Marriage Equality Achieved - (SSM Debate Part 4)

Remove this Banner Ad

Will this become a day we commemorate, like Sorry Day or Reconciliation Day? Will it be a day of mourning because of the acute trauma or a celebration? Will their be a pool of reflection built? A wailing wall?

Maybe we can replace Australia Day with it.
Well, we need to replace Australia Day with something...

Will this become a day we commemorate, like Sorry Day or Reconciliation Day? Will it be a day of mourning because of the acute trauma or a celebration? Will their be a pool of reflection built? A wailing wall?

Maybe we can replace Australia Day with it.
I'm happy for it to be remembered each year, if only to remind the hysterical scaremongers that the world hasn't ended because of SSM.

Would this not have happened had it been simply passed into law?
It was exacerbated by the plebiscite. Sure, there are c###s regardless who will indulge in a bit of gay bashing no matter what's in the official rule book, but conducting this worthless process gave an open license to them under the guises of "free speech" and "protecting religious freedom"...

Abuse. Arguing the difference between a little and a lot is a bit spurious when the answer should be none. And the government, instead of listening to overwhelming and repeated public opinion, decided instead to give it a boost. People of shit character run this country...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're really no different to the people who live in it.
I'm a bit more optimistic than that. 2/3 voted for SSM, noone's happy about the refugees, climate change, corruption, any of the issues going around at the moment. The people are fine, mostly, but those in Canberra who want to represent that properly are swamped by politicians driven by agenda and self-interest...

Not a fan of conservatives and Liberals normally, but this current group is utterly horrific, nothing like the respectability you had with Fraser and Hewson, etc. I blame Howard for starting this - opened the door for every snake that's come in since and legitimised it. Labor's not great either, easily corruptible. The Greens are the best, but they have always been the most polarising group, prone to the odd bit of insane rhetoric mixed in with their better grasp of human decency...they bring salad to the BBQ, and you can't make friends with that. We've got totally entrenched Katter up here, enough said - I spend every day facepalming at the backwards attitudes of the local rednecks, and I'm from f###ing Tassie! As a result, Hanson doesn't get much of a look-in here...Bob's already got that base covered...

It was exacerbated by the plebiscite. Sure, there are c###s regardless who will indulge in a bit of gay bashing no matter what's in the official rule book, but conducting this worthless process gave an open license to them under the guises of "free speech" and "protecting religious freedom"...

Abuse. Arguing the difference between a little and a lot is a bit spurious when the answer should be none. And the government, instead of listening to overwhelming and repeated public opinion, decided instead to give it a boost. People of shit character run this country...
How was it exacerbated? Has it stopped?

But I thought it was an event of acute trauma for people like Sally Rugg. Which is it, traumatic or a celebration?
I would have thought it was clear that I was speaking for myself. Not Sally Rugg. Or anyone else.

Clearly (again) for other people (particularly those in the LGBTI community) both the plebiscite process and this anniversary may have caused a variety of emotions and responses. And not necessarily positive ones.

I would have thought it was clear that I was speaking for myself. Not Sally Rugg. Or anyone else.

Clearly (again) for other people (particularly those in the LGBTI community) both the plebiscite process and this anniversary may have caused a variety of emotions and responses. And not necessarily positive ones.
How can you celebrate when LGBTQIA people are mourning?

I see it as more proof that the gay rights movement has been one of the more effective protest movements in history, look what Tasmania achieved in just twenty years. I'd argue that without Aids this would have taken much longer though. Aids forced people out of the closet, they may have been emaciated and weeks away from death when they came out but they did. The upshot of this was that people discovered that far from being this sort of stereotypical gay bogeyman out to send society down the shitter, they were just normal people and it was from there that attitudes started to soften. Rock Hudson, matinee idol and confidante of the Reagan's was the really big one, if he could be gay middle America asked itself.
Aids wiped out half a generation of men but it's legacy is at least in this way is a positive one and those guy's deaths weren't completely futile.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back