Not a stalker, just a fan: Simmo's interview summaries

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me or are Simmo's Monday night chats on 6PR getting shorter & shorter? I swear they've dropped for about 7-9 minutes at the start of the season to about 3-5 minutes in the last month or so.

Is it just me or are Simmo's Monday night chats on 6PR getting shorter & shorter? I swear they've dropped for about 7-9 minutes at the start of the season to about 3-5 minutes in the last month or so.

If you had to talk to the likes of Langdon and hardie wouldn't you want to get it over and done with?

If you had to talk to the likes of Langdon and hardie wouldn't you want to get it over and done with?

Haha fair point, but I enjoy hearing his thoughts from the weekends game & on the upcoming game. It's much more laid back and less robotic that the after game presser, just wish they'd chat to him for a few more minutes.

On the flip side it feels like they chat to Lyon for a good fifteen minutes sometimes, and listening to him near on puts me to sleep.

I know it's not exactly the same subject, but boy I'd love if you could summarise jackovich's interview on 6pr tonight bombard , ripped Sheahan a new one.

Pretty please :confused:

There's more to question and discuss when things are going s**t.

Dugg, since you asked so nicely - Jako on 6pr.

- Disappointed to hear someone that is highly respected to say that. I invite Sheehan to come to WA and do his research. It's ill-informed.
- Team of the decade type lists are subjective.
- What he fails to do is look at in his 70s, 80s list is to look at blokes with criminal records - yet he dismisses Ben, a sick person trying to get better. He wasn't a bad person - he was sick.
- This is typical Victorian rhetoric. It's disappointing.
- Dugg is a very lucky boy for getting this summary.*
- The Ben rehab period was probably the healthiest Ben was for years - he had a minder paid for by the club. Didn't touch drugs for months. He doesn't realise the club spent more than $100k to try and get him healthier. The issue is healthy versus sick - not bad person versus good.
- Sheehan is fueled by a disgruntled WCE coach that was sacked in the early 2000s and went on a crusade to destroy the club. (Editor note: I WONDER WHO HE'S REFERRING TO.)
- During the rehab period, Ben was probably in the safest and best place he was during his entire career.
- Look at Gary Ablett, he had periods on the sidelines and he came back and performed very well from week one - such as with Ben, this was ill-informed.
- Asked re: broader AFL drug use in the 1990s/2000s: I was working in 6pr during that period and I don't think anyone was more critical of WCE than me and you [Langdon] - during 2006-2008 - regarding the implosion in WCE.
- In my view, the club has addressed its drug problems far better than many other clubs. There have been and are issues with other clubs and drugs that have been swept under the rug - including some we're not allowed to speak about.
- I'll accept the fact that club was going through a difficult period, and the flag may be tainted, but to say that there was a drug culture was false. There were three or four players who had drug issues, tops.
- The Eagles went to the AFL and asked for help of their own volition. They put their hand up and owned the issues, unlike some other clubs.
- Mike's effort re the Eagles in the 2000s was poor journalism.

* May not have happened.

v06N8.gif

Bravo Jako, about time someone had the balls to tell it how it is :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- Asked which forum member he'd most like to give birth to, he replied: "Ochre. He seems like he wouldn't put up much of a fight at all."*

* May not have happened (and one for the podcast followers, obvs)
giphy.gif

Simmo team announcement presser:

- Asked re: Schofield - we think he's alright. We're going in unchanged. He got a knock to his calf and we'll test him tomorrow, but we anticipate he'll be okay.
- We think we can cover him if he does go down - but GC have great tall forwards - we want him available.
- He'll do a test in GC. 6 day break, long trip - we'll see how he travels and trains.
- If he doesn't get up, we have some contingencies in mind.
- We're pretty confident he'll play. If Schofield drops out we'll either use one of the named emergencies or fly someone over.
- Asked if McGovern was close: we hope he's okay for next week - we'll sign off today or tomorrow as to whether he can train this week coming.
- Asked if Hawks next week will distract from this week: Hopefully not. 4 points is 4 points. This is a big test of our consistency. Our effort and results have held up well - but this week is another challenge.
- Asked if top 2 is part of the club's discussions internally: We have the same message. We're happy we can control our own destiny and we know we can have a tilt, but we just want to win this week and not looking too far ahead. Know you (journalist) want more than that, but that's as far as we go.
- We block the season up and we don't look too far ahead. This is the start of a new block. Our focus won't change.
- Asked re Sheed's signing: We were really happy with his form last year, not just this year - we expect he'll be right up there in the rising star. We're pleased with his progression - he still has work to do - he's a local boy and we're happy it got done. We're just as happy with the other two boys, long-term.
- We think we had a great draft last year.
- Asked re Selwood contract: I'm not too involved. We're patient. I think he's more fixed on his form and footy right now.
- Asked re Ablett affecting GC chances: They're dangerous even without the runs on the board. We've scouted a change in what they're doing, and their talls are very impactful. Completely different team to what we saw in round 7.
- Ablett wasn't with them in round 7 either. I'm not going to say we want to face these guys - but keeping your best players on the park is tough - no side is full strength right now, including us.
- Asked re Selwood sub (form problem?): Probably part injury, part form improvement. It's going to take his ankle basically a full season before he can get back. He's been restricted and we need to manage him. That said, midfield is going well so he has to earn the spot too.
- Asked if Simmo thinks Selwood will be with us next season: I hope so. He's our VC, B&F winner. He's an important part of the side.
- Asked re Selwood contract again: We've had conversations with him, but nothing too deep. It's been more about form and his body. He'll make the decision when he needs to. We'll let you know when he does.
- Look, it'll be disappointing for all of us if Selwood does decide to move on - but we're confident of picking up one of Rowan Jones or Tom Swift in the rookie draft and we think they could both plug the gap.*
- Asked re Selwood subbing and whether it harms contract negs: What the team and player needs and what impact they can have all factor in. He's been part of a rotation, as has Sheed, Hutchings. It's not like it's anything other than who we're playing and where they're at.
- Asked re resting players: Not considering it. Maybe it's a maturity thing for the coaching staff, but I don't think many clubs are yet. We've not locked anything yet - and plenty of games to come. Until you're sure about where you will finish before you can rest up.
- Asked re McInnes injury: Disappointing. Looks like we've lost him for the season. I think we've got Lycett and Lamb coming through - but Fraser going down isn't ideal - he would have been in the mix this week.
- Asked if we're close to best 22: Availability is what matters right now - we're not batting overly deep on injuries. At the start of the year you wouldn't have said our 22 looks like it does now. We're evolving and we're happy with the path we're on right now.

* May not have happened.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back