Player Watch Pick #33 (2016) - Willem Drew

Remove this Banner Ad

Not at all.
Has a skillset Ollie doesn't, so will complement the CoCap when he returns.
Drew needs to play all 22 games plus any finals after that. He has shown more than enough to suggest he will could develop into a top midfielder with a number of strings in his bow and now we need to fast track his development.

Slightly different to the other 3 as their bodies may not handle too many games so they need to be managed.

Really impressed with what we saw this weekend. He's clearly stepping up to the level now. Has come from the clouds this year, bit like Dougal did a couple years back. Really felt that his performance this week was the first time he's stood up with his performance and said when Wines comes back you can't drop me.

Very happy to be proven wrong about Drew and hope he can finally become that big body Kennedy style mid that we've sought after for a while.

All things considered, his style is very similar to Ollie's. Lacks a bit of pace but makes up for it by knowing how to use his body. I do worry about how we fit both of them in the same team.

Not lacking pace at all. Saw him last night easily clearing chasing players and he looked like he wasn’t even trying.

From memory, when Port called his name, Macca19 had to run to the bathroom during the podcast?

Remember Macca was really deep into atley and was stoked in general with that draft.

Smart, tough, composed veteran of 2 AFL games.
Already feels like a super reliable, first 22 player.
Drew is a footballer! Understands the game, reads the play and is efficient inside and outside...rarely fumbles therefore isn't noticed as much when picking up possessions... as someone has previously mentioned, he will be a 40+ plus possession player very much in the mould of Rocky...we have unearthed a player that simply does the business....Is a 200+ gamer as a big bodied mid...

I see a bit of Rockliff in him. Covers the ground in a steady and very efficient way. Finds space and gets into good positions. Extracts the footy well from congestion. Makes good decisions. Executes well. Accumulates possessions unobtrusively.
Absolutely agree... just mentioned that myself before reading yours..

Drews speed is in his reaction time and first few steps, he is very quick over the first 10. Outside of that, he is slow, there is no denying of that. However he played it well last night just corralling players that were quicker than him and not letting his lack of speed get exposed. He's not Rockliff level slow, but he would be one of our slowest.

He snuck out to start on the wing at a few bounces, so we're continuing to develop his overall game.
Keep doing that, especially since Wines is coming back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of my crow “mates” asked if Drew was short for Andrew... I just said yes.

tumblr_ouagqyTV8V1v1frjoo1_250.gifv

I knew he played against men in 2018 and 2017 but Dwayne said he also played in 2016 for Koriot and they won the flag each year and he played in all 3 GF's in the Hampden League.

Not a bad pre AFL career, have 3 premiership medals in the kit bag from open age footy in a tough, strong, country Vic league.

Spot on boys..Will is from my Home club. He was super in all 3 flags. (we have won 5 on the trot now and broke Warrnambool's record under Grant Thomas for consecutive flags.)
Drewy has some footy lineage too. Ist cousin to Marty Gleeson at Essendon. His Uncle, Adrian Gleeson is a Carlton premiership player and a dead ringer (although a lot shorter).
We are rapt with his success because he is the most modest, polite and quietly spoken kid you'll ever meet. He was a tackling machine as a kid. A good story.

Spot on boys..Will is from my Home club. He was super in all 3 flags. (we have won 5 on the trot now and broke Warrnambool's record under Grant Thomas for consecutive flags.)
Drewy has some footy lineage too. Ist cousin to Marty Gleeson at Essendon. His Uncle, Adrian Gleeson is a Carlton premiership player and a dead ringer (although a lot shorter).
We are rapt with his success because he is the most modest, polite and quietly spoken kid you'll ever meet. He was a tackling machine as a kid. A good story.
Nice. Thanks for info.

Did you talk to him at all during 2018? His injury was so long a few people joked on here that he wasn't a real person, as nobody had sighted him, and if someone said they did, those people didn't believe them. If so, what was his mindset like about handling his injury?

Did you talk to him at all during 2018? His injury was so long a few people joked on here that he wasn't a real person, as nobody had sighted him, and if someone said they did, those people didn't believe them. If so, what was his mindset like about handling his injury?

Yes mate. He was really disappointed to be injured but just got on with as best as a 19yearold could.you wouldn’t have known. As I said he is a country boy of few words and just wanted to play footy. He loves the club and the coach. Many locals have Port as their second team now !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back