2nds Port Adelaide vs WWT Eagles - Round 5 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Re the waning interest in the Maggies, I personally know of 3 Alberton regulars who haven't been to a game this season, and another ( who attended yesterday ) who ( understandably ) is losing interest due to the snafl sanctions.
I also saw at least 5 former players in the members area just before the game started, and only one was still there when it finished.
I had a beer with Nick of REH fame for about 30 mins straight after the game , and I doubt there were any more than 20 people in the presentation area, and 3 or 4 of them were wearing eagle's gear.

Getting back to the game, how 2 teams could serve up that crap on a perfect day for footy still baffles me.
Whether Buddha was outcoached is difficult to say, McGodden ( edited for accuracy :$ ) used the ultra flood particularly in the 2nd term when the Maggies had the scoring ( bowling green ) end, and for large parts of the qtr there wasn't a single player within 80-90 metres of the eagle's goal.
The Maggie's coach didn't reciprocate in the 3rd term, and it could probably be argued that cost us any chance of a win.

I believe it also needs to be taken into account there are a number of big mature bodies missing from last year's line up, eg Bruggeman, Haren, Heath and the ex wet toast bloke ( whose name I can't recall ), unfortunately now, too many of our younger players are just being brushed aside by the 24-26 year olds in the opposition.

Last edited:
Always enjoy reading your insights 1954 but doesn't McGregor coach North and Godden coach the Eagles? Mind you I had to Google to be sure, a reflection of my waning interest in $anfl perhaps. ;)

Port in the $anfl is better balanced than last year's side particularly with tall KPPs and a genuine ruck (and a couple still to come in which will be interesting in terms of positional placements) but they are all so young and inexperienced. Even the more senior players like Paul Stewart haven't played a lot of $anfl footy. The Norwood game showed just how easily they are brushed aside by more experienced senior bodies especially in tough conditions. It sounds like the Eagles did more of the same.

In response the Power reserves resort to keepings off football where no ground is made and when the inevitable turnover occurs get punished on the turnover.

And to be perfectly honest watching the Norwood game it looked like the players turned it up late in the game because they knew they weren't going to get a result. That sounds harsh I know and it may be off the mark but if walks like a duck, talks like a duck ...

Others along with me have posted that whilst this team has all the iconic Port Adelaide regalia, home ground Alberton, black and white prison bar guernsey, Magpie emblem, it is the Power reserves and plays with its allegiance to the AFL side. Judging by comments about turnouts to games and post-match presentations, others are thinking the same way. Port in the $anfl exists to keep players in match-ready condition for the Power.

The $anfl has certainly hobbled the side but the old saying of be careful what you wish for, you might get it applies here. While we have to play AFL listed players in the league side we weren't slow to move players on from other $anfl clubs if they were playing reserves. So we can hardly do the same even if we were allowed to.

I will have to blame the bloke who sits alongside me at Alberton for the McGregor / Godden stuff up Ford, and to paraphrase Timmy G from that podcast a few weeks ago, he shall remain anonymous, but his initials are Creighton Smythe the 3rd. ;)

Always enjoy reading your insights 1954 but doesn't McGregor coach North and Godden coach the Eagles? Mind you I had to Google to be sure, a reflection of my waning interest in $anfl perhaps. ;)

Port in the $anfl is better balanced than last year's side particularly with tall KPPs and a genuine ruck (and a couple still to come in which will be interesting in terms of positional placements) but they are all so young and inexperienced. Even the more senior players like Paul Stewart haven't played a lot of $anfl footy. The Norwood game showed just how easily they are brushed aside by more experienced senior bodies especially in tough conditions. It sounds like the Eagles did more of the same.

In response the Power reserves resort to keepings off football where no ground is made and when the inevitable turnover occurs get punished on the turnover.

And to be perfectly honest watching the Norwood game it looked like the players turned it up late in the game because they knew they weren't going to get a result. That sounds harsh I know and it may be off the mark but if walks like a duck, talks like a duck ...

Others along with me have posted that whilst this team has all the iconic Port Adelaide regalia, home ground Alberton, black and white prison bar guernsey, Magpie emblem, it is the Power reserves and plays with its allegiance to the AFL side. Judging by comments about turnouts to games and post-match presentations, others are thinking the same way. Port in the $anfl exists to keep players in match-ready condition for the Power.

The $anfl has certainly hobbled the side but the old saying of be careful what you wish for, you might get it applies here. While we have to play AFL listed players in the league side we weren't slow to move players on from other $anfl clubs if they were playing reserves. So we can hardly do the same even if we were allowed to.

Look, nicknames schmicknames. They are Port Adelaide players, every single one of them. I read and heard all the garbage from Port supporters practically promising to support the 'Magpies' now that all the 'Power' players were playing together but what have they done instead is renege and declare that they don't care if this team made up of Port players lose games. Honestly, what nonsense is it to want a team of the afl Port paid players representing the club to lose matches against the death wrath of the sanfl clubs and worse still mock those supporters that do care about it?? What absolute nonsense.

The restrictive rules on our club is hurting the hopes of those supporters that did or do pay a membership and commit their time to support the sanfl sides of our club. If there is no success soon it will just erode its significance but the club does not want this to happen, the sanfl do. Who do you (plural) take a stance with? is it the sanfl's mission or the club's mission?

Look, nicknames schmicknames. They are Port Adelaide players, every single one of them. I read and heard all the garbage from Port supporters practically promising to support the 'Magpies' now that all the 'Power' players were playing together but what have they done instead is renege and declare that they don't care if this team made up of Port players lose games. Honestly, what nonsense is it to want a team of the afl Port paid players representing the club to lose matches against the death wrath of the sanfl clubs and worse still mock those supporters that do care about it?? What absolute nonsense.

The restrictive rules on our club is hurting the hopes of those supporters that did or do pay a membership and commit their time to support the sanfl sides of our club. If there is no success soon it will just erode its significance but the club does not want this to happen, the sanfl do. Who do you (plural) take a stance with? is it the sanfl's mission or the club's mission?

The Port I grew up supporting had one goal, to win $anfl premierships, more than its fair share. It existed to win premierships. And it succeeded admirably. That was its one focus.

Port Adelaide is now in the AFL and its aim is to win as many AFL premierships as it can, it exists to win premierships, and we want it to succeed admirably. Port Adelaide in the $anfl is simply a by-product of the club's AFL ambitions. It is there to ensure the AFL team has a ready supply of players fit and capable of playing AFL. If they win a $anfl premiership that's a happy by-product. But it is no longer their singular aim.

The $anfl has contributed to the weakening of the $anfl side through its restrictions but it still cannot possibly be the strongest side in the $anfl as it once was. It's a sad reality.

We know they are all Port players. Nobody wants them to lose, I want them to win every game they play but I can understand when they don't.

I will have to blame the bloke who sits alongside me at Alberton for the McGregor / Godden stuff up Ford, and to paraphrase Timmy G from that podcast a few weeks ago, he shall remain anonymous, but his initials are Creighton Smythe the 3rd. ;)

The bastard! :D

The Port I grew up supporting had one goal, to win $anfl premierships, more than its fair share. It existed to win premierships. And it succeeded admirably. That was its one focus.

Port Adelaide is now in the AFL and its aim is to win as many AFL premierships as it can, it exists to win premierships, and we want it to succeed admirably. Port Adelaide in the $anfl is simply a by-product of the club's AFL ambitions. It is there to ensure the AFL team has a ready supply of players fit and capable of playing AFL. If they win a $anfl premiership that's a happy by-product. But it is no longer their singular aim.

The $anfl has contributed to the weakening of the $anfl side through its restrictions but it still cannot possibly be the strongest side in the $anfl as it once was. It's a sad reality.

We know they are all Port players. Nobody wants them to lose, I want them to win every game they play but I can understand when they don't.

I agree. It is just that supporters, some, feel the need to dethrone the sanfl interest as if they feel the need to prove to everybody they are some kind of elitist Port supporter or something. It is just totally unnecessary. We need Alberton home games we need revenue, we need activity at Alberton, and so we don't need our own supporters spreading a poor reflection of the sanfl purpose to give supporters a feeling they don't need to attend Alberton.

Winning an sanfl flag is not only a 'happy by-product'. The club want these young players to experience grand finals as part of the development process.

I agree. It is just that supporters, some, feel the need to dethrone the sanfl interest as if they feel the need to prove to everybody they are some kind of elitist Port supporter or something. It is just totally unnecessary. We need Alberton home games we need revenue, we need activity at Alberton, and so we don't need our own supporters spreading a poor reflection of the sanfl purpose to give supporters a feeling they don't need to attend Alberton.

Winning an sanfl flag is not only a 'happy by-product'. The club want these young players to experience grand finals as part of the development process.

Yep, no doubt winning finals especially the big one is great preparation for the next step up as well as being the ultimate thrill.

As I posted earlier the Magpies side looks better balanced than last year but it is so young and inexperienced and that shows against the more hardened sanfl teams.

exaxtly, the im too good for this rubbish park / amatuer / irrelevant league people are exactly the same as the crows lite aragont elitist types.
surely if we are winning at the lower level it means more players are playing better and more are pushing through and challanging for a spot in the big league. take yesterdays lame performance, not many can take anything out of it, it was poor all round. but take the south game where we won and played well, several players put there hand up, and a few from that game have played well at afl level. winning is everything, at all levels.

Hopefully we see some free flowing footy against Sturt next week.

I know the players development is important but if they play a great brand of footy and never give up then i'm happy.

At the end of the day you measure development by success. If being competitive is all that matters I'm sure the sanfl rules have put it in place where even that is going to test our club in the long run.

We faded badly in the 2nd 1/2 coz at 1/2 time I thought we would go on and win.
They were what, goaless in the 2nd 1/4. We definitely put in the effort but got done/restricted by
Roos like tactics and more mature bodies. The crowd #'s weren't great especially as there were a couple of hundred Eagles fans there.
I like going to Alberton for the social aspect as much as the footy. Meeting fellow BF posters and strangers on the train it all adds up to a great day
Getting amongst the cheer squad and mouthing off at the umps as well as yelling encouragment to our players is all good therapy.
If that makes me a bit weird for my age so be it. I sometimes wonder if I'm beyond counselling and then snap out of such reflection
saying to myself "f**k it I am what I am.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robbie Young is playing great footy in these early season games.
I hope he keeps it up and gets picked up next year as a rookie somewhere.
He has all the components of a potential AFL level player and if he wants it, he should grab it with both hands.

We need to treat this kid very well. Don't want GWS getting their hands on him

Dougal Howard caught my eye pre-season before getting injured. Got high hopes there as well.
Haven't seen enough of Jesse Palmer yet but definitely watching with interest.
In my dreams I see 2 of these late picks going from coal to diamonds.
Anyone got an update on Big Red and how's Billy Frampton progressing.
Go the Maggies-your not what you once were but then again neither am I.
Things change and not always for the better but I love ya just the same

Remove this Banner Ad

Back