Premier Division 2019 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Address the Reserves first.
Yes horrible position of forfeiting yesterday. Last count of unavailables that I know of was last week in the mid 30's.
Never known a season like it & it may have got worse yesterday. That would mean maintaining a senior list of 80 to field full sides, that said having 19s that could play in a couple no doubt would assist. No sure even the powerhouse clubs would hold a senior list of 80, East Burwood Cliff?

I will always thought Damo was a Vermont man.

& Yes Cliff that score was correct, unfortunately. Bad kicking = Bad footy.
Bobby in the 2 years before our dramatic decline we had similar problems, one game against Blackburn we had 14 out and the following week 17. We had blokes who had retired 5 years earlier out there playing. For the remainder of the season we had U17's making up 2's. I hope you can get the majority of them back for the second half of the season.

A few interesting points

As I said, % of over 200 in Outer East Premier

On the weekend they beat Wandin by 76 points (on a weekend where there were low scores everywhere).

A major factor that will scare many EFL clubs - they fielded player points of 22. Yep, the bare minimum - 22 x 1 point players. That’s what a lot of these outer south eastern clubs have access to.

However - there is the issue of Berwick Springs. A junior club that has designs on going senior in the next year or so. They are fielding an U19 side this year. As they develop it would weaken Berwick. And perhaps provide yet another club for the EFL should Berwick come across.

I wouldn’t read too much into their position in Outer East.
Pretty sure Mooroolbark used to beat Wandin by 10 goals every year in practice matches, and there’s guys who were playing 2s in the old second and third division that went on to be important players in AFL Yarra ranges div 1 flags.

I wouldn’t read too much into their position in Outer East.
Pretty sure Mooroolbark used to beat Wandin by 10 goals every year in practice matches, and there’s guys who were playing 2s in the old second and third division that went on to be important players in AFL Yarra ranges div 1 flags.
Could you name a couple of these 2s blokes who became important players in premierships?

Could you name a couple of these 2s blokes who became important players in premierships?

I'll be honest and say there weren't as many obvious ones as I thought (mostly due to timing of guys moving meaning they missed a flag year, the side they transferred to not actually having won a flag or them playing more senior footy in the EFL than I thought).
Verhoef & Dickinson (Wandin 2015) are the ones that first sprung to mind (though in fairness to Dicko I think there was a pretty big gap between him playing ressies at Coldy then going AWOL from M'bark on the cusp of the season and playing seniors at Wandin, and Verhoef played a handful of senior games at M'Bark before moving to Wandin).
Going back further Stevie Newman and Mitch Bonuda went from playing EFL ressies to YV flags with Silvan/Woori though both went on to play much higher level footy (Newman played AFLQ then with Baysie/Mooroolbark in EFL and Bonuda going to Vermont/Mooroolbark and playing good senior footy).

Address the Reserves first.
Yes horrible position of forfeiting yesterday. Last count of unavailables that I know of was last week in the mid 30's.
Never known a season like it & it may have got worse yesterday. That would mean maintaining a senior list of 80 to field full sides, that said having 19s that could play in a couple no doubt would assist. No sure even the powerhouse clubs would hold a senior list of 80, East Burwood Cliff?

I will always thought Damo was a Vermont man.

& Yes Cliff that score was correct, unfortunately. Bad kicking = Bad footy.

Bob I have heard Doncaster have put a lot of work currently into fielding a reserves side but have run into issues preventing them.Would this be because clearances have closed,if true you would think the EFL would grant permits for these potential new players to play the rest of the season subject of cause to the approval of their last club.A Doncaster forfeit means approx 40 players will not be playing football on a Saturday.

Bob I have heard Doncaster have put a lot of work currently into fielding a reserves side but have run into issues preventing them.Would this be because clearances have closed,if true you would think the EFL would grant permits for these potential new players to play the rest of the season subject of cause to the approval of their last club.A Doncaster forfeit means approx 40 players will not be playing football on a Saturday.

Pathetic if the league or AFL Vic are blocking this. Surely weekly permits would be okay for emergency circumstances

G you are correct in that there has been a lot of work put into getting the Reserves on the park each week. The football response from guys willing to play a week here & there has been great. This has been guys from rival clubs, lower grades, vets, recent interstate movers, etc.

The biggest issue has been getting these guys registered, there is just so much red tape involved. Players are happy to play but they don't want to spend time re-registering with clubs they have played for in the past, then a transfer/permit over & then register again if required, etc. They just want to help a club in need by turning up to play on a Saturday.

We are all bound by rules in place via AFL Victoria. This is fair enough, but these are extenuating circumstances & there is just too many hoops required to be jumped in some circumstances. In this day & age it shouldn't be so difficult, & perhaps this is something that could be looked at. People doing the work for the club all have full time jobs, etc as do the players looking to help. It is reserve footy & these guys tend to play just because they love the game.

We are currently interviewing for a paid footy manager, unfortunately this is what the modern day club may look like into the future. There is more club compliance than ever before over & above the everyday running of a club.

Opposition clubs have been great to this point & keeping them up to date as to the position is important. A supporter went to buy all of the boys a beer after last week & Rowville would not take a $$. There does appear to be sympathy out there from clubs that understand a difficult situation.

Have just found the best surfaced ground in the EFL.Back oval Norwood in superb condition after being re developed over the summer months and even a new electronic scoreboard.Heard also Montrose 2's played with 16 to yesterday.

Have just found the best surfaced ground in the EFL.Back oval Norwood in superb condition after being re developed over the summer months and even a new electronic scoreboard.Heard also Montrose 2's played with 16 to yesterday.
So it's better than Mitcham GMac. The new MCG of the East by the sound of it.

So it's better than Mitcham GMac. The new MCG of the East by the sound of it.

To earn the title of the MCG of the East Cliff the club's 1st letter has to start with "M".The last time I was at that ground it was a mud heap but I think Norwood played all their junior games on that ground today and I would think their seniors would train on it to as there are new lights on this ground to.You could see Norwood seniors had played on their main ground yesterday but I am sure there will be a few EFL grounds tonight that will be at their worse for the season right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair point mate. Thanks.

I looked at the last Balwyn game v South Croydon and surprised both sides were at the max.47 points.I think ex Sydney Swans player Xavier Richards might have played a game in Balwyn's 2's earlier this season to (he would perhaps be a 6 point player).Personally I think the points system is good for local footy as I am not sure to many ex AFL/VFL players or even better Premier league players would like to play to many 2nd games because of points problems in the their 1's and perhaps would look at playing at other clubs even in lower divisions.BUT with clubs with no U19's and struggling for 2's the points system could be another issue.

BUT a big surprise VERMONT 33 points in R12.

Last edited:
Bobby in the 2 years before our dramatic decline we had similar problems, one game against Blackburn we had 14 out and the following week 17. We had blokes who had retired 5 years earlier out there playing. For the remainder of the season we had U17's making up 2's. I hope you can get the majority of them back for the second half of the season.
Not only donny struggling blackburn ressies only had 17 at start of game until some u19s came from there game .game was played 16 a side .has it come to where we have a win /loss payment for ressies players not included in salary cap .im sure this already happens but clubs wont do this as it puts to big a dent on SC.16 a side might have to come in as well .thoughts anyone .

I looked at the last Balwyn game v South Croydon and surprised both sides were at the max.47 points.I think ex Sydney Swans player Xavier Richards might have played a game in Balwyn's 2's earlier this season to (he would perhaps be a 6 point player).Personally I think the points system is good for local footy as I am not sure to many ex AFL/VFL players or even better Premier league players would like to play to many 2nd games because of points problems in the their 1's and perhaps would look at playing at other clubs even in lower divisions.BUT with clubs with no U19's and struggling for 2's the points system could be another issue.

BUT a big surprise VERMONT 33 points in R12.

Only 31 points last week versus Noble 46

18x 1 point players versus 9 for Noble.

& yet some want to reduce the points even further. Would love to know which clubs could compete with Vermont at say 35 points.

I think the points being at 47 is good but a good example of it effecting a struggling side is Nunawading in 2016 where they basically were left with a couple of players and nearly all their list were from other clubs. Just shows the importance of having juniors which I think should be No.1 priority of all clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back