Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers for that. They gave him a wrap for his speed in particular (said that was his stand-out attribute) and said that he usually plays outside, but that he's now learning to play more inside as well (I see he had more contested possies than uncontested on the weekend, which was good). From memory they also gave him a wrap for his clean hands and not fumbling (something else we could really do with!).

Anyone else standing out for that sort of role from pick 20 onwards? A Lewis Taylor, ELi Templeton type, that just run really hard, has good speed and just keeps on hitting targets?

Look out for those high production types. There are always plenty of these types fall through and go later than they should.

Jake Johansen if ok going small can play and could be a good get late draft.

Nathan Drummond as an overager while more inside is someone who will go late/rookie and be a great get for a club with his pace and contested ball winning.

There will be plenty of others I'm sure who will appear and present value later in the draft.

What do you think of Harry Dear? Is he a likely father son selection? I hear good reports.

Has hit the scoreboard early season which is promising. Nice height and taking some strong marks so he does have some scope to develop. He doesn't find a whole lot of the footy and that includes when he pushes up the field in a no.2 ruck role but late draft he's worth a shot - say 3rd round.

Can't imagine that will factor into anything. Injury would be more concerning than illness for clubs. And it's not like it stopped Nathan Bassett or Dale Weightman from having long careers.

I'd say it would certainly be a consideration for a club. Diabetes is a disease not an illness. I have no idea about his personal circumstances but if it's not well controlled then it can certainly have an adverse effect on performance. Clubs will be doing their due diligence to establish this. Hopefully, as you mentioned with Weightman and Bassett, he can go on to have a long and uninterrupted career.

Cheers for that. They gave him a wrap for his speed in particular (said that was his stand-out attribute) and said that he usually plays outside, but that he's now learning to play more inside as well (I see he had more contested possies than uncontested on the weekend, which was good). From memory they also gave him a wrap for his clean hands and not fumbling (something else we could really do with!).

Anyone else standing out for that sort of role from pick 20 onwards? A Lewis Taylor, ELi Templeton type, that just run really hard, has good speed and just keeps on hitting targets?
Exceptional outside player! Who moves across the ground as good as any I've seen at Tac level. Great to see he improved his inside game on the weekend as he has a lot of potential in that area. He relies a hell of a lot on the likes of Goodyear and Miller to win the contested ball at Tac level, but is certainly improving in that area. I'm not sure he'll ever be a big inside player, it's simply not he's type of game. Very good player though!

Hi KM

What's the quality like through picks 13-25 this year? Would the dogs be better off trading down with gws or Gold Coast to get a couple of picks in this range and maybe a young prospect as well??

Something like:

Gold Coast get - pick 5
Dogs get - picks 13, 14 & prospect (schade, sumner etc)

Hi KM

What's the quality like through picks 13-25 this year? Would the dogs be better off trading down with gws or Gold Coast to get a couple of picks in this range and maybe a young prospect as well??

Something like:

Gold Coast get - pick 5
Dogs get - picks 13, 14 & prospect (schade, sumner etc)

It's a good question. I'm liking the strength particularly in that first 7-8 so I'd lean towards retaining that pick. In saying that it depends on exactly where the pick comes in. If it's looking not quite early enough to get your hands on one of the big four key forwards then trading down might prove a good option in the Dogs situation with the rest of those picks inside the top 10 or those better ones on-ballers.

If you could get those two Gold Coast picks somewhere in the teens presumably you could do pretty well getting as an example Tyler Keitel and Caleb Marchbank who should both be available and could add to the teams key position stocks. Add Sean McLaren with one of the other picks and the Dogs would have a much improved group of young talls.

For now I'd be maintaining an open mind. If you like someone with that early pick take them. If not I'm sure a number of clubs will be willing to trade up.

Hey KM,

Apologies if this is not the sort of question you tend to be keen on, but any suggestions on which of these players will make good fantasy guys? Angus Brayshaw looks like a top notch accumulator what with his tackling edge, any others who really rack up the ball/tackles/marks in great amounts?

Any guys who are midfielders but most likely to start their careers at different positions, say half back or half forward like Hamish Hartlett starting as a half-backer?

It's a good question. I'm liking the strength particularly in that first 7-8 so I'd lean towards retaining that pick. In saying that it depends on exactly where the pick comes in. If it's looking not quite early enough to get your hands on one of the big four key forwards then trading down might prove a good option in the Dogs situation with the rest of those picks inside the top 10 or those better ones on-ballers.

If you could get those two Gold Coast picks somewhere in the teens presumably you could do pretty well getting as an example Tyler Keitel and Caleb Marchbank who should both be available and could add to the teams key position stocks. Add Sean McLaren with one of the other picks and the Dogs would have a much improved group of young talls.

For now I'd be maintaining an open mind. If you like someone with that early pick take them. If not I'm sure a number of clubs will be willing to trade up.
How good are these 4 young talls slated to go early in all honesty km? I'm skeptical.

Maybe the dogs cool their jets and go hard for one of Boyd, Patton, Tomlinson, Carlisle, cameron at the end of 2015.

Greetings Knightmare !

What sort of players do you think the Suns will target with their picks? I'm curious to know what holes you think we have on the list considering you know our list quite well.

We have the normal pick tied to us, as well as a pick tied to where the Cats finish.

I myself would love Lachie Weller but not sure he will slide? It's also become apparent through the Reserves that we have no tall forward depth. Dixon, Lynch and Day is it.

Greetings Knightmare !

What sort of players do you think the Suns will target with their picks? I'm curious to know what holes you think we have on the list considering you know our list quite well.

We have the normal pick tied to us, as well as a pick tied to where the Cats finish.

I myself would love Lachie Weller but not sure he will slide? It's also become apparent through the Reserves that we have no tall forward depth. Dixon, Lynch and Day is it.
What's up with gorringe sunny?

Hey Knightmare, just wondering if you can give me a bit of info on Corey Ellis? what type of player is he, pace skills, bets position etc. Thanks

Hey KM,

Apologies if this is not the sort of question you tend to be keen on, but any suggestions on which of these players will make good fantasy guys? Angus Brayshaw looks like a top notch accumulator what with his tackling edge, any others who really rack up the ball/tackles/marks in great amounts?

Any guys who are midfielders but most likely to start their careers at different positions, say half back or half forward like Hamish Hartlett starting as a half-backer?

Brayshaw, Heeney and Waterman are the gun fantasy guys this year to lock in if they get early games. All if playing can score big.

Lachie Weller and Peter Bampton could also go ok and be worth watching out for.

How good are these 4 young talls slated to go early in all honesty km? I'm skeptical.

Maybe the dogs cool their jets and go hard for one of Boyd, Patton, Tomlinson, Carlisle, cameron at the end of 2015.

It will become more clear as we get closer to the draft as to how good that next group of talls look and the development over the second half of the season will be telling.

Greetings Knightmare !

I make a point of watching Gold Coast play every week. You guys are just too damn fun not to watch with all the pace and precision ball use in the squad.

Key defence possibly. A tall, strong bodied contested ball winner is another possibility. If you can't find a quality one of either I'd just be adding to the outside weapons and adding further pace and skill - and I'd leave that pretty open to adding a wing, defender or forward because there is already enough good talent on the list to allow the team to take some chances at some guys with some more guys with some real x-factor, particularly late draft.

As an example of a type I'd look at add first round Jarrod Pickett if he by some chance fell to Gold Coast's pick he'd be one I'd be all over.

Weller could go around Gold Coast's first pick. Not certain he's available but he may be. Excellent user of the footy so he'd be a good get as a slightly better Andrew Boston.

Adding key forward depth is possible. I like the core group in Lynch, Day and Dixon and the progress their making and in Gold Coast's situation my concern would be more so with making the best 22 into the strongest possible monster it can become. Retaining Bock as a key forward may be possible to provide sufficient depth otherwise if really desperate a state leaguer - say Brett Eddy or Lech Featherstone as rookies could suffice but I'd be more inclined just to sign a local key forward or two to the Gold Coast reserves side rather than the AFL side.

Hey Knightmare, just wondering if you can give me a bit of info on Corey Ellis? what type of player is he, pace skills, bets position etc. Thanks

Ellis has some positional scope. He's showing some potential through the midfield this as really classy/creative type and I'm increasingly liking his play around the ball.

He has a feel not unlike a Didak/Dal Santo/Pendlebury with his footskills, vision but then ability in traffic to move and not get caught with the ball with his agility and evasiveness very good.

Pace is fine but he's not a linebreaker. His movement is best evasively with that more his strength athletically.

So he's got some talent. Perhaps not the accumulator of some of the top end mids but he's a guy around pick 10 you'd love to take.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see you have Christian Petracca at pick 29 in your phantom draft. I'm a big admirer of him but do you think there is any chance he could rise as highly as pick 10-13? in North Melbourne's first pick range? or would that be too high to take him?

Cheers KM. Any good back/forward flanker types who would make decent fantasy players? Your Suckling/Hibberd types, or Dahlhaus/Martin types? Brayden Maynard looks like a good one in this kind of role from what I've heard, how about Clem Smith - does he get enough stats to be a decent fantasy player?

I see you have Christian Petracca at pick 29 in your phantom draft. I'm a big admirer of him but do you think there is any chance he could rise as highly as pick 10-13? in North Melbourne's first pick range? or would that be too high to take him?

Petracca's form in the second half of the season will determine where he goes.

Does he project as an onballer? Is he only a deep forward? Is he capable on a forward flank and could he be something of a Crameri type?

The more dominant he shows that he can be through the midfield, up the field and/or on a forward flank the greater his chances of going high because we're all very aware of how good he is as a deep forward.

At this stage I'm staying open minded with Petracca because he is showing signs on the ball and on a forward flank but I'm still in the process of being convinced - his performance v WA was a big step forward with his play on the ball the best I've seen from him so I'm looking for more of that.

He could go top 10. He could go mid-late draft. If he performs as he did v WA consistently over the remainder of the season then his draft position will be somewhere closer to pick 10.

On North Melbourne. I'm not sure I see him as a need for Petracca. The midfield looks pretty good for inside types and medium forwards shouldn't need to be selected first round with success stories such as Crameri/Ambrose and even Macaffer selected initially as rookies. I see the need for some better quality quicker linebreaking types to compliment the contested ball types and clean ball users. Perhaps a Jarrod Pickett or Clem Smith. Billy Stretch if not a F/S selection for Melbourne would have been another example of a good fit. Just someone who can inject some energy and excitement.

Cheers KM. Any good back/forward flanker types who would make decent fantasy players? Your Suckling/Hibberd types, or Dahlhaus/Martin types? Brayden Maynard looks like a good one in this kind of role from what I've heard, how about Clem Smith - does he get enough stats to be a decent fantasy player?

With defence eligibility if drafted Nathan Drummond as a possible overager is a high production guy who can play mid/def and find the footy in bunches.

Jake Johansen can also find the footy as one of those super smalls.

Otherwise looking for mature agers is usually the best bet.

As a forward Christian Petracca is built like a beast and could be given early opportunities.

Clem Smith can play early. Production as I'd say with Petracca will only be low-moderate.

Outside of those high end mids mentioned in my prior post I wouldn't be calling anyone else likely to have an immediate impact but in fantasy football it's mostly just take those at the cheapest price points and given games early which is mostly just the mature agers. Just unclear at this early point who those state leaguers are with few if any standouts this year.

Cheers again KM, I'm not so much worried about short-termers, I'm doing it from a longer term perspective - a draft dynasty league, not dream team/super coach stuff, so slow burn guys are all right by me.

If looking long term guys note these names: Connor Blakely and Billy Evans. Neither have attracted a whole lot of press, maybe that changes closer to the draft and they rocket into the first round somewhere but I'm liking both myself anyway.

But Brayshaw, Heeney and Waterman are the guys you want most. They're the sure thing high production guys and probably the three best production guys immediately and likely long term also.

On North Melbourne. I'm not sure I see him as a need for Petracca. The midfield looks pretty good for inside types and medium forwards shouldn't need to be selected first round with success stories such as Crameri/Ambrose and even Macaffer selected initially as rookies. I see the need for some better quality quicker linebreaking types to compliment the contested ball types and clean ball users. Perhaps a Jarrod Pickett or Clem Smith. Billy Stretch if not a F/S selection for Melbourne would have been another example of a good fit. Just someone who can inject some energy and excitement.

Spot on! need for genuine line breaking speed first up! Then need to start looking for another key position forward for the future

I'll have a Blakely bio up next update.

Very interested to read more about this kid.

Especially after I read this...

Blakely has been described as someone similar to Blake Acres from last year and he's a similar size and build and similar quality talent but there are some differences.

Blakely is playing WAFL seniors normally and is going very well through the midfield. Excellent by hand (this is the major difference v Acres), moves well and has agility and isn't slow but isn't a linebreaker either, nice skillset. Wins his own ball but can also find it outside. Can play forward or back if required. Strong mark overhead and pretty good tackler. Nice height and weight at 186cm, 81kg. All talk is he's a high character guy who puts in the work so with his mix of traits and the willingness to put in the work he has great scope to develop.

He's one of the really complete footballers in this draft and with his senior experience and ability to produce at that level a year one debut is within his capabilities.

One to look out for closer to the draft.

He'll likely be a late first rounder or thereabouts but somewhere around pick 10-15 he could be a very good get.
Was a big Acres fan last year and was little disappointed the Cats left him on the table (same could be said about Dunstan but I also didn't mind the little bit of saw of Lang...so conflicted :confused:).

Anyway, thanks for all your great work. I'm sure plenty of us are much appreciative of yours (and others) efforts in this space. :thumbsu:

Pray tell how did Lamb get off the striking charge ?????

I can only imagine clubs want to see the guy play in the following rounds of the champs to see how he stacks up against the competition as he is mostly considered a top end prospect.

Either way I'm never much fussed about whatever the match review findings are. They do their job and the rest of us just get on with what we're doing and adjust accordingly.

Pray tell how did Lamb get off the striking charge ?????

Because players don' get suspended at the championships. And even when they do, they let them play anyway because they can't have their stars missing the televised games (see J.Viney)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back