Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Screenshot_20230702_204200_AFL.jpg

Oh My God Wow GIF by reactionseditor

Maric is a very smart footballer, he reads the play so very well, its not coincidence that he finds himself in the right place at the right time.

Get a full pre season into him and I think that alone , lifts him another notch immediately.

Has s sold ground game and applies good pressure, I think we have found a player that could be a long term asset to the Club.
Can't believe he got dropped, glad he played and showed what he can do.

Also on Jack Williams game, his stats line (8 disp, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 4 HO & 1.1) wasn’t at all dissimilar to Jack Darling (6 disp, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 2 HO & 1.1).

For mine that makes a mockery of Simpson’s call earlier in the year that he wouldn’t drop Darling despite poor output when you have a much younger player busting for an opportunity at WAFL level. Know Williams had the spleen issue in the early part of the season but it was more the principle of what Simpson was saying that irked me.

Take out Marics game where this joke of a club failed to turn up and he got flogged by 170 points...

And he's kicked 4 goals from 2 games, not look out of place in either, and contributed whilst coming off no AFL pre season as a bargain basement selection.

Ironically he's clunked the same amount of contested grabs in the last 3 weeks as Darling has (3).

At this point I'd not only be playing him for the remainder of the year, but starting him ahead of Waterman in 2024. He's very exciting IMO. Still 18. So much development yet to come.

Just got to say Jack Williams was Very good pinch hitting i50 ruck contests. Much better then darling has ever been, was very impressed with it.
The relief ruckman ability is part of his game/skill set.

He is considerably bigger (taller) than Darling.

I think he has shown a fair bit in his eighteen months with the club.
Was a shining light with the miserable Beagles last season as a raw recruit.
Seems to have a good footy brain and has got fitter.
Certainly some potential there as a ruckman forward or forward ruckman.
Has been held back by injury. He seemed to be hurt late in the game, hopefully he’s okay.

So happy for the young guys, when you've got senior bodies around you doing the hard stuff it gives them confidence. We saw what they can do.
The thing that really excites me about today is it is the first game in the rebuild where the kids lead the way in a game. That's always the turning point from outright decline of the previous team, to when the development begins.

The thing that really excites me about today is it is the first game in the rebuild where the kids lead the way in a game. That's always the turning point from outright decline of the previous team, to when the development begins.
I looked at my mate half way through the second quarter and said "we're baaack ". All our kids had moments.Funny how the kids can shine in an environment where the whole team is hitting hard.
The worst bit was barracking for SK. We just cant afford to lose "him".Sorry folks.Imagine Reid with Ginbey and Hewitt. OOOoooH!!

The only real disappointment out of today was that it took so long for the players to bring that level of effort and actually sustain it for the best part of a full game (I know we got overrun in the 2nd half but imo the effort was still there but it was on tired legs)

Given the (lack of) personnel I thought it was our best performance of the year with plenty of positives to take away

In the podcast I said we needed our senior leaders to stand up and set the example for the younger guys to follow -
• Shuey was outstanding and set the tone with 8 first quarter tackles. Two breakaway centre clearances from great ruck knocks (one from each Willy) wound back the clock. Never gave up all game
• Hurn is a bloody legend and his calmness down back helped set up that half time lead. I’m going to miss his full blooded charges onto a loose ball against the flow
• Barrass had a great battle with King and took the honours holding him to one goal (from a ruck contest). Also made some great desperate spoils
• Cripps had a very good return game from a long layoff and showed the young guys the work rate required at this level. Would have been nice if he hit that last shot but he rushed it due to circumstances and tired legs couldn’t get it done
• Duggan in his 150th had some good moments of physicality
• Gaff wouldn’t be in our best 10 and Hill exposed his lack of pace a few times in that pivotal 3rd quarter but there were plenty of times he put his body on the line. He wasn’t giving up on any chases either even if it was obvious he wasn’t going to make up the ground. Far better intent from him this week

But the real positives from today was the younger group who showed what they’re capable of with a bit of guidance-
• Bailey Williams had a great contest with Marshall who I rate as a very good ruckman. Bailey shaded him in hitouts and follow up work around the contest but Marshall’s marking around the ground was a big factor and probably earned him a points decision. Bailey did kick a nice long range goal
• Hewett has the tools to be a dominant force in a few years time. That goal in the third was pure sex due to the power and speed he hit the contest at. Did some really nice things and in time he’ll be doing those 20 times a game instead of 10. Has some swagger too which we lack
• Long is going to be a crowd favourite for a long time. Good things happen when he gets it and as he builds more self belief goals like that one handed banana are going to become more and more regular
• Chesser is just starting to find his feet and adjust to the tempo. Still very much a work in progress but there’s something there to work with
• Maric had an impressive game. Two goals and some good disposals under pressure. Watching the replay he also had some very intelligent little taps and knock ons. Good footy brain
• Ginbey battled on despite showing signs of wear and tear- he was spent in the last quarter. He has some really good penetration on that left foot of his and it helped set out Williams mark and goal by travelling over the defence.
• Jack Williams did some nice things and did ok in the ruck. Had a very nice centre tap to Shuey. Needs time to develop still but there’s something there to work with
• Bazzo and Hough both had some good moments in defence as their education continues

Others -
• Allen continues to push himself even though he’s a bit banged up and was rewarded with another two goals.
Still needs more protection from the umps
• Petruccelle as a midfielder is a development I didn’t see coming but he’s been pretty effective and was important today. Definitely an experiment worth persisting with

It’s a shame for the players we lost but hard to be disappointed as a supporter with that sort of effort. The challenge will be to maintain it for the remainder of the season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best thing with today was seeing the kids leading the way and bringing the energy. If it wasn't for some pretty dodgy umpiring decisions they would have stolen it.

This stamps Simmo's papers in my mind now. How can a team go from 170 point loss against 6th bottom and nearly win against 6th the next week? Shows how much the coaching can influence the result.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't?

Games like yesterday make you glad you’re a member of this club. Even with 20 players out we were competitive and gave it a red-hot crack. I hope this gives all the naysayers and anarchists the capacity to reflect on our circumstances at the moment and take some solace from the young kid’s performance today and the as-yet newbies to be drafted in 4 months’ time. During the game yesterday, fellow members were discussing the calls for boycotts and sackings and the consensus was if you don’t like the way things are going, f**k off and support some other team.

Almost no doubt that we’re going to get our arse kicked a couple more times before the season ends, but it we can show that level of enthusiasm and commitment, I’m looking forward to watching our further development in 2024.

Jamie Cripps lead the forward line defensive pressure
Everyone around him lifted because of him
A man of few words was inspiring today

Noah Long is just a very smart footballer

Petch when in midfield was good first thing when he was in the middle his defensive pressure
was elite, he balanced it nice with his attack on the footy
He run to a much clever running pattern i hope they continue to play him in the middle and defence
Chesser just needs to play footy at any level and will get better

Bad
Gaff very sad his first two steps are so slow
Xon not doing enough, not running to right spots get bypassed to much
Wonder if we get Petch to bulk up a bit and focus on this inside role and a utility?

Get him involv3d more. See ball get ball. If you get it run away from the big mids trying g to smash you. Lol.

8 tackles! Wow.

Hope is what that game gave me.

First game since the beginning of the season where I thought that maybe we will be ok and there’s a footy team hidden deep somewhere.
There was a good mix of young and senior players leading the way. It Wasn’t just all the senior players stepping up.
Most enjoyable game for a long time.

Going to stick with the positives, been enough negatives in previous games.

+
The New brigade were great. Long, Hewett, BWilliams, Maric, Hough, Bazzo, Ginbey and even Chesser showed a bit.

Leadership from the next generation was inspirational. Seeing Barrass and Allen putting their bodies on the line was a step up from previous weeks. Supported well by Duggan and Hunt.

Effort from the senior citizens was as good as I’ve seen it for a long time. Hurn, Shuey and Cripps all provided great tackling pressure and intent. They willed themselves into the contest. Hopefully they all pull up ok.

A new standard has now been set. We know they can do it. I want to see them build on this through the rest of the season. Would love to see a win boys!

Dom Sheed got 9 tackles...... NINE!

thats got to be a career high right? For context, he only had 25 this year before that game, at 2.5 per game. His career average is 2.2. Looks like he has been given an almighty spray about his defensive efforts and was trying his heart out.
Wow. I wonder how many stuck?

It's interesting that the player I see Hewett playing like is De Goey (after knocking him out). Same burst and strength with a lower possession count. Hopefully he keeps the similarities to onfield.

Dom Sheed got 9 tackles...... NINE!

thats got to be a career high right? For context, he only had 25 this year before that game, at 2.5 per game. His career average is 2.2. Looks like he has been given an almighty spray about his defensive efforts and was trying his heart out.

Yep it's a career high
1688346343191.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back