Non-Lions Footy Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's absolutely ridiculous that Collingwood on the one hand complain about the Northern academies then come out boasting that they're specifically targeting GWS players as it's "the natural way".

Having your cake and all that.

The GWS over reaction is just beyond belief. Just because Collingwood suffered another embarrassing loss Eddie decided to make it an issue and all of the Melbourne footy / media sheep followed.

Do any of these idiots realise that GWS has still never made the finals and have so far finished their 4 seasons in 18th, 18th, 16th and 11th? Yet after one great win (against a Hawthorn side that has for the most part being a shadow of themselves from recent years) they are talking about domination and dynasties. What in the world are they talking about? If they lose key players to injuries like they did last year with Mumford, then they are not even guaranteed to make the finals.

And at the same time they are talking about disaster at Gold Coast who have also yet to make the finals despite this being their 6th year (with season finishes of 17/17, 17th 14th, 12th, and 16th). [Although that is an over-reaction as well given Gold Coast are 3 and 3 only one game behind GWS on 4 and 2, albeit with a much worse percentage].

Yet as has been pointed out, Hawthorn plays 4 grand finals in a row, wins 3 in a row, makes the finals in 8 out of the last 9 seasons, and virtually not a peep of any concerns that certain things in the competition may be balanced in their favour (like the transformation of player movements around - but not necessarily involving - free agency).

I mean WTF??? It is like we are living in bizarro world.

Last edited:

Victorian club. QED.

I remember the angst over the 2001-2006 run of premierships without a Victorian winner and how Victorian football needed propping up - never mind that it could happen purely by chance, they got priority picks and cash infusions.

We've since had seven of the last eight premierships go to Victoria, and a deafening silence over the state of the game outside its boundaries unless it's to pull back anything from those that dare win one of their premierships (poor Sydney) or even a game (poor GWS).

Victorian club. QED.

I remember the angst over the 2001-2006 run of premierships without a Victorian winner and how Victorian football needed propping up - never mind that it could happen purely by chance, they got priority picks and cash infusions.

We've since had seven of the last eight premierships go to Victoria, and a deafening silence over the state of the game outside its boundaries unless it's to pull back anything from those that dare win one of their premierships (poor Sydney) or even a game (poor GWS).

Brilliant post.

+ makes it look like we made out like bandits in the trade last year. It seemed like we were pushing hard to keep him but I just don't see why. I only wanted to keep him due to being a high pick and didn't want the whole Brisbane is a basket case.

It's absolutely ridiculous that Collingwood on the one hand complain about the Northern academies then come out boasting that they're specifically targeting GWS players as it's "the natural way".

Having your cake and all that.
Collingwood's new trade strategy- copy Carlton :tearsofjoy:

Would Aish be in our 22 if he was still here?? His form this year has been terrible. If he doesn't make Collingwoods squad for this week (now varcoe and adams are out) it would make you think why the hell did we use pick 7 on him.

We'll never know, but there's a chance Aish would be performing better if he'd stayed with us.

He struggled with that back flank role Leppa gave him, but maybe with some persistence he could have made it work.

His best ever game for us was probably in that win against the Saints in Wellington, played in terrible conditions. He might have gone okay last week against the Swans in the wet.

Oh well. Sliding doors.

We'll never know, but there's a chance Aish would be performing better if he'd stayed with us.

He struggled with that back flank role Leppa gave him, but maybe with some persistence he could have made it work.

His best ever game for us was probably in that win against the Saints in Wellington, played in terrible conditions. He might have gone okay last week against the Swans in the wet.

Oh well. Sliding doors.
That's the strange thing- he struggled playing a defensive wing sort of role for us, so Collingwood put him there too. Makes sense.

The GWS over reaction is just beyond belief. Just because Collingwood suffered another embarrassing loss Eddie decided to make it an issue and all of the Melbourne footy / media sheep followed.

Do any of these idiots realise that GWS has still never made the finals and have so far finished their 4 seasons in 18th, 18th, 16th and 11th? Yet after one great win (against a Hawthorn side that has for the most part being a shadow of themselves from recent years) they are talking about domination and dynasties. What in the world are they talking about? If they lose key players to injuries like they did last year with Mumford, then they are not even guaranteed to make the finals.

And at the same time they are talking about disaster at Gold Coast who have also yet to make the finals despite this being their 6th year (with season finishes of 17/17, 17th 14th, 12th, and 16th). [Although that is an over-reaction as well given Gold Coast are 3 and 3 only one game behind GWS on 4 and 2, albeit with a much worse percentage].

Yet as has been pointed out, Hawthorn plays 4 grand finals in a row, wins 3 in a row, makes the finals in 8 out of the last 9 seasons, and virtually not a peep of any concerns that certain things in the competition may be balanced in their favour (like the transformation of player movements around - but not necessarily involving - free agency).

I wish I could like this post more than once:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently, a team that's 4-2 and lost to Melbourne a few weeks back is an unstoppable juggernaut.

This sudden uproar erupted because they beat a team that's been out of form for at least a month and recently almost lost to the Saints.

It goes without saying that drastic rule changes are warranted in order to deal with this emergency.

This sudden uproar erupted because they beat a team that's been out of form for at least a month and recently almost lost to the Saints.

.....and the Dogs and the Crows.

In truth, the Hawks are bloody lucky to be 4-2. Their form leading into the GWS game was shaky at best. They were well below full strength, ripe for the picking and were probably going to get towelled by a decent side.

The way they (Eddie and Co) are carrying on, you would think the Hawthorn were flying, at full strength and sweeping all before them, Nothing could be further than the truth.

Last edited:
It begins. Amazing how quickly the AFL step up on an issue when certain people demand it.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/vic...l/news-story/2af9815040e02dbd12d221bfefb9a7a2

It staggers me the hypocrisy the AFL stinks of every time this happens. The vested interests just somehow ramrod their way over and over and over again. If the AFL can't see how sycophantic it looks to continually bend over to this BS then there's simply no hope. To claim to be a world class sporting organization is pure fantasy - they look weak, childish and ill disciplined.

There's never been a clearer example of the tail wagging the dog - and it's pathetic to watch.

And the worst part? We knew it was coming. Shakes head...

Devils advocate here.
The league’s position on Marshall is that he has not had sufficient involvement with the GWS academy given he’s spent the past two winters in England playing cricket and only recently appeared on GWS’s radar.

In the current climate, does not seem over the top to me. Just how much have the Giants had to do with him?

Devils advocate here.

In the current climate, does not seem over the top to me. Just how much have the Giants had to do with him?

Not much. He was a fairly recent sign-up. I think a minimum academy membership length would at least halve the angst, but any concession is heading down the death of a thousand cuts as they slowly cut into the academies again and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back