Strategy PICK 5 - WHO WOULD YOU PICK NOW? (Its done! Thread closed, pls post on the 'welcome' thread)

A weeks to go. Who would you pick now?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I understand the process of elimination and how they go about gathering the information they rely upon, but I just think that there is much more uncertainty from pick 4 onwards this year than there has been in the last few years. Last year quite a few of the experts got most of the top 10 right and in order. They were also quite confident in their selections but i'm not reading that same confidence this year. However, this is my gut feel based upon my reading of what's been said and body language.
I agree entirely about what you say about picks after the top 10 or so. I reckon that due to the eveness of candidates that so much will depend upon each recruiter's opinions/biases etc that we are going to get some really surprising and unpredictable results.

I guess I'm just very confident (even approaching certain) it'll be De Goey based on where the info's coming from, but that's just me. I'd look at Anderson and Paige,who to the best of my knowledge are close, and the latter is very close to a Chargers teammate of Jordan's...

What I'm not getting is the resistance to De Goey at this stage. How can you doubt it without the whole picture? In isolation he wouldn't be my first choice at 5, but I can certainly see why the club like him! At his size the only player with a more rounded game, IMO, is Petracca because De Goey does what he does (hits the scoreboard, wins it inside and out, spreads from the contest well and is good overhead), but is more consistent by foot. He just lacks the production and raw power (which may come as he adds size) of Petracca.

In isolation I would go for Laverde, but that is only if I was confident Blakely is there at 30 because I want a mix of in and out (not to mention De Goey provides both) with those 2 picks. If Collingwood are after the same thing and they have Cavka near the top 10, yet think he'll be there at 30, then he compliments De Goey perfectly, IMO. It's all about list balance for me with those first two picks.

FWIW it's now that I really ******* rue the decision to trade Varcoe in for Lumumba because there's every chance 23 would have given us access to Langford. Late teens to mid 20's is where you really want to be in this draft...

Last edited:

I guess I'm just very confident (even approaching certain) it'll be De Goey based on where the info's coming from, but that's just me. I'd look at Anderson and Paige,who to the best of my knowledge are close, and the latter is very close to a Chargers teammate of Jordan's...

What I'm not getting is the resistance to De Goey at this stage. How can you doubt it without the whole picture? In isolation he wouldn't be my first choice at 5, but I can certainly see why the club like him! At his size the only player with a more rounded game, IMO, is Petracca because De Goey does what he does (hits the scoreboard, wins it inside and out, spreads from the contest well and is good overhead), but is more consistent by foot. He just lacks the production of Petracca.

In isolation I would go for Laverde, but that is only if I was confident Blakely is there at 30 because I want a mix of in and out (not to mention De Goey provides both) with those 2 picks. If Collingwood are after the same thing and they have Cavka near the top 10, yet think he'll be there at 30, then he compliments De Goey perfectly, IMO. It's all about list balance for me with those first two picks.

FWIW it's now that I really ******* rue the decision to trade Varcoe in for Lumumba because there's every chance 23 would have given us access to Langford. Late teens to mid 20's is where you really want to be in this draft...

Agree with this (almost) entirely. And with the need for a mix of inside and outside, so if we go with De Goey at 5, I'd hope we get a talented outside type at 30.

With Varcoe vs pick 23 though, I don't think we could have afforded losing yet another senior best 22 player. It's great to have developing kids, but you have to have the right age profile in your list for this to happen as best as possible. If you play all your kids too early, some will lose confidence, some won't develop fully and your team balance is going to be wrong.

Kevin Sheahan says the next best player at pick 4 is Wright, behind (McCartin, Petracca and Brayshaw).
Hmm maybe GWS will be tempted :)
Gives us a chance at Pickett!!

S10 - my only regrets are similar to yours
i) Not sure why Greenwood trade couldn't have been sorted out before the Beams trade which took weeks - therefore we keep Pick 25
ii) Prefer pick 23 to Varcoe - but can understand the club wanting to bring in more establish / mature players
(but these are said behind the safety of my keyboard without understanding all the machinations of what went on)

End of season has a real "almost" feel to it
- Almost got what we wanted for Lumumba
- Almost got what we wanted for Beams (Aish / Pick 25)
- Almost got what we wanted for Beams - pick 4 / becomes pick 5, almost get Pickett
- Almost got what we wanted for pick 30 (will we miss Boekhurst(?) by 2 picks)

Anyway, coulda woulda shoulda - my last negative post. You get what you get.

Will support fully all players Pies bring in this off season and hope they all become champs.

Go Pies.

Agree with this (almost) entirely. And with the need for a mix of inside and outside, so if we go with De Goey at 5, I'd hope we get a talented outside type at 30.

With Varcoe vs pick 23 though, I don't think we could have afforded losing yet another senior best 22 player. It's great to have developing kids, but you have to have the right age profile in your list for this to happen as best as possible. If you play all your kids too early, some will lose confidence, some won't develop fully and your team balance is going to be wrong.

Yep - fair call on Varcoe

Kevin Sheahan says the next best player at pick 4 is Wright, behind (McCartin, Petracca and Brayshaw).

Don’t think Teams take 200cm+ In the top 10 anymore

GWS are into Pickett for a very specific reason and the only player they're passing on him for is Petracca. In other words Pickett only gets to us if:

1. McCartin
2. Brayshaw
3. Lever/ Wright
4. Petracca
5. Pickett

That's very long odds though.

I think the club has misread where we're at and one more kid v experience wasn't going to be the tipping point in 2015 and beyond, IMO. If Varcoe had any traits that would assist us in bringing the next wave through then I could cop it, but the move netted us nothing.

I've only watched highlight vids and read profiles of draftees, so I see how people might be underwhelmed by De Goey because he doesn't have an eye catching game style. But I would suggest the recently departed Dayne Beams falls in a similar category.

I'm not saying they're similar players, but both well rounded players.

Not sure why everyone is concerned about "losing" pick 23. We were never going to get it anyway. I'm positive I heard Josh Mahoney talking on SEN about it. They wanted to find a middle ground between pick 23 and pick 40. Pretty sure the conversation then turned to a player exchange.

I've only watched highlight vids and read profiles of draftees, so I see how people might be underwhelmed by De Goey because he doesn't have an eye catching game style. But I would suggest the recently departed Dayne Beams falls in a similar category.
I'm not saying they're similar players, but both well rounded players.

I thought exactly the same thing, but no one else, ('til now) mentioned a Beams comparison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought exactly the same thing, but no one else, ('til now) mentioned a Beams comparison.

I thought that same thing when I watched his Video’s Recently he did remind me a bit of Beams. Especially his long Goals his Kicked

Not sure why everyone is concerned about "losing" pick 23. We were never going to get it anyway. I'm positive I heard Josh Mahoney talking on SEN about it. They wanted to find a middle ground between pick 23 and pick 40. Pretty sure the conversation then turned to a player exchange.

That was on the first day or two of trade week. Offer them Lumumba and 48 for 23 and 53 late in the peice and things may change.

I guess I'm just one for the unknown (we appear to have an interest in Boekhorst for instance who has a similar game) over the guy that has proven himself to be OK at best in a good team, but it's anyone's guess as to how he'll go in a sub par team. Which we're likely to be next year...

That's enough from me though because there'll be plenty of opportunities to bemoan the move next year (despite my hope that I'm proven wrong)!

Thanks - Blakey be a Good Pick but it be hard to get Picks right that Late.

See he is sticking with De Goey to us and he seemed pretty sure in his Mock Draft

Yes, I think we will take De Goey with pick 5 unless GWS don't take Pickett.

Why do people on here read a phantom draft from media and believe we will get that player:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

They are guessing as far as we are concerned. Hine has not given anything away at all.

Just text my mate who is a scout for another club.

Not surprisingly he has no clue what we are doing. Although he did say we may be playing funny buggers after last years Bontempelli debacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back