Opinion Port's recruiting in recent years

Remove this Banner Ad

wow, big effort being an AFL player and dealing with that then, did we know that going in?

Watching the ANZAC game yesterday i got annoyed about how we missed the chance to draft Melkshem

I don't really like Melksham tbh.

Tapscott, Gysberts, Fyfe, Bastinac. List goes on. All those picks were after both Moore and Melksham.

I would like them all of them bar gysberts over Melksham too

But that wasn't the question, Moore or Melksham?

Melksham has played 50 games and I have yet to see anything that says he will become anything more than an average player. Moore has not yet been able to get a genuine run in the team whether thats due to form/injury. I will say that I am glad we don't have Melksham, and I would rather hold on to saying I'd take Moore provided he can get his body right and have a genuine run in the side.

Re: Power SANFL - Round 5

the 22-->26 year olds he was competing against, and playing with, played as a team and helped the rookie play well by doing so. We had guys like Lyle and Wilson and Kingsley and Wangas and Pooley and David Brown that were happy to cop a knock to get the ball forward, without being the guy looking like a star doing it.

Edit: Also, Nick's drafting was distorted by the 17 year old rule in place at the time - eg. Collingwood probably would've drafted him instead of James Wasley (Nick was heavily linked with them pre-draft), if they hadn't already picked up Chris Tarrant as their 17 year old in the first round. In hindsight, it was an interesting rule in that non-bottom teams could get good value later in the draft (like we could've done if we'd picked Pavlich instead of Adam Morgan in 98)

Whatever the rules and whatever the structure of our squad was back in 1998, like Nick Stevens ( who even with an adjusted draft would have gone around pick 20) we have to recruit more 2nd and 3rd rounds and even 1st rounds who a) aren't injury prone either injured when we select them or in their first preseason, b) alreadyhave an AFL body or near AFL body, not spend 2 to 3 years in the gym to get close, c) play A grade SANFL from Rd 1 of their first year and d) burn it up in the SANFL, are never going to play in the B's, (unless coming back from a long term injury) and after 3 or 4 SANFL games are pushing hard for selection in our AFL team.

Sure ruckman and KPP's need more time, but we should be recruiting more Nick Stevens types into our mid field/flanker group for those picks between 20 and 50.

I want their SANFL coaches to say, good luck we wont be seeing you again, very early in their career!!

Whatever the rules and whatever the structure of our squad was back in 1998, like Nick Stevens ( who even with an adjusted draft would have gone around pick 20) we have to recruit more 2nd and 3rd rounds and even 1st rounds who a) aren't injury prone either injured when we select them or in their first preseason, b) alreadyhave an AFL body or near AFL body, not spend 2 to 3 years in the gym to get close, c) play A grade SANFL from Rd 1 of their first year and d) burn it up in the SANFL, are never going to play in the B's, (unless coming back from a long term injury) and after 3 or 4 SANFL games are pushing hard for selection in our AFL team.

Sure ruckman and KPP's need more time, but we should be recruiting more Nick Stevens types into our mid field/flanker group for those picks between 20 and 50.

I want their SANFL coaches to say, good luck we wont be seeing you again, very early in their career!!

Too easy and too simplistic REH.

If that is the case we would be having even more arguments over trying to fit 40 players into 22 instead of about 28. It's the nature of the beast - it's not scientific, it's subjective to the stats and what the eye can see. You can't forsee injury, mental weaknesses and inability to adapt and lift to higher levels.

Melksham is lazy and average. Not what we need at all.

RussellEbertHandball said:
We seriously need to recruit a few more Nick Stevens'.

He was pick #25, ie a second rounder, a mid fielder who had an AFL body when we drafted him, wasn't carrying an injury, we didn't have to nurse him thru an injury for a season or two, he played 5 games at SANFL A grade level, from Rd 1, where he dominated, and Westies coach at the time Michael Taylor, said goodbye we wont see you again you are too good for the SANFL. Stevens never played a SANFL game again after he made his debut.

The only games he missed were, 7 due to 3 lots of suspensions and 2 for a knee injury in 2003. Every Time he came back to the AFL straight away and didn't go thru the SANFL.

I wish we drafted one or two kids like this every year.

Cameron O'Shea? ;)

Too easy and too simplistic REH.

If that is the case we would be having even more arguments over trying to fit 40 players into 22 instead of about 28. It's the nature of the beast - it's not scientific, it's subjective to the stats and what the eye can see. You can't forsee injury, mental weaknesses and inability to adapt and lift to higher levels.

I said I want one or two players drafted like this each year in my first post and clarified that slightly by saying mid fielder / flankers type in my second because I know ruckman and KPP's take longer and you wont get this situation too often with the big guys.

We get rid of 6 players a year on average, so we are not going to have 40 of these players on your list every year who dominate at the SANFL early in their career.

And I'd rather have 22 players in the AFL, 1 travelling player, 3 or 4 injuries and 18 or so primary and rookie listed players dominating in the SANFL rather than the crap situation we are in now with so many blokes playing in the B grade in the SANFL and a lot playing A grade not doing much.

Whatever the rules and whatever the structure of our squad was back in 1998, like Nick Stevens ( who even with an adjusted draft would have gone around pick 20)
I'm not sure about that but its not the point.

we have to recruit more 2nd and 3rd rounds and even 1st rounds who a) aren't injury prone either injured when we select them or in their first preseason
No John Butcher, no Jackson Trengove, and avoiding injury is why we have Boak instead of Selwood. But yes, I generally agree...unless the player was #1 for posiiton in his year before the injury, then using any good pick on such players is too speculative for the first two rounds.

b) alreadyhave an AFL body or near AFL body
I tend to agree with this one

c) play A grade SANFL from Rd 1 of their first year and d) burn it up in the SANFL, are never going to play in the B's, (unless coming back from a long term injury) and after 3 or 4 SANFL games are pushing hard for selection in our AFL team.
This is hard to predict, and harder to cause to occur given the `independence' of SANFL selectors. Even Nick started in Westies reserves.

That would be nice, but you won't get that regularly, even if we are suddenly the best drafters in the league.

That 2004 draft was a nightmare. What did Chris McDermott call it, Alan Stewart's parting gift to Port Adelaide.

I think a steaming s**t sandwich in a brown paper bag set on fire in front of Chocolate's office would have been a nicer gift.

Wasn't this supposed to be Ben Jacobs? Until he got the Glange he was definitely considered AFL ready and could rack up the possies in the middle. So chances are if we did draft another player like that we will stick him in the backline......

You are right that he had a history of racking up possies, you are wrong that it was in the midfield. Hes always been a back flanker/"quarterback", not a midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tapscott, Gysberts, Fyfe, Bastinac. List goes on. All those picks were after both Moore and Melksham.

Seeing those names I feel ill
Fyfe....ohhhhh

Does anyone actually think we will ever see Moore play an AFL game (as in where he forced his way into the side- demanding selection on his SANFL performances?)

Anyone know when his contract is up for renewal, and whether we would extend or maybe rookie?

+36

Seeing those names I feel ill
Fyfe....ohhhhh

Does anyone actually think we will ever see Moore play an AFL game (as in where he forced his way into the side- demanding selection on his SANFL performances?)

Anyone know when his contract is up for renewal, and whether we would extend or maybe rookie?

+36

Yup I reckon we will see him within 6 weeks having earned a chance in the 22.
Didn't Moorey re-sign last year? 2 years I reckon.

Moore may evolve not to be good enough, but that's a decision that can't be decided YET.

He's only young had injury issues and too often as supporters we call for the chop on these boys way to early. The seduction of seeking mature aged rookies highlights this.

I Pittard, Moore, Jacobs, Trengove, Butcha, O'Shea ect should really be assessed from 2013 onwards, their bodies should be strong enough and if not in the league team expectations of dominant SANFL games should be expected. Trengove has already proved his point :)

REH I agree with your general thoughts on drafting 'ready' players... My only query/concern is: would they be ready to handle current day football, the gut running , spreading, offensive and defensive aspects of the game today??? IMO very few draftees are ready for this. For most it takes 2-3 seasons to build their bodied to perform consistently.

I think even Stevens would struggle as a draftee in todays AFL... He would be something like a Hartlett.

With another pathetic effort today - this is the sort of la we should be picking this year:

JAKE Stringer could be the answer for AFL clubs looking for a power forward to rebuild their sides around after kicking 10.7 in his return TAC Cup match yesterday.

In his first full match for Bendigo, the 191cm, 91kg target monstered the Northern Knights, with Pioneers region manager Ray Byrne adamant Stringer could have easily kicked 14-15 goals.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/ben...budding-afl-star/story-e6frf9io-1226341933066

Remove this Banner Ad

Back