What is your No 1 reason for Freos decline in 2023

• JL & Coaching

• Defense

• Midfield

• Forwards

• Players leaving

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

The major reasons are just personnel IMO. The loss of Mundy was huge, and Brayshaw has been a shadow of his former self this year. That made our midfield much worse.

We also lost Lobb who had the best year of his career for us last year. 2023 Lobb isn't really setting the world on fire but 2022 Lobb was close to our best player.

I think it’s a combination of a lot of things. Lack of experience, lack of intent, team selection, no game breakers, confidence. Also for mine brayshaw has been off this year, and he was a big part of what we achieved last year. The competition is so even, if you’re even slightly off you get exposed. Until we fix this forward line we’re going nowhere. For me it starts there. We have to work so hard for our goals.

It's generous to say we're slightly off. Andy could turn into prime Judd or Gaz and we'd still get flogged. We're genuine spoon quality at the moment.

If you are blaming the coaching and JL for Freo's decline in 2023, what did you put as the reason for their "rise" post Ross?
I think it's fair to say JL has a big hand in the 2022 success but he also has to cop the same portion for this year.

Unfortunately for him, the down of this year is much more severe than the up of last year. We are back to 2016 levels. I think we'd all be a bit flat if we were playing like a 9-12 team but we're miles off that and its depressing as ****.

The leadership group other than serong are having an absolute nightmare of a season. Between Pearce, Brayshaw, Young, O'Meara I don't think they've played a decent game between them this season. Throw in uninspiring coaching and the old adage a fish rots from the head seems relevant.

I would expect the next layer to be made up of Cox, Ryan as our AA AA squad level players. They too are underperforming. Skateboarding and talking shyte seem to be the priorities there

Can I select 3?

Brain-dead coaching.

Brain-dead trading.

Midfield both down on form individually (sans Serong) and impacted by both of the above.

You play the way you train. Who is in charge of that? That’s your answer.

Except that we trained in the offseason to play on quickly out of defence and that was how the games panned out in the interclub matches and even in the Port pre-season game and the first quarter against Adelaide. Come the real season and suddenly the players don't have the balls or the brains to execute.

One of the youngest lists in the competition that had some important experience cut and not adequately replaced.

At the same time, a lack of adjustment to a change in players in the b22 (i.e. no Acres and Lobb for the bail out kicks) and a failure to continue to evolve have meant that what should have been a middling year is now likely a disaster.

Add in a loss of form for players in key areas and one of the most inexperienced coaching panels in the league and you're set for a bottom 4 finish. Belly added the icing on the cake by ensuring we get nothing out of a dismal year, although Jackson will be worth his weight in gold in a few seasons.

Just a big old cluster* really (more than one reason, apologies).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we have been tricked in to thinking our list is in good shape because of recent years of rebuild.

Our midfield from 2021 looks vastly different today ... Mundy, Fyfe, Cerra, Acres & Tucker are no longer there.
Within two years we have gone from a reasonable midfield team which was winning more contests than we were losing to 2023 with 0 games of winning contested possession differentials.
Last year we got away with it because our game plan was transitioning to a running game. So young quicker players with less contested football skills gave us a glimpse of a new more free flowing game versus a slow defensive contested football style. AFL Tracker stats showed a strong correlation of our wins and running stats.

But I believe we have now lost too much of our contested possession football which is hurting us, leading to JL becoming too reactive and robbing our running game in an attempt to help with some damage control in our midfield.

While 2022 brought us comfort that we were out of our rebuild phase and possibly about to enter a window of repeat finals, and with few injuries in 2023, we thought we were about to have a good year. But in actual fact, after 6 rounds we are still fielding a young team with more in and out team changes than most teams. Our runners who made our game plan look so attractive in early 2022 have not been able to work cohesively in 2023. Freddie, Switta, Chappie, ODriscoll, Walters, Taberner have all had interruptions to 2023. And with Brodie and Brayshaw down a little on form, we are trying to fix our contested midfield issues with the likes of Aish, Hughes and pinch hitting with Switta and Shutlz.

In summary, I believe JL has gone from a senior coach with a laser like focus on building a list and running game plan to now reacting to the optics of 10 first quarter losses in a row and a midfield with troubles winning stoppages (even though we have quality ruck assets).
He may need to just forget about the opposition and take some big hits in order to give his 2022 running game another chance.

I called it way back in 2019!! Do not make it the Freo’s boys club!! Hire the right people with the right credentials.

What I got back was “leave him alone he is an icon of the club, he kicked the goal after the siren” “he loves freo” “bell and Jlo love freo”

We got a CEO who is dusting off his resume looking for a job at AFL house, control freak Bell undermining everything (possibly leaking info to WA media to help his narrative)…you will notice the South Freo boys club in the media will never say anything bad about him and finally a coach who isn’t up to it/unable to change game.

Most concerning is the fact that we have spent future draft picks to get a squad like this.

I don't care how much these guys "love the club", loving the club isn't enough to bring success, I want people who can bring hime flags, I couldn't care less where they're brought in from.

If you are blaming the coaching and JL for Freo's decline in 2023, what did you put as the reason for their "rise" post Ross?
Fresh approach always gives people hope and therefore buy-in but this is temporary.

The good news from our loss to the Bulldogs is the pressure which is now being applied to the coaching group.

The boys are just not tough enough at winning ground balls. Phil Walsh threatened the Adelaide playing group with a jump off the jetty if they lost the ground balls. Well, I am proposing JLo threaten the boys with a jump off the Matagarup bridge if they lose the ground ball contest this weekend.

Our club is run by delinquents or tier 3 operators. It is overthrow the board time.

We play too safe.

We are top 3 for disposal efficiency and have the least clangers of any team. Seems great on paper, but if we look at the ladder leaders they are bottom 3 in disposal efficiency and are in the top for number of clangers. When people talk about having the flair coached out of us, this is what I believe they mean. Our players are so worried about finding the safest, most likely to succeed option which results in a lot of passing backwards and sideways. The top teams just get the ball forward and back themselves to defend any turnovers.

Agree with most things raised in this podcast about the issues currently facing the dockers. Skip until the 12 minute mark

Last edited:
Quite simply:

• Coaching: Head, Assistant and Development Coaches.
  • List Management: specifically losing Acres and Logue.
  • Natural Causes: Mundy retiring.
  • Captaincy error: Selecting Pearce instead of backing in Serong and/or Brayshaw
  • Cumulative errors: Terrible trading stretching back to Jack Anthony, leaking good over East (more than what's naturally acceptable l) and poor drafting in critical areas (KPF's).

I think it’s a combination of a lot of things. Lack of experience, lack of intent, team selection, no game breakers, confidence. Also for mine brayshaw has been off this year, and he was a big part of what we achieved last year. The competition is so even, if you’re even slightly off you get exposed. Until we fix this forward line we’re going nowhere. For me it starts there. We have to work so hard for our goals.
brayshaw and brodie are massively down on form, serong has lifted in the absence of mundy but he cant do it all

Back