Review Positives and Negatives vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives:
+ Got punched in the mouth and wrestled it back. Obviously hugely disappointing that we didn't hold on, but with no NN I think we did ourselves proud for long stretches
+ Kennedy has the Coleman wrapped with 4 today
+ Still in control of top 2, up 2 points on the Hawks with Freo, Adelaide, Bulldogs and Saints to come
+ Hutch and Lycett were immense, good on them for taking their opportunity

Negatives:
- Too fumbly, too many brain fades, not clean enough
- Didn't capitalise when we can, two misses in particular really hurt us
- Gov injury, LeCras will cop weeks
- A win would have been massive and sealed top 2, no chance to rest now

There were probably more of each but not in the mood right now. On to the next.

Positives : we did throw the kitchen sink at them,

Im now starting to believe we deserve to be in the top 4 have beaten Swans - Richmond and a 14 point loss to the Hawks

Negatives : Mcginnity Hutchings Priddis, Just cannot be in the side at the same time

Positives : we did throw the kitchen sink at them,

Im now starting to believe we deserve to be in the top 4 have beaten Swans - Richmond and a 14 point loss to the Hawks

Negatives : Mcginnity Hutchings Priddis, Just cannot be in the side at the same time

I get what you are saying, but neither of the other two are anywhere near the level of Pridda. The other two wouldn't be in the team if we had a couple of other fit players.

I get what you are saying, but neither of the other two are anywhere near the level of Pridda. The other two wouldn't be in the team if we had a couple of other fit players.
Yeah for sure Priddis is vital in our team, The other two not so much

Hawthorn were the better team after quarter time.

We're still one gun inside mid short.

+ Gaff, Shuey and unlikely contributers in Lycett(!) and Hutchings(!). Kennedy finally kicking 4 despite being mauled all game
- LeCras/McGovern , 3rd quarter , 3x posters , umpiring , outs :(

Shame our % is now irrelevant thanks to last week :( (so even if we lost by less than I expected , it means absolutely nothing )

The boys will be better for it.

We're so young and inexperienced in BIG games.

We're still learning about ourselves.

With Naitanui and Sinclair out I though we'd get smashed. Was so proud of the boys effort and really feel we can go all the way.

We can match it with the best.

At the end of the day we are still a little short on talent, which speaks volumes for our system.
That was the big positive for me. The system stood up. Individual talent did us in the end. Nic makes up for that somewhat with the extra clearances and subsequent forward entries we gain in total.
I still think we can improve and learn from that. You can't have Hawks players waltzing through three tackles and I can see some positioning to work on the next time we meet.
There is however a small talent deficit. I hate saying it, but no Nic to cover that means we'd be unlikely to beat them on the MCG.
Put simply, he has to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hutching's attack on the footy in his first two contacts of game was very very good went hard and straight at the footy.
Set his night up.
Sheppard was clean and hard where others wheren't

Negatives

Shannon Hurn seems to be in poor form, and is not providing any rebound.

So frustrating. Got a bit fumbly towards the end which didn't help. But honestly, there were probably only a few real crucial moments which cost us. if Ginners slots that goal, we're 4 up instead of only 2. Bit later on Lecras had a free and kicked backwards to Schofield who then does a poor handpass resulting in a turnover goal. With not long to go Kennedy has a perfect moment to intercept mark and completely open up our forward 50 and he drops it and I think they went down to goal.

We weren't outplayed at all. But a few crucial mistake when the pressure was on cost us the game.

Positive: even with so many best 22 missing, and our young guns Sheed and Yeo under-performing, we could still challenge for most of the game. Bodes well for the future, reflects good progress in our current structures. It's a coaching miracle that a midfield with so many spuds could ever conceivably get close to beating the hawks.

There's enough hyperbole in the negatives provided by some of the gloomier folk around here already, anything I add would be a drop in the ocean

Positive: even with so many best 22 missing, and our young guns Sheed and Yeo under-performing, we could still challenge for most of the game. Bodes well for the future, reflects good progress in our current structures. It's a coaching miracle that a midfield with so many spuds could ever conceivably get close to beating the hawks.

There's enough hyperbole in the negatives provided by some of the gloomier folk around here already, anything I add would be a drop in the ocean
Totally agree. I think we've shown several times this year that if we execute our gameplan well our actual personnel doesn't matter quite so much. Goes to show our current coaching is doing a fantastic job. Now obviously to beat the best of the best we still need to get some better players on the park, but our gameplan is solid.

We are just running out of cattle. A bit like Freo last year.

JJK looked more interested than he has for a couple of weeks. Solid game from him despite the limited touches.
Lycett was very serviceable but no jump and looked down on core strength. Hopefully he is 100% for next year and has some hunger in his belly.

The biggest negative is our poor kicking under pressure. Loopy **** that just comes straight back out. It really makes it hard for our forwards against the quality sides that they really need some advantage from the delivery to work with.

Hawthorn deserves a lot of credit for this but we just didn't run the ball enough tonight given the conditions.

The boys will be better for it.

We're so young and inexperienced in BIG games.

We're still learning about ourselves.

With Naitanui and Sinclair out I though we'd get smashed. Was so proud of the boys effort and really feel we can go all the way.

We can match it with the best.
Brilliant post sir.

You also have to remember we were cooked during last weeks game, we looked lethargic.

Let alone travelling back on the longest away trip it is no wonder we lacked the legs to go with Hawthorn in the final quarter.

Positives:
Took it right to the best team of the last 3-4 years, without key players, the boys did us proud.
Showed tonight that we do belong in the top 4, might've won with our best 22.
Home final guaranteed one way or another.
Hutchings was good
Lycett, more of that please. 4th highest disposal getter for us too. Held his own in the ruck very, very well.
Shepperd keeps getting better, has some of the cleanest hands in the team.
Gaff again, guy is a machine.

Negatives:
Our tackles didn't stick & Hawthorn constantly got the arms free, whereas we were full on pinned down when we got tackled.
Hawthorn are the biggest protected species in the AFL. campaigners.
Darling and JK are constantly mugged in marking contests.
Yeo was unsighted.
McGovern didn't look comfortable for most of the night.
Cyril Rioli, Paul Puopolo & Brad Hill, I hate all 3 of the campaigners with a passion.
We lost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back