Non-Lions discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

With that goal Crows just eclipsed us as the highest scoring team of the home and away season. Wonder how often, if at all, the highest scoring team of the year has missed finals?

First time since the 60s I think.

In fairness - Crows will end up as the highest scoring team because they played west coast twice and we didn't.

We've had double ups against 3 of the stingiest 4 defences (Saints, Dees, Pies), and theres a chance those 3 teams end up as the 3 best points against teams if Carlton concede 90ish today.

From memory, Brown and Fevola had some of their better goal kicking tallies in years where their team made finals though (post 2004 in Brown's case). I feel like good forwards stay good forwards even as their team gets better.
Yeah I think the key point is that good forwards are good regardless. In bad teams it can be due to more opportunity, in good hands it can be due to better opportunity, but I can't think of any examples where someone I'd consider an indifferent player kicked 50+ these days let alone 70+.

Looking up Fev
Sarah Silverman Eww GIF by HULU

If Port play like this in the finals they will get flogged.

Saw a few posts on their board last night saying that Brisbane's form looks shaky and that we are very beatable at the Gabba.

Gone a bit early perhaps.

If the Tigers do the unlikely and beat Port what are the odds the Demons tank this afternoon to secure a home QF against the Pies instead of travelling to the Gabba to play a team like us.

Also, if a few things go Richmond's way (injuries, development progress etc) , I could see them making the 8 next year. They clearly need Lynch fit all year but otherwise, they have most bases covered - good rucks, decent onballers, a couple of quality KPPs and still some classy flanker types like Baker, Vlastuin, Short etc. They won't be absolute contenders but I think they'll give their supporters some entertainment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Half time update.

If Port can keep Richmond scoreless in the second half and kick 225 more points, they will steal second place.

Nervous times.
Think it's more again because of it being percentage based as well.

Come on Port get it done please.... on this showing I would be extremely confident of beating them at the Gabba and booking a home Prelim.

Yeah I think the key point is that good forwards are good regardless. In bad teams it can be due to more opportunity, in good hands it can be due to better opportunity, but I can't think of any examples where someone I'd consider an indifferent player kicked 50+ these days let alone 70+.

Jack Anthony kicking 50 goals in a season still baffles me.

Fwiiw I'd much rather play Melbourne than PA.

PA are a genuine threat to us. I think we have Melbourne covered.

Man I couldn't disagree more. We can play super well against melbourne, have our system humming, and still lose because they have 3 of the best 6-7 players in the comp.

Port's young mids are great - but neither end of the ground is. If we turn up with the required intensity we should have too much for them at home.

Man I couldn't disagree more. We can play super well against melbourne, have our system humming, and still lose because they have 3 of the best 6-7 players in the comp.

Port's young mids are great - but neither end of the ground is. If we turn up with the required intensity we should have too much for them at home.
Don't see it that way. I think Port have improvement there on their last few games. We've had it all over Melbourne the last 2 times we've played them and it was only a fluke we coughed it up so badly last time. We should know how to handle Gawn next time. Their forward line is brittle.

Port is the sort of team that could really trouble us if they get a run on. This match up worries me , particularly their m/f run . But all things being equal we're favourites at home to beat either.

Port's new midfield is unproven in big finals and I think they are shakier defensively. Gawn, Oliver and co are proven and potentially scary. And I think Melbourne's defensive system is miles better. A physical, contested footy winning midfield and outstanding team defence is a very good advantage in finals.

We know from 2001-03 what it's like to go into finals believing you're the best and toughest. I reckon Melbourne have that belief. Not saying that they are necessarily the best but I reckon they will walk onto any ground against any opposition completely confident that their best is good enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back