Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s no footy this weekend and all but I can hardly contain myself. Eating up every. Single. Piece. Of lions. Media. Available. Is now a good time to start rewatching all games from the year.

What are your footy fill ins for the next week?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There’s no footy this weekend and all but I can hardly contain myself. Eating up every. Single. Piece. Of lions. Media. Available. Is now a good time to start rewatching all games from the year.

induced coma?

I'm going to try and watch all our wins from the season in-between work and other commitments. Going to be difficult to find the time but what a problem to have!

Draft, trade, Gold Coast board.

Sublimating. Getting some work done around the house that's been building up for five months.

A heap of great media out around the club this weekend:

Brisbane greats weigh in on why the Lions can go all the way this finals series (Courier Mail)
Former captains Simon Black, Luke Power, Chris Johnson and fan favourite Jason Akermanis are Lions royalty.

They know what it takes to climb football’s Everest, and all believe this Brisbane side can do it.

Between them they can boast 12 premierships, 86 finals, two Brownlow medals, a Norm Smith medal, 10 All-Australian selections, five club championships, and 1213 games.

All four have closely watched the Lions’ rise under Chris Fagan and we asked them if Brisbane could win their fourth flag and who was their favourite player.

Key Lion can’t understand doubters (Courier Mail)

Brisbane forward Dan McStay admits while the club’s meteoric rise has been “crazy”, he’s surprised by the lack of faith outside the Gabba and says the Lions are ready to silence the doubters.

The recent 100-gamer didn’t hesitate when asked whether the Lions have the belief they can end a 17-year flag drought, pointing to a year of on-field dominance and big scalps.

“The funny thing for me is that people are still doubting us to some extent,” McStay said.

Past fortnight an AFL dream for young Lion (Canberra Times)
Brisbane midfielder Hugh McCluggage made a point of taking it all in before last Sunday's AFL match against Richmond.
The 21-year-old admits the experience of playing in front of a huge crowd at the MCG on a Sunday afternoon blew him away, even if the Lions would eventually fall to a 27-point defeat to the Tigers.

Coming just a week after he'd helped Brisbane steal a dramatic one-point win over boyhood club Geelong at a packed Gabba, it's been a fortnight the youngster is unlikely to forget any time soon.

Hodge ready for one last AFL finals fling (WWOS)
When Luke Hodge packed up his locker at Hawthorn's Waverley Park headquarters for the last time in 2017 his mind had to start thinking about life outside footy.

The search for a life off the field got put on hold however when Brisbane coach Chris Fagan lured him out of retirement weeks later.

Two years on and the 35-year-old is preparing to strap on his boots for another AFL finals campaign in what will be the culmination of his successful two seasons with Brisbane.

The last Brisbane Lions team to host an AFL final at the Gabba (Courier Mail)

The Lions were behind by four goals heading into the final quarter of the elimination final against Carlton in 2009, before a Daniel Bradshaw masterclass sent the plucky Brisbane squad to the semis.

Just one player remains from that team as the Lions host Richmond at the Gabba next Saturday.

Here’s what happened to those players after that famous victory.

In the first of those pieces, I loved this from Aker:

WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE PLAYER?

I met Lachie Neale a long time ago at a sportsman’s function and was very impressed. He had read my book but it isn’t because of that. I just discovered what a nice guy he was and he has shown what a great player he is. This is nothing against Dayne Beams, but there is no doubt we have done well out of him going out and Neale coming in.

Despite all the dramas over the years, to hear Aker refer to the club as 'we' warms my heart a little.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the first of those pieces, I loved this from Aker:

Despite all the dramas over the years, to hear Aker refer to the club as 'we' warms my heart a little.

Yeah. Despite everything, it’s great to see Aker is still a Lion at heart. Was such a phenomenal player to watch.

Here you go, Dylan12...

Brisbane greats weigh in on why the Lions can go all the way this finals series

The Lions are back in finals for the first time in a decade. But how far can they go? Four former greats of the club have their say on the biggest keys to September success.

The Brisbane Lions can go all the way.
The optimism and excitement about Brisbane’s return to the finals for the first time in a decade is hitting fever pitch, and no one has been more swept up in the Lions’ return to September than the heroes of the last golden era.

Former captains Simon Black, Luke Power, Chris Johnson and fan favourite Jason Akermanis are Lions royalty.

They know what it takes to climb football’s Everest, and all believe this Brisbane side can do it.

Between them they can boast 12 premierships, 86 finals, two Brownlow medals, a Norm Smith medal, 10 All-Australian selections, five club championships, and 1213 games.

All four have closely watched the Lions’ rise under Chris Fagan and we asked them if Brisbane could win their fourth flag and who was their favourite player.

CHRIS JOHNSON
HOW FAR CAN THEY GO?

All the way. There is no reason why they can’t. They have shown they have been able to mix it with the best. When everyone chips in they are pretty good. I like that they have an even balance in terms of scoreboard contribution.

WHAT HAS TO GO RIGHT?

They have to keep a level head. And they have to keep believing in the system and the structure. Believing in what has worked in the past for them and what has got them to where they are now. That means everyone just doing their job, which has been the basis of what they have achieved so far this season

WHO IS THE KEY PLAYER?

The Big O (Oscar McInerny) is the key. It has been shown within finals series you need a goalkicking ruckman and he has proven he can do that, as well as doing his job in the ruck. I think he has flown under the radar a bit and gets underestimated by oppositions. And ruckmen have always been a big thing within the Lions’ framework.

I love the way Hugh McCluggage goes about it. It is hard to believe he is only in his third year. His skills and his ability to run and carry are tremendous and his decision making is elite. I don’t think I’ve seen a third year player have an impact on a team like he has.

LUKE POWER
HOW FAR CAN THEY GO?

They have got two (home) finals, they could potentially go all the way. The best thing about last week was they got a good look at the MCG, they didn’t get blown away, and they hung in there. They would take away a lot from that. I can only see positives from last week’s loss, so why not?

WHAT HAS TO GO RIGHT?

It always helps to have your best players available and that is the biggest thing that has gone right for them this season, which is a credit to the organisation and how the place has been managed. I look back to when we were doing well and that was really important. On the field it is about making the right decisions and I have been really impressed by them in that area. They know when to play fast and when to take the sting out of the game, and that will be crucial in finals.

WHO IS THE KEY PLAYER?

It is Charlie Camreon at the moment, he is the one who is hitting the scoreboard. And if one of the key forwards can stand up and have a good series alongside him, that helps. But the reason they are going so well is they have good players right across the park. The one thing about premiership sides is they get an even spread of contributions.

I love Richie (Daniel Rich). He was a kid when I was there. I am very fond of him and I am glad he is starting to get some rewards for his loyalty and his efforts. He’s a laid back guy and success won’t change his personality at all. It is great to see him doing so well.

SIMON BLACK
HOW FAR CAN THEY GO?

I think it is massive having the first week at home and if they can win at home first week, I will back them to make the grand final. Once you are there, it is 50-50 isn’t it? They play a really good brand of footy. We have seen two good sides block their scoring the past two weeks but if they can fix that, they will be a chance.

WHAT HAS TO GO RIGHT?

They have had a good run with injury and that has to continue over September. And they cannot be overawed on the big stage. They must also continue to get a good spread of goal kickers. Charlie (Cameron) gets a lot of plaudits but what I have seen is the big blokes really present well, get the ball to ground, which lets the little blokes get to work.

WHO IS THE KEY PLAYER?

Harris Andrews down back is so important to the team. He is awesome. I reckon he’s the best key defender in the competition and he will be the key. With Andrews in the team they’ll know at least they have an opponent who can match it with any big forward in the finals.

Mitch Robinson. I just love the way he goes about it. He has a cult following among Lions fans these days. I love the effort he gives week in and week out and what every single contest means to him. He competes to win each contest and puts his body in uncomfortable positions.

JASON AKERMANIS
HOW FAR CAN THEY GO?

All the way. They are as good as any team in it, I have no doubts. The Bulldogs a few years ago did it with a team that was as ready to go, so did Richmond, and this Brisbane side feels like that. I think they can win it.

WHAT HAS TO GO RIGHT?

Efficiency. Scoreboard pressure is going to be important for them. In games this season they have recovered from periods of poor goalkicking by getting on a roll with their accuracy. In finals they can’t afford to be inaccurate and give oppositions starts like that. The beauty is they are never out of the contest.

WHO IS THE KEY PLAYER?

I don’t want to put too much pressure on him but I think Eric Hipwood could be the man. He is young and can play a great game, and then have a couple of “almost” games. But he is also so exciting that he can also turn an average game into a great game with a little burst. If he is up and about he is so dangerous, but I reckon if he can just find a little bit more consistency he can be a massive factor.

I met Lachie Neale a long time ago at a sportsman’s function and was very impressed. He had read my book but it isn’t because of that. I just discovered what a nice guy he was and he has shown what a great player he is. This is nothing against Dayne Beams, but there is no doubt we have done well out of him going out and Neale coming in.

Brisbane Lions forward Dan McStay says his team believes it’s not making up the numbers
The Brisbane Lions won 16 matches to earn a double chance and a home final, yet some are still doubting them. Forward Dan McStay can’t work out why.

Brisbane forward Dan McStay admits while the club’s meteoric rise has been “crazy”, he’s surprised by the lack of faith outside the Gabba and says the Lions are ready to silence the doubters.
The recent 100-gamer didn’t hesitate when asked whether the Lions have the belief they can end a 17-year flag drought, pointing to a year of on-field dominance and big scalps.

“The funny thing for me is that people are still doubting us to some extent,” McStay said.

“We haven’t got here by luck. We’ve been through a five-month, 22-game test and we’ve done really well to get here.

“Sure, it’s not over but we’re not resting on what we’ve achieved so far.

“We believed round 1 that we could beat West Coast and we went into round 23 with the belief we could beat Richmond

“Things didn’t work out for us there but we still believed and we definitely have the belief that we’ll win our first final up here.”

One of Brisbane’s more reserved characters, McStay says he’s nevertheless been buoyed and enthused by the Lions’ Duracell bunny trio of Cam Rayner, Dayne Zorko and Charlie Cameron.

“Cam and Charlie are definitely the ones driving the enthusiasm and when guys are up and about, the boys are all laughing and having a good time,” McStay said.

“Obviously Zorks is known for that enthusiasm as well, so those three really bring an infectious energy to the club and we’ve been feeding off that all year.

“I think that’s really shown in their seasons as well, all three have been fantastic.”

Cameron, now an All-Australian, has been the competition’s leading small forward, while Rayner and Zorko have shrugged off form and injury concerns in the back half of the season.

All three will need to be at their attacking best when flag favourites Richmond roll into town for next week’s qualifying final, with McStay determined to lift the Lions forward line after being shown up in Round 23.

“As forwards, I think we let ourselves down and we probably let the team down early on against Richmond,” McStay said.

“We went a little bit away from our structure, we wanted to play body to body and we didn’t do that, which allowed them to take too many marks from our kicks and start their offence from back in our forward 50.

“We lost that game in the first quarter, so if we’re able to cut down those early errors, we’re more than a chance next week.”

The last Brisbane Lions team to host an AFL final at the Gabba
It’s been 10 years since the Brisbane Lions played in the finals, with their last match at the Gabba a famous come from behind win over Carlton. Here’s what those players are up to now.

The Lions were behind by four goals heading into the final quarter of the elimination final against Carlton in 2009, before a Daniel Bradshaw masterclass sent the plucky Brisbane squad to the semis.
Just one player remains from that team as the Lions host Richmond at the Gabba next Saturday.

Here’s what happened to those players after that famous victory.

MATT AUSTIN
The midfielder was playing just his seventh game for the Lions when he made his finals debut.

Finished the game with 14 touches – enough to keep his spot for the next week – but only played another seven matches after that before being delisted at the end of 2011.

The 30-year-old now plays for Sebastopol in the Ballarat Football League and was this year picked in the league’s squad for the Community Championships.

SIMON BLACK
Was almost the best man on the field in the win as the 2002 Brownlow Medallist collected 29 touches – one of only three players to have more than 20 disposals.

Went on to play another 57 matches for the Lions before retiring in 2013 as one of the genuine greats of the game.

He then joined the club as an assistant coach, but resigned in 2016 to focus on running his footy academy.

The 40-year-old now runs around on the beach trying to outwit, outplay, and outlast his opponents in Australian Survivor: Champions v Contenders.

DANIEL BRADSHAW
Made the difference in the game with five crucial goals from 16 disposals, but played his final game for the Lions in the semi-final loss to the Bulldogs the next week.

Knocked back a contract offer to stay in Brisbane – partly due to the Lions trying to trade him to Carlton to get fellow tall forward Brendan Fevola – and instead went into the pre-season draft where he was picked up by Sydney.

Only played nine games for the Swans and finished his career in 2010 with 231 games and 524 goals to his name.

Was last spotted playing footy in his Victorian home town of Wodonga.

JARED BRENNAN
One of the Lions best players by the end of 2010, Brennan walked out on the club after making huge contract demands, and landed on the inaugural Gold Coast Suns list after a complicated trade.

Played 54 games for the Suns before finishing his career at the end of 2013 with 173 matches and 101 goals to his name.

Has since bounced around country football teams, including the Park Ridge Piratesand the Henty Football Club in NSW.

JONATHAN BROWN
One of the greats of the game, Brown teamed up with twin tower Bradshaw to kick nine goals, six behinds in the elimination final victory.

Retired at the end of 2014 after a string of horrific head knocks, finishing with 594 goals from 256 games.

Now works in various media roles, including covering the breakfast shift on Nova FM in Melbourne.

MITCH CLARK
The athletic tall enjoyed his best season in 2009 for the Lions, playing all 24 games mainly as a ruckman.

He spent two more years on the Brisbane list before he requested a trade home to Perth – only to find himself playing for the Demons instead.

Lasted three seasons there before heading to Geelong in 2015, where he made an immediate impact, before being forced to leave the game to battle clinical depression.

Retired from footy at the end of 2016 and turned his talents to photography. Was also lured Mundijong in WA to play some footy there with ex-teammate Ash McGrath in 2017.

SCOTT HARDING
This was the final game Harding played for the Lions, missing out on selection for the clash against the Bulldogs the next week.

Found his way to Port Adelaide in 2010, where he played two games before being delisted at the end of that year.

By mid-2011, the small midfielder was offered a scholarship to American Football at the University of Hawaii as a wide receiver.

Now works for food tech company Zomato.

JAMES HAWKSLEY
The midfielder was playing just his 10th game when he suited up for the elimination final.

Ended his career at the end of 2012 with 32 games to his name, and moved back home to Perth to play for the Peel Thunder and start a career as an electrician.

RHAN HOOPER
Another who played his final game for the Lions in this finals series.

Moved to Hawthorn but told the club he was heading home to Queensland at the end of 2010.

Played for Springwood last season.

TRAVIS JOHNSTONE
Was in his second season of three at the Lions when he played in this final, having spent nine years at the Demons after being the No.1 draft pick at the end of 1997.

Finished his career with 209 games and has stayed in footy circles, including playing for Palmerston in the NT and Chelsea Heights in Victoria.

ASHLEY MCGRATH
The 2003 premiership player is best known for kicking the winning goal in the “Miracle on Grass” game against Geelong in 2013.

Notched up 78 more games after the 2009 final before retiring at the end of 2014 as a one club player with 214 matches to his name.

Returned to Mundijong Centrals to play footy under his brother and Centrals coach Toby McGrath in 2017.

DANIEL MERRETT
Merrett has established himself as a lock in the 22 by the end of 2009 as a key defender.

Played another 114 games after the elimination final at the Gabba before retiring at the end of 2016.

Now does some skills work with the Brisbane Broncos and works with Bulimba sporting goods company Tribal Sports.

JOEL PATFULL
The defender was at the mid-point of his career during the 2009 season and had a built a reputation as a quality rebounding backman.

Made another 105 appearance for the Lions until a two-season move to GWS, where he played 38 games.

Is now a social media influencer with fashionista partner Elle Ferguson from their Bondi home.

JAMES POLKINGHORNE
Playing in just his second season and 23rd game, the Melbourne-born midfielder was solid in the elimination final win with 12 disposals.

Put up another 71 games for the Lions until the end of 2014 before being delisted.

Joined Essendon for the 2016 season as a supplements scandal top up player, notching a further seven games in the red and black.

In 2019 he joined the Melbourne University Blacks FC on the team’s coaching staff, and also works for CUB owned marketing company DraftLine.

LUKE POWER
The three-time premiership hero was at his reliable best in the elimination final with 24 touches and a game-high nine tackles.

The veteran played another two seasons at the Gabba before being lured to the new GWS franchise in 2012 to act as a coach on the field, retiring at the end of that season with a stunning 302 games to his name.

Has continued in that mentoring-type role as the AFL’s academy manager in Melbourne.

JACK REDDEN
One of just three players from this team still on an AFL list in 2019, Redden is now a key cog in the midfield of reigning premiers West Coast.

Was in just his ninth game for the Lions when he played his first final, getting 11 touches and kicking a crucial goal.

DANIEL RICH
The only bloke still running around for the Lions and he’s just about as good as ever.

The West Australian was in his first season when he played in this final and would go on to win the Rising Star award.

Like Redden, was solid without being spectacular, picking up 12 disposals and kicking a goal.

Saturday’s night match will be Rich’s 206th game but just his third final.

MICHAEL RISCHITELLI
Now he really is retired.

Famously included in the slideshow of retirees at last year’s Brownlow Medal when he was set to go around again, Rischitelli called time on his career just a few weeks ago.

Was playing his 88th game for the Lions in the elimination final and picked up 15 disposals along the way.

Spent one more season at the Lions before becoming one of the Gold Coast Suns’ first players, putting up another 132 games despite consistent knee problems.

JASON ROE
The elimination final was the defender’s 50th and final game for the Lions after four seasons at the club, retiring due to chronic knee issues.

Roe moved back to the NT after his career where he had a brief brush with the law in 2015, when he received an 18-month suspended sentence for cannabis supply.

Despite the setback, Roe continued to work with Inidigenous youth and was named NT Thunder Academy coach at the end of 2018, dealing closely with ex-teammate Luke Power.

SAM SHELDON
The son of former Blues champ Ken Sheldon, the midfielder was another player in his first season in 2009.

Played 19 games in his opening year but only managed another 24 after that, finishing his AFL career at the end of 2012.

Is now the coach of the Kyabram Bombers in the Goulburn Valley Football League in northern Victoria.

JUSTIN SHERMAN
The handy midfielder from Tasmania spent one more season with the Lions before heading to the Western Bulldogs in 2011.

Was suspended for four weeks in his first season at the Dogs over a racial vilification incident with a teammate and only added 24 more games at Whitten Oval to the 114 he played for the Lions.

Captain-coached the Laurimar Football Club in Melbourne’s outer northern suburbs last season and now works with disadvantaged youth through the YMCA Rebuild program.

CHEYNEE STILLER
Joined Harding and Roe on the sidelines for the semi-final to make way for Jed Adcock, Tim Notting and Josh Drummond.

It was the Queenslander’s 67th game for the Lions after graduating from St Patrick’s College Shorncliffe, and he finished up his career on 100 matches at the end of 2012.

Is now a financial adviser based in Brisbane.

Last edited:
That Linc Mccarthy mark against Geelong is still causing me trouble. After EVERY meal my 8 year old quickly finishes first then climbs on the back of my chair, puts his knees on my shoulders and then balances while replicating Lincs mark (with the commentary). Meanwhile his mother is having kittens that he will lose his balance and go head first into the glass table! The first 20 times was ok but now ......

Hipwood locked in
In a major boost before the Brisbane Lions first AFL Finals Series campaign in a decade, Eric Hipwood, one of the competition’s most dynamic young forwards, has extended with the Club until at least the end of 2023.

Hipwood, already contracted for the 2020 season, put pen to paper for a further three years.

The 21-year-old is enjoying one of his best seasons to date, having booted 32 goals in 2019, including four in one quarter against Melbourne in Round 15.

The Hyundai Help for Kids Lions Academy graduate said the decision to extend was easy and he cannot wait to experience his first Finals campaign. “To have that little taste now is exciting and something I want to be a part of,” he said. Now in his fourth season at the Lions, Hipwood said the 2019 team is a special group.

“Coming into the Club each day, it’s exciting to watch everyone push each other and strive for constant improvement,” he said. “I think one thing is the brotherhood we have within the group. “We’re all so close and we play for each other. “We realised we had to have that closeness as group to be successful.”

General Manager of Football David Noble said Hipwood has shown great improvement over the past two years. “Eric has worked hard behind the scenes on his forward craft, which is evident in his development as a key forward,” he said. “He has been crucial to our growth in the forward line over the past three seasons and is a strong team contributor, with a team player attitude to match. “We are thrilled to have him in the Den for at least another four years.”

Hipwood will pull on the Lions guernsey this Saturday night at The Gabba against Richmond, in the Club’s first Finals appearance since 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back