Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Herbert for the Chargers as well.

Need the Chiefs to have to fight a bit more for there division as well.

The chargers will be a lot better this season. I think year two with Harbaugh will see them go on a strong run. Also - Ekeler is quite the player. HIs background and story should be a movie.

I think the bigger issue is, who cares? Crawley is MUCH more talented than 31 but unless he realises it, it's irrelevant.

Graeme Hick averaged 31 and was at least an equivalent talent and nobody gives a **** about him anymore.
Actually he's one of the first two names brought up when examples of English players that did not fulfil their potential are relevant.

His name should be brought up every time someone suggests Cam Bancroft or Marcus Harris for the test team tbh.

I think the bigger issue is, who cares? Crawley is MUCH more talented than 31 but unless he realises it, it's irrelevant.

Graeme Hick averaged 31 and was at least an equivalent talent and nobody gives a **** about him anymore.
That's surprised me. I weirdly thought Hick would've been high 30s

Actually he's one of the first two names brought up when examples of English players that did not fulfil their potential are relevant.

His name should be brought up every time someone suggests Cam Bancroft or Marcus Harris for the test team tbh.
I don't get what you mean regarding Bancroft or Harris?

I don't get what you mean regarding Bancroft or Harris?

People constantly saying they should be in the test team when it’s so obvious they aren’t good enough.

Difference is Hick averaged 50+ at first class level and 31 at test level. Those two are more like 40 and 25.

The Australian selectors aren’t as stupid as the English selectors in the 1990s though.

People constantly saying they should be in the test team when it’s so obvious they aren’t good enough.

Difference is Hick averaged 50+ at first class level and 31 at test level. Those two are more like 40 and 25.

The Australian selectors aren’t as stupid as the English selectors in the 1990s though.
Oh in that case I 100% agree. Hick is in a totally different class to those two.

Bancroft 26 and 39
Harris 25 and 39.5

Oh in that case I 100% agree. Hick is in a totally different class to those two.

It’s actually crazy Hick averaged 31 and Ramprakash 27 at test level and both given opportunities ten years after they debuted for England.

These two are the perfect examples of why there is more to selecting the test team than rewarding the highest run scorers in the shield.

If the best players in the shield were always the next best player for the test team then they’d be zero need to have selectors at all. Of course our selectors have made mistakes but their job is to watch cricket and make judgements as to whether players can stand up at the next level - of course they’d notice stats if there’s a standout but I doubt they really give a **** who scores the most shield runs at all.

The Batting depth in this country has never been so dire.

With Pucovski basically cooked.

Bancroft and Harris have proven multiple times they are complete duds at Test Level. Its like recycling old failed coaches.

There not like a Simon Katich for example who was dropped a couple of times but at least Katich had performed at Test Level and had 3 or 4 test 100s to his name when he came back in 2008 the selectors had the knowledge he could at perform at that level.

Bancroft and Harris have not had 1 signature innings where you say they look like test batsman.

Renshaw can barely score a run these days despite the only one out of those three that has looked comfortable at Test Level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could happen to a nicer bunch of flogs. Seriously can't stand McCullum or Stokes anymore.

That said, it's turning fast on day 1, 250 is probably a good score on this thing.
Couldnt agree more i hope the Indians demoralize them score 600 and dopeball will get rolled for 150-200 in the 2nd dig.

Once your gone in India there is no coming back.

McCullum has that smugness and self-righteous about him that thinks he is above the game.

Mitchell Starc clean bowling him for a duck in the world cup final now is one of my favourite moments in cricket.

It’s actually crazy Hick averaged 31 and Ramprakash 27 at test level and both given opportunities ten years after they debuted for England.

These two are the perfect examples of why there is more to selecting the test team than rewarding the highest run scorers in the shield.

If the best players in the shield were always the next best player for the test team then they’d be zero need to have selectors at all. Of course our selectors have made mistakes but their job is to watch cricket and make judgements as to whether players can stand up at the next level - of course they’d notice stats if there’s a standout but I doubt they really give a **** who scores the most shield runs at all.

100% It's why D.Hussey never played tests.

From memory, there was no super obvious reason why, Hick especially, those two couldn't at least be serviceable test players. Well other than the multiple failures. Insane FC records though.

The Batting depth in this country has never been so dire.

With Pucovski basically cooked.

Bancroft and Harris have proven multiple times they are complete duds at Test Level. Its like recycling old failed coaches.

There not like a Simon Katich for example who was dropped a couple of times but at least Katich had performed at Test Level and had 3 or 4 test 100s to his name when he came back in 2008 the selectors had the knowledge he could at perform at that level.

Bancroft and Harris have not had 1 signature innings where you say they look like test batsman.

Renshaw can barely score a run these days despite the only one out of those three that has looked comfortable at Test Level.

Exactly. Someone like Katich was forced out of the side by players like Michael Clarke, Michael Hussey and Brad Hodge despite averaging 35+ at test level himself.

Katich looked capable at test level the majority of the time. Only time he didn’t really look capable was the 2005 Ashes and that was most of our top six. Finished his career averaging around 45.

100% It's why D.Hussey never played tests.

From memory, there was no super obvious reason why, Hick especially, those two couldn't at least be serviceable test players. Well other than the multiple failures. Insane FC records though.
England players in the 1990s & early 2000s were mentally destroyed as batsman by Warne & McGrath.

I think that mental baggage carried over to when they played other countries in tests. Hence there bog average record in test cricket.

Couldnt agree more i hope the Indians demoralize them score 600 and dopeball will get rolled for 150-200 in the 2nd dig.

Once your gone in India there is no coming back.

McCullum has that smugness and self-righteous about him that thinks he is above the game.

Mitchell Starc clean bowling him for a duck in the world cup final now is one of my favourite moments in cricket.

Starc bowling McCullum for a duck in that world cup final is also one of my favourite cricketing memories. Bazz never even got bat to ball despite some heroic swings of the bat. Too bloody arrogant to settle in a little before launching an all out attack.

In an alternative universe Phil Hughes and Pucovski have been our openers for some time
Sean Abbott had a hand to play in both outcomes.

Waste of space middle of the road state bowler that's cost Australia two gun batsmen at a time we needed them most

Last edited:
Sean Abbott had a hand to play in both outcomes.

Waste of space middle of the road state bowler that's cost Australia two gun batsmen at a time we needed them most
That's poor mate.

Could have been anyone who bowled that ball.

It was a complete freak once in a lifetime accident i doubt we will ever see again.

Its a credit to Sean that he has forged a decent career since considering what happened.

Some players may never had played again.

That's poor mate.

Could have been anyone who bowled that ball.

It was a complete freak once in a lifetime accident i doubt we will ever see again.

Its a credit to Sean that he has forged a decent career since considering what happened.

Some players may never had played again.
Might be in poor taste but i mean none of what I said is wrong?

Guess I just don't rate him as a bowler and he also happened to have a hand in shortening the career of two very promising batsmen

Leaving that sour note behind a bit, Australia's ability to s**t all over New Zealand without fail should be studied. It's pretty funny the big/little brother thing.

On the batting, I'm excited for Davies in the middle order. There is a lot of potential there as an upgrade version of Head and Green/Davies 4/5 is something to build around. Goodwin and Wyllie playing as much state cricket as they are at their age is also exciting to go with maybe McSweeney figuring it out.

Agree it's dire outside those names though a couple of the U19 guys really come on but I'll also say that Australian pitches arent the roads they used to be and facing Shield bowlers on these tracks is a harder task then facing probably any bowling attack bar India (in Australia or India). It's probably not as bad as it seems.

Also, shout out to Maddinson who probably needs to replace Khawaja eventually and give us 3-4 years at top level

Leaving that sour note behind a bit, Australia's ability to s**t all over New Zealand without fail should be studied. It's pretty funny the big/little brother thing.
It's amazing how ****ed in the head they are by us, I'm hoping that starts to creep into India a bit too after the CWC final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back