his scoreboard impact has decreased significantly. If you're not going forward you're going backward and basically others have passed Waterman by.

Hi KM was talking to a mate the other day and we were wondering if there will be any players this year drafted that didn't play for there state this year? Not because they were injured.

There are always some and there will be again this year.

There were a number of injured guys but of those who were't injured Toby McLean and Oscar McDonald are getting drafted. Perhaps a Will Fordham or someone else later in the draft also gets a chance.

Absolute legend. Really appreciate it.

Any chance I could trouble you for a few more? If not, all is good - Daniel, Johansen, Evans, Cripps, Bower, Wilkinson & Read

C.Daniel: 167.2cm, 63.45kg. Johansen: 170.6cm, 63kg. B.Evans: 188.8cm, 87.2kg (start of year). Cripps: 196cm, 86.1kg. Bower: 188.6cm, 80.7cm (start of year). Wilkinson: 181.6cm, 77.7kg (start of year). Read: 200.5cm, 90.8kg.

*Note: I don't have the state combine measurements but I do have for those not invited to the national combine their March measurements.

Km
At 186cm and 95kgs does Petracca sound a bit on the heavy side? You'd think his playing weight will only get heavier. Just feel as though 95-98kgs is far to heavy for a midfielder. Obviously won't be a endurance athlete. One would think that St Kilda would be after a fully blown midfield jet for the number one overall. Wonder why Brayshaw isn't in the picture for the number 1 spot?

With Petracca worth noting he has a 74cm vertical (96th percentile). A 3sec 20m sprint (63rd percentile). 8.55sec agility (61st percentile). A 14.12 beep (84th percentile). A 25.07sec repeat sprint (61st percentile).

So while Petracca is nearly 95kg it doesn't matter a great deal. In game he is visibly explosive and covers the ground well. So given he can do all that at a relatively high weight, the way I see it, it's a real advantage. And particularly forward of centre in the 1v1 contests makes him exceptionally hard to matchup on as a result with few medium sizers likely even from his first season likely to struggle containing Petracca such is his strength and power.

I imagine St Kilda like Petracca over Brayshaw because he can find the same midfield numbers but does that with the addition scoreboard impact and strong marking forward of centre.

Hey Knightmare as I am sure you know I love your work on this thread so I thought I would ask when do you start work on your 2015 draft prospects? Obviously it is still 53 weeks from the 2015 draft but I am very interested in reading your detailed analysis of Callum Mills and Josh Dunkley on that thread.

Thanks.

Hey Knightmare as I am sure you know I love your work on this thread so I thought I would ask when do you start work on your 2015 draft prospects? Obviously it is still 53 weeks from the 2015 draft but I am very interested in reading your detailed analysis of Callum Mills and Josh Dunkley on that thread.

Thanks.

After the rookie draft I'll probably start putting something together and get something posted possibly around the new year.

I might do a basic top 20 with brief bios but probably more around the u18 champs next year.

I mostly only have the time and opportunity in their draft year to accumulate strong notes on these guys so my knowledge is always of that upcoming draft class limited outside of those AIS boys/those who played u18 champs or regular TAC Cup footy the year before of which I'd have a generalist but not yet extensive knowledge of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back