List Mgmt. Retirements and delistings 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Possibly 7-10 changes to the list with 4-6 draft selections and 6-4 trades/pre season draft and Rich, Redden, McGuane, Leuy, Cutler and others coming back from lti's
Let's hope we trade and draft well for good depth!!
Will be glued to the national draft and ps draft to see how it all pans out.

Wouldn't see Zob upgraded?

Geez give me a sec

Possibly, he'd be the most likely but as Bob said he could be first off the rank for an lti next year. From the clubs view they could easily be comfortable with him having another year on the rookie list. I just don't think it's a fait acompli that we will upgrade any rookies next year that was the main point.

I tend to think that we didn't really expect our first year guys to play as well as they have and may have expected we would have needed him more this year. Can see us leaving a senior list spot open to see if a rookie really smashes the pre season which Zob is certainly capable of doing given its his first year in an elite environment

I wouldn't upgrade ZOB. I think there's some promise there but I've got a nagging feeling he might be one of those guys whose game doesn't quite translate to senior level. I'd need to see more from him to warrant a senior list spot.

Having said that, if it is the choice between O'Brien and pick 98 in the draft, I'd take O'Brien.

I'd leave an upgrade spot free for the beginning of next season and see how much strength and physicality ZOB can build before next season. He doesn't have the class required to make up for being a bit lightweight and as an inside mid he needs to be able to compete physically all day long at AFL level which is where my doubts are at this stage. A second pre-season at AFL level should be able to make that clear without needing to risk the main list slot. It also makes it much more competitive for all of our rookie selections to fight for the upgrade.

I agree. The way the list sizes work currently is that you have 47 total list spots with 3 being category B rookie slots. The remaining 44 spots can be split 38:6 (main spot:category A rookie), 39:5, 40:4.

If we go with 39:5, we can upgrade one of the rookies to the main list (giving us 40:4). It doesn't disadvantage us in anyway to leave ZOB on the rookie list and keep an upgrade slot free.

Could simply come down to how our academy selections work out and how many players we draft. If we get the players we want from the academy, we might keep a spot or 2 open, upgrade 1 or 2 players from the rookie list to then make space for rookie spots for academy players not taken in the main draft.

Id leave ZOB where he is, if there is a player we want in the rookie draft then upgrade him to create a spot if needed.

And I suppose there is always the chance we will be forced into selecting an academy kid in the main draft just to beat a rival bid rather than our preference which would be to rookie him.

And I suppose there is always the chance we will be forced into selecting an academy kid in the main draft just to beat a rival bid rather than our preference which would be to rookie him.

If we only rate them as rookie standard, would we be that fussed if they get drafted elsewhere?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we only rate them as rookie standard, would we be that fussed if they get drafted elsewhere?
I was probably thinking, somewhat greedily, that we might rate them but hope to get them as rookies and use the draft for someone else, but be forced to change strategy by a rival bid.

Im thinking we have three retirees that we know already. There will be a further 3/4 delistings.

So outs.

Brown,
Moloney,
McGrath

Most likely

Lisle,
Raines,
Polkinghorne,
Michael

Maybe

Wearden
Golby

Could happen not likely

Staker
Maguire

Upgrades

O'brien
Bourke

Likely to only have 1 live pick
My tip three academy picks for senior list plus two f/s or academy rookie picks.

Im thinking we have three retirees that we know already. There will be a further 3/4 delistings.

So outs.

Brown,
Moloney,
McGrath

Most likely

Lisle,
Raines,
Polkinghorne,
Michael

Maybe

Wearden
Golby

Could happen not likely

Staker
Maguire

Upgrades

O'brien
Bourke

Likely to only have 1 live pick
My tip three academy picks for senior list plus two f/s or academy rookie picks.

Personally I think that Wearden will most likely be gone. I just think that the position I thought he would be groomed for has largely been taken by a combo of Gardiner, McStay and Cutler, with even Bourke probably ahead of him at this stage. As for rookie upgrades I have doubts that we will elevate anyone onto the senior list pre draft/rookie draft. Maybe once the season starts but not before then. If i was the club I would be keeping our options open in in the draft especially if we're already locked in to taking a few Academy players. Still can't help this nagging feeling that we won't be drafting as many academy guys when compared to the BF concensus, maybe just put it down to natural scepticism on my behalf based on our recent history.

I hope they rookie list Weardo - he was just coming good when he suffered the first injury and hasn't been able to get on the park since. Was always seen as a bit of a project player given he was a country kid and he would be a very handy type if he could make it.

I hope they rookie list Weardo - he was just coming good when he suffered the first injury and hasn't been able to get on the park since. Was always seen as a bit of a project player given he was a country kid and he would be a very handy type if he could make it.
Who would he replace though??

I think most of us assumed this, but it sounds like Goose is going around again. Burton refers here to Goose going in for cleanup surgery after the season to get back in time for a full pre-season.

I think most of us assumed this, but it sounds like Goose is going around again. Burton refers here to Goose going in for cleanup surgery after the season to get back in time for a full pre-season.
The way he finished the year, definitely should. And we can't retire/delist all our experienced players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back