Review R17: Dees v the Aints - the Good, the Bad & the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are absolutely guaranteed a top 5 pick, wouldn't you say? I'd say we're pretty much guarenteed a top 2 or 3 pick.

Bottom five teams are quite bad. Gold Coast just lost Ablett again, Brisbane are awful, Carlton are awful, Essendon are awful and we're awful. Who finishes where depends on how awful each team plays on a given day.

We got smashed in contested possessions (supposedly one of our few strengths) and tackles yesterday - not sure we were competing as hard as we should've been.

You're right of course, but I don't think that was an effort issue. We were just s**t.

Also about 15 of our tackles were called in the back I guess.

Surprised Dawes hasn't copped more of a pasting here. That first quarter was about the worst I have ever seen a demons player actually play. It couldn't have gotten much worse. Haven't looked at the numbers, but I don't think he hit a target. He must have spurned 2 or 3 clear goal scoring opportunities, dropped that absolute sitter, grassed a simple kick, missed a simple hand ball etc etc. He just has to go. I watched Casey for the second week in a row and while he's being played in defence, Fitz is in WAY better form. He's just a better player than Dawes at present. Hell, Max King is in way better form than Dawes. Jamar is also as dominant as it gets in the VFL. Get any one of those guys in. Please. If not, I don't think I can go on watching it.

You're turning your own supporters off. Change something. For FRANK's sake.

1 unconvincing win from games against Essendon, Brisbane and St Kilda. And all 3 matches candidates for the worst game of the season (perhaps ever) * me this is rough.

Surprised Dawes hasn't copped more of a pasting here. That first quarter was about the worst I have ever seen a demons player actually play. It couldn't have gotten much worse. Haven't looked at the numbers, but I don't think he hit a target. He must have spurned 2 or 3 clear goal scoring opportunities, dropped that absolute sitter, grassed a simple kick, missed a simple hand ball etc etc. He just has to go. I watched Casey for the second week in a row and while he's being played in defence, Fitz is in WAY better form. He's just a better player than Dawes at present. Hell, Max King is in way better form than Dawes. Jamar is also as dominant as it gets in the VFL. Get any one of those guys in. Please. If not, I don't think I can go on watching it.

You're turning your own supporters off. Change something. For FRANK's sake.

he handballed to Jones for our first goal?!?!

agreed he was woeful, but there were worse than him!

he handballed to Jones for our first goal?!?!

agreed he was woeful, but there were worse than him!

He did handball to Jones for our first goal, but there weren't worse than him. I think you're entitled to expect a bit more from "an experienced Premiership winning forward and senior player" than misses from 15 out in front, scrubbed kicks and flapjack hands. He was pretty bad.

You can have him at Essendon. He and Joe Dirt would be a ripping combo.

Gotta know.

Is the bag of likes for Biffinator being good company, or is it a reaction to the concept of free sausage rolls?

Whatever it is I prefer a bag of likes to the bag that the MFC serves us every week.

Was listening to SEN before and someone rang up and described it perfectly.

"It's the lowest point of my week, usually." Then Robbo said, "You sure you wanna subject yourself to that then?" (Which is a fair question, but to us pathetic mob of diehards, it is really impossible to answer without sounding like a diehard fan).

His reply was, "Yeah but then every now and again they pull out a win like they did against Geelong and suck us all back in again."

That is spot on. To me it feels like when you're in a bad relationship with a woman you can't resist. She cheats on you, you forgive it because you just love her.

I am honestly at the point where I wish i didn't care. Bleak

Whatever it is I prefer a bag of likes to the bag that the MFC serves us every week.
Next week then, I suggest we field a team of you, Biff and a number of sausage rolls. I see no reason why this plan should fail

"It's the lowest point of my week, usually." Then Robbo said, "You sure you wanna subject yourself to that then?" (Which is a fair question, but to us pathetic mob of diehards, it is really impossible to answer without sounding like a diehard fan).

His reply was, "Yeah but then every now and again they pull out a win like they did against Geelong and suck us all back in again."

That is spot on. To me it feels like when you're in a bad relationship with a woman you can't resist. She cheats on you, you forgive it because you just love her.

This is the sad truth to most of us I'd assume.

Wouldn't be surprised if we come out and dominate Collingwood this weekend. Continuing the dangerous emotional roller-coaster this 'football club' keeps putting it's members and supporters through.

Ha. I heard the same thing today & came up with the exact same analogy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the sad truth to most of us I'd assume.

Wouldn't be surprised if we come out and dominate Collingwood this weekend. Continuing the dangerous emotional roller-coaster this 'football club' keeps putting it's members and supporters through.

I could see it happening. Collingwood aren't quite good enough for the game to mean anything but are good enough that we all convince ourselves it does.

I guarantee you if we win next week everyone on the board will be banging on about how we will go on to win three or four more games til the end of the year. Some will even claim they 'can't see us losing another game'.

Then Norf will run over us by 70 points the following week.

I could see it happening. Collingwood aren't quite good enough for the game to mean anything but are good enough that we all convince ourselves it does.

I guarantee you if we win next week everyone on the board will be banging on about how we will go on to win three or four more games til the end of the year. Some will even claim they 'can't see us losing another game'.

Then Norf will run over us by 70 points the following week.
We'll probably win next week, it's just how MFC likes to mess with our heads

What about the guy who claimed his kid had thrown all his scarves out the window after the last time we lost to St Kilda? Fanciful story but I can imagine it. Every year while the oldies are dying kids are jumping off left, right and centre and not replacing them. People love to pretend it'll all be ok just because we're called Melbourne but it's not sustainable in the long term.

What about the guy who claimed his kid had thrown all his scarves out the window after the last time we lost to St Kilda? Fanciful story but I can imagine it. Every year while the oldies are dying kids are jumping off left, right and centre and not replacing them. People love to pretend it'll all be ok just because we're called Melbourne but it's not sustainable in the long term.
Oh for sure. Every time someone convinces me to go with them into the MCC I think exactly the same thing. We've missed an entire generation of potential fans just about. There's gonna be a huge hole in our membership in a few years' time. Like when I was working at the bank and they put a freeze on hiring any staff for 18 months or so after the GFC. Yeah great, you've saved yourself from some risk of paying too many salaries for a bit, but 2 years after that when experienced people started leaving and moving on, there was no one left to teach the noobs. Place e turned to s**t real quick and ended up costing them way more than they saved. Elaborate analogy I know but it feels the same.

I know I won't quit cos I'm a sucker and a romantic, of sorts but this is the first time I've started to feel pathetic. Like embarrassed for caring. I can't quite put my finger on why the losses feel worse to me this year than ever before but I think it's because I get the sense we are running out of time in a way. Maybe it's the inconsistency that's doing my head in. Maybe it's just the the sheer amount of farce we have been fisted with over the years and this is me reaching a bit of a tether's end. Maybe I'm just overreacting. Could be because it does seem like we've improved but then performances like that are reminiscent of the worst slop we used to dish up during the wooden spoon years. 1 step forward, 10 light years backwards.

Anyway enough rambling

Same. Envy the blokes who can sit there quietly and enjoy a beer watching us get thrashed week after week without losing their voice screaming at our blokes for their inept performances. :oops:

I don't get how you blokes who scream every week maintain a passion for football. I haven't felt anything in years.

Though it was a doozy of a blunder, the Neeld 'era' gave us all an excuse for being s**t. But I think that ended last year.

Simpson, Beverage and Richardson all took over their respective teams at the same time as Roos and are clearly kicking on well already. I know we had to come from further back than those teams (actually may be debatable re St Kilda), but those other teams are also not paying record amounts for an alleged 'super' coach.

West Coast will finish top 4, Bulldogs will very likely make finals and St Kilda, though they're a way off with still some personnel to change over, look disciplined, energetic and well drilled, and have done all year.

We're out of excuses - Roos is out of excuses. The very least we should be able to say about our club at this time is that we're disciplined, energetic and well drilled. Isn't that the least that Roos could bring to the table?

We might still make mistakes with the first year players we've brought on and I, for one, wasn't expecting finals before Roos finished his tenure, but it's very hard to stomach still being a ******* rabble; still having fluctuating effort, still unable to produce AFL standard skills or fitness, still looking like there's no plan or that the plan doesn't work.

We're a joke to supporters of every other club. Their clubs may make mistakes, recruit poorly, push too far with an aging list, take on a coach with few clues, but their teams ******* bottom out briefly, they fix their s**t and then surge back up the ladder. Not us. We've been ranging from utterly putrid to flakey for 8 ******* years now. Some of you may be going to play the Richmond card, but let's be honest, we've been worse than their worst years. And you know what? People still don't take them seriously.

upload_2015-7-28_12-0-33.png

Though it was a doozy of a blunder, the Neeld 'era' gave us all an excuse for being s**t. But I think that ended last year.

Simpson, Beverage and Richardson all took over their respective teams at the same time as Roos and are clearly kicking on well already. I know we had to come from further back than those teams (actually may be debatable re St Kilda), but those other teams are also not paying record amounts for an alleged 'super' coach.

West Coast will finish top 4, Bulldogs will very likely make finals and St Kilda, though they're a way off with still some personnel to change over, look disciplined, energetic and well drilled, and have done all year.

We're out of excuses - Roos is out of excuses. The very least we should be able to say about our club at this time is that we're disciplined, energetic and well drilled. Isn't that the least that Roos could bring to the table?

We might still make mistakes with the first year players we've brought on and I, for one, wasn't expecting finals before Roos finished his tenure, but it's very hard to stomach still being a ******* rabble; still having fluctuating effort, still unable to produce AFL standard skills or fitness, still looking like there's no plan or that the plan doesn't work.

We're a joke to supporters of every other club. Their clubs may make mistakes, recruit poorly, push too far with an aging list, take on a coach with few clues, but their teams ******* bottom out briefly, they fix their s**t and then surge back up the ladder. Not us. We've been ranging from utterly putrid to flakey for 8 ******* years now. Some of you may be going to play the Richmond card, but let's be honest, we've been worse than their worst years. And you know what? People still don't take them seriously.

View attachment 156922

We finished as high as 12th one year???? Wow!

I agree with everything you said. Roos is out of excuses. We are paying him a fortune to turn this ship around, yet we are still a laughing stock. While teams like Bulldogs, GWS and West Coast have flown past us with coaches costing them half, two thirds less. Saints have also proven they are in a much better position than us as well by beating us twice, and despite arguably being behind us at the start of last season in regards to rebuilding. Gold Coast will fly past us next year as well once they have all their players back fit.

We are also playing a brand of football that is unwatchable. I fully understand the need to be defensive. But we still leak easy goals and let teams score heavily in short succession regularly. It's all good and well saying we want to be good at defending, however, we still need to score. We have arguably the most promising young forward in the comp and also a crumber who is capable of(and looks like) kicking 40-50 goals. Yet we have the worst Inside 50 count in the comp. We all constantly say we have one of the toughest midfields in the comp with Viney, Jones, Brayshaw, Vince, Tyson etc. Yet we can't get the ball forward. That surely is on the coaching? We have a midfield that still lacks a bit of depth, but our starting mids can all find the ball. Roos has to cop some serious heat as to why we still can't move the ball with any fluency at all. The last two weeks have been disgusting. You can excuse it against the top teams, but against teams lower or equal on the ladder is simply not good enough. I only want us to trade or draft players who are better than average users of the football. We desperately need players who can hit targets. ALL of Hawthorns team can hit targets. We have maybe 3-4 players who are better than average kicks. That is disgraceful when the basic fundamental of our game is to kick the bloody ball!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back