Opinion Our coaches, leadership, game style, and everything else

Remove this Banner Ad

But the effort was there against the Eagles, on the weekend it was simply one team rising up (eagles) to one team on the way down (us)

Unable to play 4 quarters is the first sign of a mature team on the decline.

It happened to Geelong its happening to us and it will happen to Hawthorn soon.

How you go forward and rejuvenate the list is what makes a great club.

Surely with only a few players outside of their prime years we can't be blaming this on age?

You could probably do a "all of the above" but we cant play 4 quarters anymore as you can see we play in bursts.

We matched them for the half but the difference? they kicked 7.1 and we kicked 0.6

IMO we play in bursts because they are instructed to do so. It is a throw-back to the Roos years where we would just shut the game down after getting a desirable lead.
The difference then and now, is that we have a team that can easily keep scoring and scoring heavily if they were given free rein to do so.
The worst thing about it all is that very few sides (Hawks for one) could match us if we played a shoot-out style game plan.

IMO we play in bursts because they are instructed to do so. It is a throw-back to the Roos years where we would just shut the game down after getting a desirable lead.
The difference then and now, is that we have a team that can easily keep scoring and scoring heavily if they were given free rein to do so.
The worst thing about it all is that very few sides (Hawks for one) could match us if we played a shoot-out style game plan.

That being said not sure what "gameplan" would work with the current skill level out there.

I think its more the players are losing confidence as to what the message is.

That being said not sure what "gameplan" would work with the current skill level out there.

You'd have to wonder if they are thinking the same as the fans on here. Why the F are we playing this style when we have Buddy and Tippo?

Skill level often drops off when players no longer have confidence in the game plan.

We're definitely missing small crumbing forwards this year. Ideally I think McGlynn, Rohan and even Heeney play those roles in the same team. They haven't been able to stay on the park or play together much unfortunately.

Is anyone able to pass on a note to John Longmire?

All I ask is for a player to remain in F50, with Franklin to play HF/wing.

Then at least we'll never have to watch that ridiculous situation where we run off half back and have nothing to kick to, so we go sideways, fumble, turn it over, then concede.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What exactly is our game plan?

It may take a while to explain but we do have two that are used extensively but only two.

1. won't go through all the set ups because that is too hard to understand. Simply we get the ball out of the centre and get it into the forward line quickly to cause a quick scoring opportunity. If the centre clearance goes their way push back fast, turn ther ball over and run it out through HB and short kicking hitting up a lead in the forward 50. This one actually works but lately the opposition just block the flanks and the access to the centre corridor and force us wide.

2. Bomb the ball to the forwards even if they are not there and hope for the best. clog up the backline so we can't even get the ball out. This seldom works. It is the biggest reason we have only a 30% forward entry efficiency. It is also the reason the opposition can keep us hemmed into their forward 50. If the lower teams use the wall across the centre line we are in trouble.

That is about it. We don't have any strategies to combat opposition run and carry. We have no solution to the Hawk passing game because we play a zone defence. We need to play man on man against them. but unfortunately horse doesn't trust his backs to be able to do that. This year he might just be right but we would be better doing that than just getting slaughtered.

Is anyone able to pass on a note to John Longmire?

All I ask is for a player to remain in F50, with Franklin to play HF/wing.

Then at least we'll never have to watch that ridiculous situation where we run off half back and have nothing to kick to, so we go sideways, fumble, turn it over, then concede.

I would like to see three or four players around the centre and at least one forward. That means the opposition have to man up and we won't be kicking just to them on the way out, there will be a contest.

I would like to see three or four players around the centre and at least one forward. That means the opposition have to man up and we won't be kicking just to them on the way out, there will be a contest.
Spot on! Considering how badly our game plan has fallen over in the past two weeks, I'd be all for us having a shoot out with Adelaide just to see some attacking footy.

Past 4 weeks W/L and percentage (sorted by percentage):

1. Hawthorn, 4-0, 236.73%
2. West Coast, 4-0, 174.81%
3. St Kilda, 2-2, 135.42%
4. North Melbourne, 3-1, 126.77%
5. Richmond, 3-1, 119.25%
6. Western Bulldogs, 3-1, 115.14%
7. GWS, 3-1, 105.09%
8. Fremantle, 3-1, 103.4%

9. Port Adelaide, 2-2, 100.77%
10. Adelaide, 2-1, 97.65%
11. Geelong, 2-1, 97.35%
12. Gold Coast, 1-3, 92.97%
13. Collingwood, 0-4, 82.68%
14. Melbourne, 0-4, 74.83%
15. Sydney, 2-2, 71.2%
16. Essendon, 1-3, 68.69%
17. Brisbane, 0-4, 52.78%
18. Carlton, 0-4, 45.16%

Spot on! Considering how badly our game plan has fallen over in the past two weeks, I'd be all for us having a shoot out with Adelaide just to see some attacking footy.

I loathe the modern game because it is so defensive. We as a club are a bit to blame for this though. It was Roos that invented the modern defensive press. Won us a lot of games and at first we didn't score much. I like the way some clubs are opting to take the game on. We did that for a while last season but now we just shut down.

Stop the opposition scoring, LOL.

inorite.

It doesn't matter how good the defence is any more. We can't kick more than 20 points before the game is shot and the other guys go to sleep and let us kick some junk time stuff.

Lots of blame going on the coaches but when players have a set shot from a hard won inside 50 and repeatedly miss it doesn't help. Our skills have dropped off and that comes down to individual players. As a result we get turnovers aplenty and end up with all our players staying defensive side as they have no confidence that we can carry the ball forward. Horse is working with an U11 team who, regardless of any pressure, simply can't hit targets. No coach can win a game if their players are simply not up to it.

Lots of blame going on the coaches but when players have a set shot from a hard won inside 50 and repeatedly miss it doesn't help. Our skills have dropped off and that comes down to individual players. As a result we get turnovers aplenty and end up with all our players staying defensive side as they have no confidence that we can carry the ball forward. Horse is working with an U11 team who, regardless of any pressure, simply can't hit targets. No coach can win a game if their players are simply not up to it.

Vicious circle Bungee, started by Horse implementing the U11 game plan, players followed suit and brought their u11 skills.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back