Resource Non-AFL General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

100%. WTF is it with 2 game series? This isn't soccer or Union FFS. Every series should be 3 min. A third test against the Windies would have been great. And a third here in NZ too, as you say. Sacrifice some meaningless short format games to fit them in. Or play longer series less often.
The IPL starts in 11 days. They would have had to drop the T20 series at the beginning of this tour to fit an extra test in, and even then it'd have been a push. Pre IPL days if Australia was touring NZ you could finish it in late March giving you time for 3 and tests and 3 short form games. Can't do it any more.

Gets me thinking about test cricket in general, the above issue: My view is they need to piss off the former associates off the schedule or make it conferenced to an extent. You'll never save test cricket with traditional test playing nations playing Ireland or Zimbabwe. The Asian minnows should virtually never play outside Asia and the non big three traditional test playing nations (Pakistan, New Zealand, South Africa, Sri Lanka and the West Indies) should never have any teams touring in their country that are not a draw.

Given my rant has now come full circle I'll put an addendum about the WACA on it: I really hope they pull their head out of the arses and someone can get the money together to make to increase the capacity an extra 5000+ on top of what the redevelopment is promising (its says 10,000*) in the years following 26/27.

Make the grass banks bigger and higher and knock down the Players Pavillion, and whatever the hell they call that shack on the West side of the members, and replace them with something big enough that collectively pushes the capacity out past 15000, then we can hold all test matches that aren't against India and England there.

*The information available is contradictory, the WACA web page says 10,000 seated. The actual development application says permanent total capacity 10000 expandable to 15000 for events but I'm assuming that's on ground seats). I.E. We don't know for sure in the 10,000 includes the grass banks or not.

The IPL starts in 11 days. They would have had to drop the T20 series at the beginning of this tour to fit an extra test in, and even then it'd have been a push. Pre IPL days if Australia was touring NZ you could finish it in late March giving you time for 3 and tests and 3 short form games. Can't do it any more.

Gets me thinking about test cricket in general, the above issue: My view is they need to piss off the former associates off the schedule or make it conferenced to an extent. You'll never save test cricket with traditional test playing nations playing Ireland or Zimbabwe. The Asian minnows should virtually never play outside Asia and the non big three traditional test playing nations (Pakistan, New Zealand, South Africa, Sri Lanka and the West Indies) should never have any teams touring in their country that are not a draw.

As much as we all hate to admit it the T20s are semi-important now because of the World T20 later this year. Teams want to see a few more players play T20is than otherwise would be possible with less games.

The games themselves mean **** all but it means teams can trial get extra players before the T20 World Cup.

It’s also no coincidence ODIs have decreased massively since the World Cup last year. This time last year we thought we were playing too many ODIs!

As much as we all hate to admit it the T20s are semi-important now because of the World T20 later this year. Teams want to see a few more players play T20is than otherwise would be possible with less games.

The games themselves mean **** all but it means teams can trial get extra players before the T20 World Cup.

It’s also no coincidence ODIs have decreased massively since the World Cup last year. This time last year we thought we were playing too many ODIs!
Oh yeah I understand why. It's just I tend to find the only thing more dull than a t20 is a t20i

Given my rant has now come full circle I'll put an addendum about the WACA on it: I really hope they pull their head out of the arses and someone can get the money together to make to increase the capacity an extra 5000+ on top of what the redevelopment is promising (its says 10,000*) in the years following 26/27.

Make the grass banks bigger and higher and knock down the Players Pavillion, and whatever the hell they call that shack on the West side of the members, and replace them with something big enough that collectively pushes the capacity out past 15000, then we can hold all test matches that aren't against India and England there.

*The information available is contradictory, the WACA web page says 10,000 seated. The actual development application says permanent total capacity 10000 expandable to 15000 for events but I'm assuming that's on ground seats). I.E. We don't know for sure in the 10,000 includes the grass banks or not.
100% this.

Re-develop the WACA, maintain a grass hill and keep cricket the hell away from Optus (except the Ashes and the Scorchers)

Victoria collapsing to all out 100 behind. Tasmania Rolled for 123 and now 180 behind with 9 SA wickets in hand. My friend who works WACA maintenance is not going be happy*; Shield final back in play.

*I'm sure he'll be happy for the team. Just not have to repaint the opposition name cards for the scoreboard for the 6th time this season.

It would be nice to have a live Sheffield Shield ladder to see where this puts the 4 teams that have completed their 1st innings as far as bonus points are concerned (as no more points can be added other than for a win - 6 points, draw - 1 point or tie -3 points)

Did they actually prepare a pitch or just stick stumps on the square? WA 4 down already in the 2nd.
Whiteman got fired IMO. Incredible the pitch Junction Oval can prepare though when Vic need a win to make finals and a draw wont cut it...

It would be nice to have a live Sheffield Shield ladder to see where this puts the 4 teams that have completed their 1st innings as far as bonus points are concerned (as no more points can be added other than for a win - 6 points, draw - 1 point or tie -3 points)
WA have actually increased their lead to this point with Victoria gaining no batting points and WA 0.44. Both teams 1 full bowling point. Tasmania 0 batting points, 1 bowling point. None of that matters now though as Tasmania scored no batting points and everyone took full bowling points.

Tasmania now need to win if they want to host the final if WA win. If WA lose its TAS v Vic in Hobart irrespective of other results. If TAS win and WA win, TAS v WA. If vice versa then it'll be WA v TAS at the WACA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whiteman got fired IMO. Incredible the pitch Junction Oval can prepare though when Vic need a win to make finals and a draw wont cut it...
Umps been paid off obs. Paris missed his 'nick' behind yesterday by about 3 inches. (I just happened to see it when glancing over from the work computer).

I was just watching 20 minutes of it in the food hall at lunch and the ball is seaming all over the place and showing signs of just going through the top a bit. Its both underprepared and the grass is too long. If the other decks are anything like this it's no wonder the scorelines.

Scoreline in the SA Tasmania game a strong endorsement of McSweeny's talent. Has personally scored 23% of the games runs just in his first dig from a match total of 26 for 511.

Here I was about to bemoan that Shield cricket isn't on Fox, and Snuff and Para indicate it can be streamed live. That's my next few hours sorted...

I was just watching 20 minutes of it in the food hall at lunch and the ball is seaming all over the place and showing signs of just going through the top a bit. Its both underprepared and the grass is too long. If the other decks are anything like this it's no wonder the scorelines.

Scoreline in the SA Tasmania game a strong endorsement of McSweeny's talent. Has personally scored 23% of the games runs just in his first dig from a match total of 26 for 511.
Should be the next batter into the test team if his form continues.

Form is temporary though - I think we've got to see him do it another season unless injuries mean he has to come in earlier.

Saying he should be the next man in and saying he shouldn't be in for a year just says how confident I am in the others making runs in the shield currently.

We have a had great era of Women's Cricket in Australia.

But out of the big 3 guns who have dominated (Lanning, Healy and Perry).

Ellyse is the GOAT for mine of the era. She has done it all in all 3 formats with Bat & Ball.

Healy & Lanning are/were great players and deserve there HOF status in Australian Cricket.

But Perry for mine has them both covered.

Made her debut at 16 and is still going strong 17 years later.

On top of playing for the Matildas as well at some stage.

We have a had great era of Women's Cricket in Australia.

But out of the big 3 guns who have dominated (Lanning, Healy and Perry).

Ellyse is the GOAT for mine of the era. She has done it all in all 3 formats with Bat & Ball.

Healy & Lanning are/were great players and deserve there HOF status in Australian Cricket.

But Perry for mine has them both covered.

Made her debut at 16 and is still going strong 17 years later.

On top of playing for the Matildas as well at some stage.
I'm still devastated the clubs planned Fyfe/Perry Supersoldiers programme fell through

Victoria collapsing to all out 100 behind. Tasmania Rolled for 123 and now 180 behind with 9 SA wickets in hand. My friend who works WACA maintenance is not going be happy*; Shield final back in play.

*I'm sure he'll be happy for the team. Just not have to repaint the opposition name cards for the scoreboard for the 6th time this season.

How’s your mate feeling!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back