Oppo Camp Other Games Rolling Thread 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

2-4 weeks suspension - P Wright, rules have shifted on the bump this year.
They have-but it's a joke. What did Wright do wrong other than be the poor sucker who had to contest that hospital kick? Human instinct will always cause a player to turn his body and brace for contact in the last millisecond before the collision. Context and intent should always matter. We will soon have the appalling spectacle of two players stopping and allowing the ball to go over their heads rather than risk a collision and possible hefty suspension.

They have-but it's a joke. What did Wright do wrong other than be the poor sucker who had to contest that hospital kick? Human instinct will always cause a player to turn his body and brace for contact in the last millisecond before the collision. Context and intent should always matter. We will soon have the appalling spectacle of two players stopping and allowing the ball to go over their heads rather than risk a collision and possible hefty suspension.
Stop watching the game if you think it is so appalling.

ANZAC Day will be a big clash this year. The Bombers and their fans have been on the receiving end for a long time and will relish the chance to smash us. But I love it when we are underdogs and written off. It's usually when we are at our best.

ANZAC Day will be a big clash this year. The Bombers and their fans have been on the receiving end for a long time and will relish the chance to smash us. But I love it when we are underdogs and written off. It's usually when we are at our best.
Canā€™t recall too many small ANZAC games.

Stop watching the game if you think it is so appalling.
Where did I say the current game is appalling? Nowhere. I said "we will soon have the appalling spectacle" if the new rules are as draconian as many are suggesting. So, that's why I still watch it. You are so quick to have a dig you get over excited and make yourself look silly.

Canā€™t recall too many small ANZAC games.
Another dumb comment. There have been many dull. uninspiring pre-match buildups over the years when the two sides are at opposite ends of the ladder. Do you think the clashes when we annihilated Essendon when they were cellar dwellers would be as "big" as a clash when both teams are finals bound or up near the top four? The very same logic applies to the opening round clashes between Carlton and Richmond.

Contrary to the BS line about ladder positions not mattering-they make for a much more feral atmosphere when the stakes are high.

Where did I say the current game is appalling? Nowhere. I said "we will soon have the appalling spectacle" if the new rules are as draconian as many are suggesting. So, that's why I still watch it. You are so quick to have a dig you get over excited and make yourself look silly.
God, you are so predictable and full of yourself. Stop commenting on concussions. Itā€™s got nothing to do with ā€œappalling spectaclesā€ and old farts who wish for a bygone age.

Times have changed. Get on board, orā€¦

God, you are so predictable and full of yourself. Stop commenting on concussions. Itā€™s got nothing to do with ā€œappalling spectaclesā€ and old farts who wish for a bygone age.

Times have changed. Get on board, orā€¦
You calling me full of myself is hilarious. You never stop pontificating. I don't wish for a bygone age. Where did I ever say that? I said context and intent matter as was proven last year when Maynard was not suspended despite ending a player's career. Do you think Maynard should have missed the GF and copped six weeks for that action?

You calling me full of myself is hilarious. You never stop pontificating. I don't wish for a bygone age. Where did I ever say that? I said context and intent matter as was proven last year when Maynard was not suspended despite ending a player's career. Do you think Maynard should have missed the GF and copped six weeks for that action?
Itā€™s pretty simple. Do something on the field that results in a concussion and you will be suspended.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This competitive performance from Essendon is only highlighting how poor we have been this year.

Sydney might well run away with it from here but they don't look like the world beaters they did against us.
My thoughts exactly. Amazing what effort can bring.

Bombers without guelfi, parish, redman. Some handy additions

This competitive performance from Essendon is only highlighting how poor we have been this year.

Sydney might well run away with it from here but they don't look like the world beaters they did against us.
World beaters donā€™t normally surface in round 1.

Itā€™s pretty simple. Do something on the field that results in a concussion and you will be suspended.
Does that include kneeing someone in the back of the head while flying for a mark? That often results in concussion but for some reason that doesn't seem to bother the AFL or medicos. Maybe it causes a different kind of concussion. See how dumb such a rule is. Instead of making a blanket ruling each case should be assessed on its merits. If Maynard missed a premiership because of an attempted smother that would have been a disgraceful travesty as there was zero malice or intent to do anything other than smother.

Our sport is a collision sport. Of course you punish wild, reckless bumps and tackles or swinging arms. We have already made huge changes to the way players approach a ball in dispute and the application of the dangerous tackle rule.

Nobody has an issue with protecting the head. But the fabric of the game will be permanently altered if as you say, "do something on the field that results in concussion and you will be suspended."

Should McCarthy have been suspended for possibly ending Murphy's career? That was only 4 games ago.

It's really not that simple.

Mason Wood was concussed on Thursday. Zaine Cordy was the person that did something on the field that resulted in that concussion.
Your simplistic statement demands that Zaine Cordy is suspended. If it was Maynard instead of Cordy, you can bet there would be a lengthy suspension

However, the twist in this is that the AFL understand that Cordy would NEVER INTEND to do something on the field to concuss a team-mate. So, intent is really a major issue, and a problem for the AFL.

However, i think Wright is gone. He was late to the contest, and because he was late, he braced for contact and hit Wood's head.
Gone for 4 weeks, and available for the ANZAC day game.:(

Seriously? You're not disappointed we gave up a first round draft pick for him which could now potentially be top 5? I expected more from him given the hype.
He's probably been our third best forward behind Elliott & Mihocek.

Our pick likely being higher than we'd anticipated should mean we expect less from Schultz & co., as it means we're playing poorly.

He's probably been our third best forward behind Elliott & Mihocek.

Our pick likely being higher than we'd anticipated should mean we expect less from Schultz & co., as it means we're playing poorly.
Being third best forward in our current team is about as reliable an indicator of performance and ability as second best leader of the Victorian Liberal Party or best Republican presidential nominee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back