Non-Lions discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea how they're still considered a "big club", they are so ineptly run it's comical.

I'm not suggesting the following comment is in any way scientific....

....but, as a Queenslander, watching footy since about 1982-83 when but a lad, I have NEVER heard someone having Essendon as a "second team". Ever.

:D

....but, as a Queenslander, watching footy since about 1982-83 when but a lad, I have NEVER heard someone having Essendon as a "second team". Ever.

Conversely the 'second team' is usually one you don't find a threat, semi-irrelevant, sometimes with a touch of pity for their poor long suffering fans ... so no one having Essendon as their second team could be parlayed into a compliment...

Conversely the 'second team' is usually one you don't find a threat, semi-irrelevant, sometimes with a touch of pity for their poor long suffering fans ... so no one having Essendon as their second team could be parlayed into a compliment...

You're a bad man, VR <3

When does one have pity for the Dons? :D

From what I can gather, Essendon’s primary reasons for existing are, in this order:

A) scandals, sagas and controversies.
B) reviews, both internal and external.
C) the cyclical recruitment and sacking of coaches,CEOs and board members.
D) plotting, backstabbing and manoeuvring by an endless parade of powerbrokers, coterie members and assorted hangers-on.
E) public announcements, club statements and clarifications that rarely clarify.
F) routinely rolling out former club greats who have either tried to escape the club’s clutches but get dragged back in, or hang around suspiciously, long past their use by date, gabbing to anyone who will listen to them (yes, looking at you Sheedy).

The club also occasionally participates in games of Australian Football.

As a Victorian watching footy since the late 60's, I also have never heard anyone say Essendon is their second team. I expect to see a living thylacine before that happens.

From what I can gather, Essendon’s primary reasons for existing are, in this order:

D) plotting, backstabbing and manoeuvring by an endless parade of powerbrokers, coterie members and assorted hangers-on.
E) public announcements, club statements and clarifications that rarely clarify.
F) routinely rolling out former club greats who have either tried to escape the club’s clutches but get dragged back in, or hang around suspiciously, long past their use by date, gabbing to anyone who will listen to them (yes, looking at you Sheedy).

You missed G) Ex irrelevant Essendon players with cushy media jobs potting every other club and blow-horn views of what great football players they once were with Essendon.

You're a bad man, VR <3

When does one have pity for the Dons? :D
No pity ... just took a short walk into the dark terrifying place that is the mind of an Essendon supporter (aided by the fact that when I was a kid all of my parents generation in the family were Essendon supporters ... so naturally we all ended up going for the Tigers ;) ).

If you remember back when Carlton truly sucked one of the complaints they had was that no one hated them ... they truly believed it was their rightful place to be strong, feared, and hated and that hatred fed their souls.

Ah but they don't have to worry about the football - they are Essendon and natural wearers of the Purple so that will all come right in the end. If others cannot see their glory then that is their loss ... it is a Essendon thing, you wouldn't understand.

Old boys network plus the general rule that if you've been made a CEO of any decent size organisation you'll be continually appointed to other similar level roles, regardless of how much you've failed previously.
Same thing happens in leadership of education department, health, police, etc.

SO, aside from schedule a review into things, what exactly do the Don's board and executive DO? :D

Essendon paid NFL powerbroker Michael Lombardi to assess its football department in 2019 — but failed to ever formally present his findings to the club’s board.

As the Bombers await the findings from their second formal review this season, it can be revealed Lombardi spoke to all key figures in the football department during his week-long visit to Tullamarine late in the 2019 season.

The 63-year-old attended match committee, opposition analysis, team meetings and reviews.

Lombardi sent a document filled with his observations to former chief executive Xavier Campbell, who drove the decision to engage Lombardi.

But some board members never received Lombardi’s observations while others claimed they were only given a summary.

It’s understood the Bombers covered the cost of Lombardi’s flights and paid him a small fee in exchange for his work. Lombardi also attended a luncheon with club sponsors.

The Bombers have privately conceded their old administration made a mistake by never formally canvassing the document.

It’s understood Lindsay Tanner, who was chairman at the time, did not meet Lombardi.

Tanner declined to comment on Friday.

Multiple staff members insisted that Lombardi was hands-on. They were told he would be reviewing the football program, but said they never saw any outcomes come from it.

It’s understood Lombardi spoke to staff at Essendon’s Reynolds Room and Coleman Room meeting rooms and also held less formal chats in the club’s cafe.

Lombardi has been an executive for San Francisco 49ers, Cleveland Browns, Philadelphia Eagles and Oakland Raiders and also worked under legendary coach Bill Belichick.

The Herald Sun put questions to Lombardi recently regarding his work for Essendon.

Lombardi, who lives in the US, asked for more information and arranged a time to speak.

However Lombardi suddenly changed his mind, saying: “My relationship with Essendon is confidential”.

The Bombers are adamant the Lombardi report is irrelevant now, given the club has undergone multiple leadership transformations since.

When Lombardi visited they had John Worsfold as coach, Ben Rutten as his assistant, Dan Richardson as football manager, Campbell as chief executive and Tanner as president.

They have all departed.

The Bombers have commissioned another three formal reviews since receiving Lombardi’s observations.

Former chairman Paul Brasher commissioned an internal review after the dismal 2020 season, which uncovered a more “ruthless” coaching mantra suited the players, and then another internal review after the 2-9 start to this season.

When new president David Barham ousted Brasher in August he demanded an external review because he was not happy with this year‘s internal review, which — like the 2020 version — was led by football directors Simon Madden and Sean Wellman.

Former player Andrew Welsh replaced Madden on the board last month.

Barham’s external review, which is being led by Ernst & Young and one-day chief executive Andrew Thorburn, is being finalised now.

Unlike Lombardi, the EY review will form a set of recommendations for the entire club — starting with the board and executive. The review will cover Essendon’s culture and processes and will also assess all of the administration and football department.

Thorburn said he hoped the EY review would lead to “great change”.

The board are a shambles, when they first announced an internal review in June it was conducted in part BY the board members so of course they're not going to find any problem with the board. The board appear primarily interested in keeping their own jobs and therefore making the safest decisions possible in every scenario.

As Lloyd said at the time an external review was needed and from what I've seen probably a whole new board as well (keep Sheedy for entertainment value).

It was once said that sane intelligent business people join the boards of football clubs and immediately remove their heads and replace them with a pineapple.Essendon is another example of the truth of this axiom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I humbly put forward that once per year, the player's goal songs are compiled according to "Favourite K-Pop/J-Pop songs" :D

EDIT - I'll go first!!!!

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO :D

Actually BEYOOOOONDS has a song where the audience participates by playing castanets with them. We should do the same at the GABBA. Hand out castanets and have 30000 castanets going off at once.

On SM-A226B using BigFooty.com mobile app

A story in HUN today of a young Indigenous lad from up Darwin and the islands in the draft probably going to Essendon (poor kid) anyhoo he grew up barracking for the Lions as his dad was a Lions fan....the lad idolises Simon Black, his dad would show him clips etc of him, tries to play like him. His player he likes these days is Charlie Cameron..

These are the kids I'd love to see play for us. The boy has had troubles in his life but he's determined to play AFL..

Wouldn't he benefit (and us) having a coach like Fages and playing with Charlie..

..oh yeah, there's a hiccup in that area, grr.

A story in HUN today of a young Indigenous lad from up Darwin and the islands in the draft probably going to Essendon (poor kid) anyhoo he grew up barracking for the Lions as his dad was a Lions fan....the lad idolises Simon Black, his dad would show him clips etc of him, tries to play like him. His player he likes these days is Charlie Cameron..

These are the kids I'd love to see play for us. The boy has had troubles in his life but he's determined to play AFL..

Wouldn't he benefit (and us) having a coach like Fages and playing with Charlie..

Munkara's game for the NAB academy against Collingwood showed he has some serious talent.

We’d need a pick under 40 to get Munkara, as per NGA rules.

Prodigiously talented. But dropped off the radar very early in the season.

How are Port going to get the Jason Horne-Francis deal done? They currently have picks 8, 33, 43, 53.

No way and neither should North take 8 and next years 1st rounder + steak knives, IMO the minimum would be a top 3 selection this year plus another selection in the top dozen. A player (Riley Bonner?) if North fancies them or a 3rd/4th club needs to become involved.

How are Port going to get the Jason Horne-Francis deal done? They currently have picks 8, 33, 43, 53.

No way and neither should North take 8 and next years 1st rounder + steak knives, IMO the minimum would be a top 3 selection this year plus another selection in the top dozen. A player (Riley Bonner?) if North fancies them or a 3rd/4th club needs to become involved.

Probably won’t happen

I think they’re pretty professional about it these days

Will be a touch awkward for the North fans who went all in on calling JFH a traitorous, bogan snake.

reading the north board it seems like people who are "in the know" have stated the rest of the team dislikes jhf due to his conduct throughout the year so id imagine they wouldnt exactly welcome him back with open arms after he pulled this on top of it

i dont really think 8 + f1 + a bonner type is unfair.

reading the north board it seems like people who are "in the know" have stated the rest of the team dislikes jhf due to his conduct throughout the year so id imagine they wouldnt exactly welcome him back with open arms after he pulled this on top of it

i dont really think 8 + f1 + a bonner type is unfair.
sometimes it just not work out.
Although players used to stick it out more before. Now they want to go home after one year.
You think with all the draft camps etc there be a lot more work if they can get away from mums cooking :)
Maybe they need to ask for top ten dinners :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back