Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

We've reached the point where India have so much money and talent where they basically will only lose by choking or doing it to themselves.

Yeah, but at the same time they can only ever play the best 11 at any one time and there's surely a limit on how much better an individual can get than the best individuals from other countries. Especially since... how do I put this delicately... Indians are not typically renowned for their athleticism. For example, imagine a West Indies team with a billion specimens to choose from in comparison.

I have no doubt an Indian 2nd, 3rd... 12th...etc... best 11 would flog every other country's comparative team though.

The rest of the world is probably fortunate that the nature of cricket itself is a great leveller too. You make one mistake and you're done for the day. I think that levels the playing field a lot more than a sport that lets you follow up with second efforts to correct your mistakes and ensure your talent wins the day.

Yeah, but at the same time they can only ever play the best 11 at any one time and there's surely a limit on how much better an individual can get than the best individuals from other countries. Especially since... how do I put this delicately... Indians are not typically renowned for their athleticism. For example, imagine a West Indies team with a billion specimens to choose from in comparison.

I have no doubt an Indian 2nd, 3rd... 12th...etc... best 11 would flog every other country's comparative team though.

The rest of the world is probably fortunate that the nature of cricket itself is a great leveller too. You make one mistake and you're done for the day. I think that levels the playing field a lot more than a sport that lets you follow up with second efforts to correct your mistakes and ensure your talent wins the day.
The fact that we've been better on average than England (at Cricket but not morally obviously) over test history with 1/3 or 1/4 the population gives this idea some credence.

A billion people is a lot though so at some point they are bound to roll out an XI that would batter the 1995-2007 Aussie team.

We've reached the point where India have so much money and talent where they basically will only lose by choking or doing it to themselves.
Pressure and expectations does funny things even to talented teams. India have more then a billion watching on.

India have not won a T20WC since 2007 and the IPL was started up in 2008. So despite having the best T20 league in the world it has never translated to world cup victory. Despite having very strong sides.

Lost 2 x WTC finals despite being ranked number 1.

And then the ODI world cup. Australia has won 2 more since India last won it in 2011 during the peak Rohit/Kohli era.

In World Cup semis and finals it was almost like Australia knew how to win world cups while India and South Africa had history and a bit of mental baggage that paralysed them in a big game.

Djokovic is such a unique dude I could just imagine him using that person having a seizure or whatever it was in the crowd as some sign that God was intervening to help save him in the match. He was on the ropes but now can come back and if he wins this set, watch out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to be pretty delicious when the NSWAussies lose their first test to the Windies in forever because they snubbed Cam Scapegoat.

Cummins should have been selfish and tried to get himself a hundred then. 64 not out at close to a run a ball - I reckon he would have been a good chance if Hazelwood could have stayed in.
You would have thought he’d learn from the Baz ball declaration that it’s a very dumb idea declaring when you’re not infront.

The way things are going this has the makings of the worst women's final in memory, irrespective of what dicknose said before it started. Shocking contest to date, unless sabalenka implodes it's a joke of a final

The way things are going this has the makings of the worst women's final in memory, irrespective of what dicknose said before it started. Shocking contest to date, unless sabalenka implodes it's a joke of a final
It’s expected.
Sabalenka is just a force right now. No way she wasn’t going to come out firing.
Unfortunate for Zheng. Well outmatched

The only similarly lopsided one I can remember (there might have been others that escaped me) was the one with Marat Safin's sister, but that had novelty value

I can remember the days of Steffi Graf winning grand slams without losing a set. Finals over in under an hour.
Indeed. I clearly recall being at Steffi's last win in 94 was over in something just on 50 minutes I think? Note that she didn't lose a set in that entire 94 tournament though, one of the most all time dominant women's performances in a single modern era Australian Open tournament I can recall - but with a slight asterix as the 3 time defending champ Seles didn't play in 94 because she was still recovering from being stabbed by a fan in Europe in 93.

Also I recall Martina Hingis wiped the floor with 3 different players (I can't recall who) in each of the finals from from like 97-99 or thereabouts? She was just dominant at that stage in the Aussie Open, but fell away in singles and retired like two or three times I recall? But kept winning in doubles?

All sports have periods of individual or (for team sport) back to back team success. It doesn't mean the tournaments or athletes deserve denigration or put downs - just a recognition of the greatness and domination that sometimes happens in sport.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back