Oppo Camp Other Games Rolling Thread 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Enough to be confident I can support my views.
Well considering one of your views is that we have won as many flags since 2010 as Geelong, can you please regale us with which year, in addition to 2023, we saluted?

Do you live in an alternate reality where Mick actually did move Taz onto Hawkins after Pods busted his shoulder? Or are you in complete denial regarding the Sheed goal? Which is it?

Enough to be confident I can support my views.
Tells me little. Why not say?

For example I go every year to all MCG games, at least one at Marvel and occasionally to Adelaide. Have also been to games at Gabba and Sydney. (Assuming I get tickets for Kings B'day and Anzac Day)

VFL at Vic Park, Essendon, Preston and Coburg grounds and depending on weather Williamstown.

Well considering one of your views is that we have won as many flags since 2010 as Geelong, can you please regale us with which year, in addition to 2023, we saluted?

Do you live in an alternate reality where Mick actually did move Taz onto Hawkins after Pods busted his shoulder? Or are you in complete denial regarding the Sheed goal? Which is it?
Doc, seriously mate are you going this track again.
You know exactly what I meant. And notably as did everyone else.

This type of point scoring is beneath you.

Being third best forward in our current team is about as reliable an indicator of performance and ability as second best leader of the Victorian Liberal Party or best Republican presidential nominee.
Context is important. We are playing poor, reactive footy which makes it very hard for our forwards. He is working his backside off in a bad team which is being thumped each week so when we find form he will hit the scoreboard.

Last edited:
Tells me little. Why not say?

For example I go every year to all MCG games, at least one at Marvel and occasionally to Adelaide. Have also been to games at Gabba and Sydney. (Assuming I get tickets for Kings B'day and Anzac Day)

VFL at Vic Park, Essendon, Preston and Coburg grounds and depending on weather Williamstown.
Well done.
I think most of us here wish we had the time to match this commitment.

Last edited:
Context is important. We are playing poor. reactive footy which makes it very hard for our forwards. He is working his backside off in a bad team which is being thumped each week so when we find form he will hit the scoreboard.
The Hawks have hardly set the football world on fire too, but Ginni has performed well when others haven't. You'd almost have expected Schulz to have been unaffected by the premiership hangover of his teammates, and he hasn't done too badly. He has kicked goals, but it's the loss of a first round draft pick when we are so obviously undermanned in the tall player department that has attracted so much supporter scrutiny. Had we given up a second rounder only, I don't think his game would be under the microscope to anywhere near the same extent.

Also, there is probably a degree of supporter bitterness at the loss of Ginni. He had his faults, but in an age where players have become automatons rather than genuine people, though Ginni was frustrating at times, he was also a breath of fresh air.

The Hawks have hardly set the football world on fire too, but Ginni has performed well when others haven't. You'd almost have expected Schulz to have been unaffected by the premiership hangover of his teammates, and he hasn't done too badly. He has kicked goals, but it's the loss of a first round draft pick when we are so obviously undermanned in the tall player department that has attracted so much supporter scrutiny. Had we given up a second rounder only, I don't think his game would be under the microscope to anywhere near the same extent.

Also, there is probably a degree of supporter bitterness at the loss of Ginni. He had his faults, but in an age where players have become automatons rather than genuine people, though Ginni was frustrating at times, he was also a breath of fresh air.
I think the type of player Ginnivan is means that supporters (including opposition) will always be polarised by him.
As a player with a very high IQ and goal sense, supporters of the team he plays for will almost always be glass half-full, as he’s maybe only one possession away from kicking a goal.

His detractors, and perhaps coaches, may be more objective or circumspect in their assessments, as his athletic abilities and possibly his attitude may impinge on other facets of his game, such as his tackling and forward pressure.

Personally I liked seeing him play in our forward line, provided he wasn’t asked to contribute too much up the ground. That’s probably unrealistic or incompatible with the way AFL is played at the moment, so I wasn’t gutted to lose him, but was thankful for the contribution he made when we had him. The cult of personality stuff I never really understood and probably never will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ginni has real talent but it's clear the club had had enough of him. I have heard that Pendles had no time for him and Pendles generally loves everyone according to this source. I think he wasn't showing the level of commitment the boys demanded of him and everyone else. Fly barely hid his disapproval of his attendance at the races on the night before the GF. He looked exasperated even after we had just won a flag. He would have stayed had Schultz not been available but it seems Ginni has grabbed his second chance with both hands.

Schultz is a genuine match winner just as Billy Elliott has been. There will come a time when his value will be appreciated. We do seem to have less talls on our list than most teams. Some seem to have a production line of big men. However, our record in the past 15 years has been excellent with many finals appearances and a couple of GF's. Not bad for a small bunch without too many superstars. :)

Ginni has real talent but it's clear the club had had enough of him. I have heard that Pendles had no time for him and Pendles generally loves everyone according to this source. I think he wasn't showing the level of commitment the boys demanded of him and everyone else. Fly barely hid his disapproval of his attendance at the races on the night before the GF. He looked exasperated even after we had just won a flag. He would have stayed had Schultz not been available but it seems Ginni has grabbed his second chance with both hands.

Schultz is a genuine match winner just as Billy Elliott has been. There will come a time when his value will be appreciated. We do seem to have less talls on our list than most teams. Some seem to have a production line of big men. However, our record in the past 15 years has been excellent with many finals appearances and a couple of GF's. Not bad for a small bunch without too many superstars. :)
The real test for Hawthorn will be if Ginnivan stuffs up again. Maybe he has matured or realised the opportunity he has been given and will make the most of it.

The other factor in his favour at the moment is the fact that Hawthorn are in a rebuild and less likely to attract as much scrutiny as we typically do.

I'm pretty sure that Bruzzy got a free for shepherding and we held on for a glorious win.

The AFL’s a disgrace - you only have to look at the fixture to see where it thinks it can make the most money, or deliberately shape the fortunes of various teams.

No one in the media will dare call them out either, as they don’t wish to lose their precious accreditations.

I guess I'm pushing my luck asking for another Easter miracle today. Somehow this fixture makes an already boring day more boring each year. Give us something to celebrate Roos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back