Autopsy Rd 17 Carlton v Hawthorn Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I saw that list. The Doggies kind of buck the trend there though.
I understand your point with that... They played Collingwood on the weekend who were only a couple of hundred games above them in experience. Not as vast a difference as us to the hawks.

this is a great point.

I've bee a Golden State Warriors fan since I was around 11-12, so nearly 25 years now. We were an absolute joke of a franchise for many, many years. In footy terms, can you imagine NOT making the 8, for 16 straight seasons?

That's what we did

This year, when we won it all, it was a such an indescribable feeling. Pure joy. It made it aaaalllllllll worth it
Run TMC!
I was a massive Sprewell fan.

What's the point in tearing someone a new one behind closed doors? The coaches can do that.

A captain is there to influence the game, if he doesn't have the character to get stuck into his teammates when they screw up on field then he's not doing his job.

That goes for all captains, not just Murph. I'd say the same about Pendlebury, Ablett, Swallow and Cotchin. Great players for the most part, but you rarely see them fired up on the field. What the others have, though, is support. Our leadership group on the whole seems very introverted, and the extroverts we have are lacking the skills and confidence in their own game to be criticising others (Doc and Buckley spring to mind).

I have no issue with Murph retaining the captaincy for a couple more years. Would hate to strip him of it now only to overburden Cripps or Doc who should be focusing on their own development. What we should do is overhaul the rest of the leadership group - bring in some young blokes with real aggression. When Murphy is ready to hang up the boots, we should have 2-3 strong candidates to replace him instead of an "I suppose he'll have to do" situation.

Good Post.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

The only thing i would question is the publicly spraying players on the field. I have always thought it is a bad look, and from my captaining and playing experience only small % of people will immediately respond well to copping an earfull on the field after a mistake. Most will go into their shells/crack it etc. Its a matter of style.

Im not saying murph is a good or a bad captain. I dont think a supporter can really make the assumption with our limited exposure to the club.

Like I said it will be interesting to see what the new coach does.

Good Post.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

The only thing i would question is the publicly spraying players on the field. I have always thought it is a bad look, and from my captaining and playing experience only small % of people will immediately respond well to copping an earfull on the field after a mistake. Most will go into their shells/crack it etc. Its a matter of style.

Im not saying murph is a good or a bad captain. I dont think a supporter can really make the assumption with our limited exposure to the club.

Like I said it will be interesting to see what the new coach does.

Fair call, and you're right that it's not always appropriate to tear strips off a player on field. But I don't recall the last time I saw Murph celebrate a goal with a player, or take charge at a stoppage to set up our players, or offer consolation to a player who'd made a mistake.

Great players do lead by example and can inspire those around them. Ablett does this at the Suns, Selwood at his peak does it at Geelong, Murph in form does this for us. But we need more than that for the next 5 years - we're going to have a young group coming through and if we continue to suck the enjoyment out of even the smallest successes then we're going to destroy any spark those kids carry.

As I said before, I'm happy for Murph to retain the captaincy until we have an established replacement. What we need to do is surround him with potential leaders who balance his weaknesses.

Fair call, and you're right that it's not always appropriate to tear strips off a player on field. But I don't recall the last time I saw Murph celebrate a goal with a player, or take charge at a stoppage to set up our players, or offer consolation to a player who'd made a mistake.

Great players do lead by example and can inspire those around them. Ablett does this at the Suns, Selwood at his peak does it at Geelong, Murph in form does this for us. But we need more than that for the next 5 years - we're going to have a young group coming through and if we continue to suck the enjoyment out of even the smallest successes then we're going to destroy any spark those kids carry.

As I said before, I'm happy for Murph to retain the captaincy until we have an established replacement. What we need to do is surround him with potential leaders who balance his weaknesses.

I just like to think of Murph as a placeholder for Crippa :D

He did it on a number of occasions on Friday night when he was at the stoppages.

They definitely lack leadership.
How can you say that, MSR?

Bruce continually gets his fellow commentators involved, even if they don't ever reply to them.
Whenever he needs help with his pants, taking them off or on, Duck especially knows how to do the sneaky deed. Plus, why do you think BT gets excited for over nothing special that is actually happening in the match?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My finest moment, had a pic of Henry Bolte coming out of hospital in his wheelchair.........had several frothies at Lou Richards pub (The Trough).....and I drew ears on little Henry's feet.........1.8 million copies later the s**t hit the fan.

There, I finally admit it.

Last edited:
'Course the standard thing we use'd to do was draw in one of the squares on the crossword puzzle before it went to plate.

Making myself laugh now.
that was you? bastard!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back