Universal Love Not Boo-ing Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No they aren't. You are claiming he is because he is Indigenous which in turn actually makes you racist.
I don't no if you are choosing to be ignorant or you just don't have the cognitive ability to grasp it.

Even if you can't get it... Do you think all the people saying it is racist are just pushing a political agenda? hell when even conservative talk back like FiveAA think it's racist there really must be something in it...

So calling out a girl for a clearly racist comment aimed at him was the wrong thing to do?

Are you sure she was being racist? Up until that incident I had no idea that ape was a racist term (not that I have ever used it). I really don't think she knew it to be racist, she was comparing his appearance to that of an Ape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So calling out a girl for a clearly racist comment aimed at him was the wrong thing to do?

Absolutely!!!!!

At the time when it happened I was like good on Goodes that will teach the smart arse a lesson and discourage racism. However since that time I have started working with girls that age and that action by Goodes has most likely traumatized that girl. If the media followed her story up I suspect she would be suffering something from that episode. No matter how tough a 13yo girl pretends to be, getting publicly vilified on national TV for a comment (racist or not) cant be mentally good for the girl at all.

Her identity wasn't kept secret like other children her age who do the wrong thing. Sure she called Goodes a racist name but he should have seen it was a young girl and walked off. Not act like a raving lunatic on the sidelines highlighting the incident. He could have pointed out the incident to Eddie after the game. Sure I guess he had enough but he is an Adult in his mid 30s she was barely out of primary school. Whose the party that should have known better?

I am not excusing her actions by any means and it could have been dealt with behind the scenes is all I am saying.

I don't no if you are choosing to be ignorant or you just don't have the cognitive ability to grasp it.

Even if you can't get it... Do you think all the people saying it is racist are just pushing a political agenda? hell when even conservative talk back like FiveAA think it's racist there really must be something in it...

Yet you don't notice mainstream media backing away from racist claims by using alternative wording from the strong wording they initially used. Why? Because there is no evidence of it being racist. You cant make up evidence because its the opinion of a few. Media will always play the majority card because they need to keep their jobs. It took Shock Jocks to disagree with the racism terminology and no one actually was able to use any evidence to argue against them. Its an issue blown out of the water. Obviously booing Goodes is stupid anyhow. I have never booed anyone at the footy and don't see how targeting one player like crowds have been doing would have been 40k supporters being racist.

The problem with you is your failing to accept alternative views. You are calling everyone else childish or stupid in an attempt to highlight how your views are superior. I am merely stating you cant invent proof to spin for your agenda.
go back and read my post history... I have outlined it about 8 or 9 times... as have others.. you are just ignoring it because you can't comprehend it.

go back and read my post history... I have outlined it about 8 or 9 times... as have others.. you are just ignoring it because you can't comprehend it.

People have argued against your views just as often. Either you cant comprehend it your you are arrogant to suggest their is only one view. Were you in the WCE crowd who booed Goodes? Did you ask them why he was being booed? No then argument over! You cant argue racism with no proof.

No, but some people would have thought it was heavy-handed and the 'face of racism' stuff over the top

Seems to me the people booing him are the douchebags. The man is not a douchebag. Would you boo him to his face? Would anyone? No, because that is not acceptable behaviour in anyone's language. Neither is doing it as part of a herd of sheep - anonymous in the crowd. Booing someone for a dirty act on field is very very different to what is happening to Goodes at the moment.
No one would boo anyone to their face - umpires, Carey, Buckley, Goodes.

The overwhelming hostility shown him because he used the phrase Invasion Day,.
It's like a rape victim being criticized for using the word rape because the rapists family don't like the word, don't want to face up to the emotions being connected to that crime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are people "booing with" then? We can rule out fun and banter, so what?

Id suggest booing at games - of Adam Goodes, Hayden Ballantyne, umpires, or anyone else is for the vast majority of people exactly that - a bit of fun.

We can argue till the cows come home as to whether it is in good taste, mature, necessary etc..., but let's all agree that for the vast majority of people, it is most definitely NOT driven by some deep seated racially driven hatred of the man, despite what the media and some others sensationilists in this thread are trying to portray this as.

In this thread alone over the last few pages alone I've read words like 'vicious' and 'hate filled crap' to describe what is in essence just some yobbos at the footy booing a player. I mean fair dinkum, how did it come to this

Absolutely!!!!!

At the time when it happened I was like good on Goodes that will teach the smart arse a lesson and discourage racism. However since that time I have started working with girls that age and that action by Goodes has most likely traumatized that girl. If the media followed her story up I suspect she would be suffering something from that episode. No matter how tough a 13yo girl pretends to be, getting publicly vilified on national TV for a comment (racist or not) cant be mentally good for the girl at all.

Her identity wasn't kept secret like other children her age who do the wrong thing. Sure she called Goodes a racist name but he should have seen it was a young girl and walked off. Not act like a raving lunatic on the sidelines highlighting the incident. He could have pointed out the incident to Eddie after the game. Sure I guess he had enough but he is an Adult in his mid 30s she was barely out of primary school. Whose the party that should have known better?

I am not excusing her actions by any means and it could have been dealt with behind the scenes is all I am saying.

Exactly my thoughts, to make it even worse when Eddie made the 'King Kong' comment about Goodes on radio nothing was really made of it. This is the one moment where he should have made a stand and didn't.

Absolutely!!!!!

Can't see as how 'behind the scenes' would have achieved much at all. 'Behind the scenes' kinda implies keep it hidden. Big life lesson for that 13 yo and subsequently for millions of others of all ages. :)

Have we established that the person on the receiving end of comments/boos determines if it's racist or not, and not the person delivering it?

No?

I'll come back...
You'll be like Moses wandering the desert before many can comprehend the subtleties and complexities of racism. Without sounding like a complete wank I do think it's something some people just don't have the capacity to grasp.

Can't see as how 'behind the scenes' would have achieved much at all. 'Behind the scenes' kinda implies keep it hidden. Big life lesson for that 13 yo and subsequently for millions of others of all ages. :)

So potentially traumatizing a 13yo for life through public humiliation because of calling out a name is fine by you? That would solve the problem now but what if she developes phobias about going out in public and can't function in the workplace. It can be serious. Not something to be made fun of. Behind the scenes comments were hinting at education before humiliation.

No.

Free speech is not a place to hide hate and harassment and prejudice.

Booing is not free speech.

Telling everyone they are racist if they boo is harrassment and prejudice.

Not really that hard to work with the limitations of your version of free speech.

For what its worth, I'm not going to boo Adam Goodes, this whole thing has become a ridicolous.

So potentially traumatizing a 13yo for life through public humiliation because of calling out a name is fine by you? That would solve the problem now but what if she developes phobias about going out in public and can't function in the workplace. It can be serious. Not something to be made fun of. Behind the scenes comments were hinting at education before humiliation.

My initial thought was hoping she wouldn't harm herself... Kids have suicided over much less...

You'll be like Moses wandering the desert before many can comprehend the subtleties and complexities of racism. Without sounding like a complete wank I do think it's something some people just don't have the capacity to grasp.
And that's why they're getting all fired up. No one likes to be called a racist when they think they aren't being one.

This thread be like...

"You cant call me racist! I'm not one! I'm not being racist!"
"Doesn't matter. What you're doing is being perceived as racist by the person you're doing it at."
"But it's not though."
"But yes, it is."
"Booooooooooooooooooo!"

Repeat x infinity

Id suggest booing at games - of Adam Goodes, Hayden Ballantyne, umpires, or anyone else is for the vast majority of people exactly that - a bit of fun.

We can argue till the cows come home as to whether it is in good taste, mature, necessary etc..., but let's all agree that for the vast majority of people, it is most definitely NOT driven by some deep seated racially driven hatred of the man, despite what the media and some others sensationilists in this thread are trying to portray this as.

In this thread alone over the last few pages alone I've read words like 'vicious' and 'hate filled crap' to describe what is in essence just some yobbos at the footy booing a player. I mean fair dinkum, how did it come to this

I didn't say the booing was racist. In fact I think calling it racist (by Goodes, the Aboriginal community, the AFL, the Media etc.) is just making it worse because nobody likes to be accused of something they are not.

That's beside the point. It's not "general booing", it's persistent and unprecedented booing done out of spite and I completely disagree that it's a bit of fun. It's got uglier than fun and I stand by my points, including that it's piss weak booing from a crowd if you've got a issue with a person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back