Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

After having NZ 8/100 on day 1 we have completely lost the plot. And more then likely going to lose pretty heavily today.

Andrew McDonald is probably lucky we won the WTC and ODI WC last year as underdogs. Because everything else around it has been a schmozzle. And he would be in the gun.

Letting England come back from 2-0 down and basically would have won if not for the rain in Manchester still leaves a sour taste.

But losing a test to the Windies at Home and NZ in the space of 6 weeks after barely losing to either of them in past 2 decades is embarrassing.

Not sure where they go next summer as the next test is in November against India but we have 2 openers who are on the cliff hanging on. A keeper who cant score a run and getting out very ugly.

A nutcase at 3 who is out of form despite scoring 90 in the first dig.

Travball who either comes off with an all or nothing innings.

And Bison & Green we can probably only carry one of them. I am sorry but both ain't consistent enough with the bat to be carrying 2 All-rounders in the top 6. There best is very good but its still hap-hazard.

Well Carey & Bison have got us to the point where we should be favourites. As long as they dont anything stupid.

We always seem to lose close ones though in test cricket.

Going to be fascinating next hour or 2 of test cricket. The Kiwis 30+ years of fragility against the Aussies is starting to show.

The greatest format in the game delivers again.

After having NZ 8/100 on day 1 we have completely lost the plot. And more then likely going to lose pretty heavily today.

Andrew McDonald is probably lucky we won the WTC and ODI WC last year as underdogs. Because everything else around it has been a schmozzle. And he would be in the gun.

Letting England come back from 2-0 down and basically would have won if not for the rain in Manchester still leaves a sour taste.

But losing a test to the Windies at Home and NZ in the space of 6 weeks after barely losing to either of them in past 2 decades is embarrassing.

Not sure where they go next summer as the next test is in November against India but we have 2 openers who are on the cliff hanging on. A keeper who cant score a run and getting out very ugly.

And Bison & Green we can probably only carry one of them. I am sorry but both ain't consistent enough with the bat to be carrying 2 All-rounders in the top 6. There best is very good but its still hap-hazard.
Green is just about the best bat in the country at the moment and not in the discussion. The all-rounder status is irrelevant.

Head and Marsh you have case about only one of them being in the side for being inconsistent, especially when you add in the abysmal form of everyone else not named Green but then there’s just not much outside the team to get excited about from a batting perspective.

Looks like they’re going to jam this one but I am very concerned about India

What has he done to get this label?

He scored 90. Is he in the form he was? No. Is that enough for continued selection? Yes.

What has he done to get this label?

He scored 90. Is he in the form he was? No. Is that enough for continued selection? Yes.
Nutcase is poor form but I dont agree with your previous backing of Labs and before the 90 his output wasnt good enough for continued to selection IMO (even with the lack of options in domestic cricket).

We have a weird thing at the moment where everyone in the top 7 (bar Green since his move to 4) is doing close to nothing for 2-3 tests but then pulling a match-saving innings out their rear making it hard to be dropped.

I predict it will come to a head against India when we get trounced and go through a refresh of sorts that we see every time we do poorly at home.

Nutcase is poor form but I dont agree with your previous backing of Labs and before the 90 his output wasnt good enough for continued to selection IMO (even with the lack of options in domestic cricket).

We have a weird thing at the moment where everyone in the top 7 (bar Green since his move to 4) is doing close to nothing for 2-3 tests but then pulling a match-saving innings out their rear making it hard to be dropped.

I predict it will come to a head against India when we get trounced and go through a refresh of sorts that we see every time we do poorly at home.

Nutcase is poor form and I would love to know why he is being called a nutcase.

Carey and Cummins about to win the test.

I agree to an extent about the top order, my thoughts on Marnus is that he has just scored a 90, continuing the trend you mentioned. At the moment Smith is more of a worry for me as I want to lock Green in at 4. He could be dominant there for a decade.

Nutcase is poor form and I would love to know why he is being called a nutcase.

Carey and Cummins about to win the test.

I agree to an extent about the top order, my thoughts on Marnus is that he has just scored a 90, continuing the trend you mentioned. At the moment Smith is more of a worry for me as I want to lock Green in at 4. He could be dominant there for a decade.
Yeah as the only talent in Australia under 30 that looks bankable, Green has to be prioritised which is what they've done.

Putting on my nuffy hat, I'd consider swapping Smith and Head. Head and Marsh is too scary and fragile and Head (particularly in Australia) can do the Warner thing and Smith at 5 just makes everything a little less terrifying

Yeah as the only talent in Australia under 30 that looks bankable, Green has to be prioritised which is what they've done.

Putting on my nuffy hat, I'd consider swapping Smith and Head. Head and Marsh is too scary and fragile and Head (particularly in Australia) can do the Warner thing and Smith at 5 just makes everything a little less terrifying

Surely there is some talent coming through at shield level? Either away, agree on Green. Marnus is 28 or 29, so he and Head are the younger batters outside of Green. Where is the next 22-24 year old coming through?

Agree with swapping Smith and Head as well. We need to plan for Usman's replacement as well at 37 he can't stick around too long.

Surely there is some talent coming through at shield level? Either away, agree on Green. Marnus is 28 or 29, so he and Head are the younger batters outside of Green. Where is the next 22-24 year old coming through?

Agree with swapping Smith and Head as well. We need to plan for Usman's replacement as well at 37 he can't stick around too long.
The top order talent is dire. Possibly Maddinson can have 4 or so years in him at test level, probably the best opener at Shield at the moment. Other than that, I'd be surprised if we cant get a decent player out of one of McSweeney (25), Goodwin (23) and Wyllie (20) but none of them seem particularly ready (Wyllie cant get a game for WA at the moment).

Davies from NSW is extremely exciting but is batting no higher than 5 (averaging 65 this season and is like 22 or 23 I believe)

I had the exact same thoughts about Carey and his lack of form with the bat.....and now he steps up with a match winning innings for the ages.

Smith is not the answer as an opener and is probably going to get pushed out of the side owing to lack of runs.

Regardless of our batting problems we pulled off a great win. Long live test cricket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had the exact same thoughts about Carey and his lack of form with the bat.....and now he steps up with a match winning innings for the ages.

Smith is not the answer as an opener and is probably going to get pushed out of the side owing to lack of runs.

Regardless of our batting problems we pulled off a great win. Long live test cricket.
Best format in the game.

No one or the amount of 4s and 6s i see in hit and giggle T20 game will change my mind.

Its a shame $$$ have taken over we played more T20s in NZ then tests.

I think thats wrong imagine if it ended up 1-all and no decider the series deserved it.

If he gets English citizenship - Sir Lord Baz McCullum will parachute straight him into the Bazball 11.
Just think of the moral victories they can claim as well after giving an incredible young talent a go after we unfairly tried to ruin his career by not picking him after averaging all of 22 at first class level...

Also, if any of you bring up Jake Fraser-McGurk as an option at test level you will be thread banned and possibly removed from the Freo board
seconded

Head opening made the most sense following Warner's retirement.

Not sure we need such an attacking batter at no. 5 when you've got Marsh at 6 and Carey at 7 but obviously Head is still in our best XI and would have a similar impact to Warner opening imo.

England players in the 1990s & early 2000s were mentally destroyed as batsman by Warne & McGrath.

I think that mental baggage carried over to when they played other countries in tests. Hence there bog average record in test cricket.
Funnily enough Ramprakash actually averaged 42 against Australia with a hundred and 6 fifties. Same number he got against every other nation combined. Hick also had a higher average against Australia than his career (albeit 35 v 32). It was Pakistan that stitched them up. A barely believable combined 230 odd runs at about 10 from 15 tests.

I applaud your courage going early but this is what happens.

Once again, we bow down to the great Bison (half man half wild beast) and whoever that other person is who is our temporary test wicketkeeper.

Best format in the game.

No one or the amount of 4s and 6s i see in hit and giggle T20 game will change my mind.

Its a shame $$$ have taken over we played more T20s in NZ then tests.

I think thats wrong imagine if it ended up 1-all and no decider the series deserved it.

100%. WTF is it with 2 game series? This isn't soccer or Union FFS. Every series should be 3 min. A third test against the Windies would have been great. And a third here in NZ too, as you say. Sacrifice some meaningless short format games to fit them in. Or play longer series less often.

100%. WTF is it with 2 game series? This isn't soccer or Union FFS. Every series should be 3 min. A third test against the Windies would have been great. And a third here in NZ too, as you say. Sacrifice some meaningless short format games to fit them in. Or play longer series less often.
Problem is they'll never sacrifice a test match India or England series for obvious reasons. Nor should they.

Basically means series against all other test nations need to be played in summers where India and England are both not touring. Six tests for the summer (which imo is good anyway) is the only way to keep those other series at three games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back