Toast Rookie Pick 13 - Sam Russell

Remove this Banner Ad

I know Sammy pretty well, and have for a number of years. The kids a work horse, with fantastic character and terrific athletic attributes. As far as a footballer goes, he's as hard as a cats head and very rarely beaten. As a 17 year old, who's not 18 till late December he's got plenty of physical development, and i wouldn't be surprised if he had another growth spurt in him. He was planning on playing Falcons as a 19 next year where he would have spent a lot of time in the middle, could develop into a solid 100 gamer. Also worth noting his dad played 30ish games for Sydney in the 80s. Mark is his name. I hope he has a successful career!

His old man's career stats. He was 190cm and 96kg so maybe you are right about the second growth spurt.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/M/Mark_Russell.html

We have made a mess of this draft. Obviously 'they' have a theory but for f***s sake how about picking a traditional footballer... from south Australia.
letting the crows pic up Battersby and Spina will be the proverbial bite in the bum in years to come.
I know everyone will say, but we will have to wait and see...
Hourigan and Wilson not selected because of ... ? Obviously a fitness issue, but isn't that why we pay the fitness guru the big bucks to get them right?
End of whinge... ahh

having a look at our list, now count how many we have that has speed ..

Amon, Impey, Russell, Byrne-Jones, Polec, White to add to Sammy C, Mitchell, Clurey, Neade, O'Shea etc etc etc just to name a few ...

I have a feeling the likes of Amon, Impey, Byrne-Jones and possibly Russell are in a completely different league to the rest in terms of speed.

The only reservation I have with this pick is that it was more of the same. Having said that for a bottom ager he looks like he can play.
Parker and Cripps will come out of this draft either looking like geniuses or complete fools.

Last year we picked Colquhoun in the PSD who was born 20th December

This year we bypassed the PSD like 16 other clubs, (only GWS took Lamb from Sydney) and used the rookie draft to pick Russell born on 29th December.

Had to look him up when we called out his name. Like his highlights clip, knows how to defend, looks a fierce competitor and provides run off the backline.

Think about the future. Think about who out of our list right now would you expect to delist/trade in two years time. I'm not saying you draft spuds so you can delist them later, but it's definitely worth while to focus on a couple of key areas that you believe need attention, make sure you get that right, then trade away the excess like GWS did for Hombsch a year ago.

I'm just glad we seem to have a plan this draft. We've targeted a very specific player type with most of our picks - you'd think at least one or two of them will come on as expected. I'm quite certain that next year we will target our KPP stocks.

I have this feeling that Ken wants to reinvent 'slingshot footy' to the point where the sling is fired from anywhere on the ground...

Think about the future. Think about who out of our list right now would you expect to delist/trade in two years time. I'm not saying you draft spuds so you can delist them later, but it's definitely worth while to focus on a couple of key areas that you believe need attention, make sure you get that right, then trade away the excess like GWS did for Hombsch a year ago.

I'm just glad we seem to have a plan this draft. We've targeted a very specific player type with most of our picks - you'd think at least one or two of them will come on as expected. I'm quite certain that next year we will target our KPP stocks.

I have this feeling that Ken wants to reinvent 'slingshot footy' to the point where the sling is fired from anywhere on the ground...
I like your train of thought django

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Colquhoun fast? Never saw it.

Don't think he has the line breaking speed i.e. fast. But he's a top 3km mid range runner, same with O'shea, Clurey and Mitchell.

Our new draftees are legitimate 20m/100m/repeat sprints fast.

I have a feeling the likes of Amon, Impey, Byrne-Jones and possibly Russell are in a completely different league to the rest in terms of speed.
They were all top 15 or something for their sprints at the combine... So yea I'd say they're gonna be quicker than 2013s crop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Endurance isn't really pace is it though, I always saw pace as burst speed.

Maybe that's just me, i don't really classify O'Shea or Sammy as 'fast'. The new draftees on the other hand are great in that regard.

O'Shea, Clurey have endurance. They will stay on the ground for long periods. White is interesting as he seems to have both pace and endurance. The new recruits are fast with a couple having reasonable endurance which we should be able to build on - Burg will provide the endurance I bet is the thinking. Hoon, fast? Works hard but doesn't look fast.

I have this feeling that Ken wants to reinvent 'slingshot footy' to the point where the sling is fired from anywhere on the ground...[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. If next year is the year of the big men, then we can cover that base then. For now, we have speed speed speed, strength and skill through the guts, and enough forward capability & defence to take us to the next level. Welcome aboard the Port Adelaide train Sam!

I have this feeling that Ken wants to reinvent 'slingshot footy' to the point where the sling is fired from anywhere on the ground...[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. If next year is the year of the big men, then we can cover that base then. For now, we have speed speed speed, strength and skill through the guts, and enough forward capability & defence to take us to the next level. Welcome aboard the Port Adelaide train Sam!

was thinking the exact same thing! looks like his body is up for a few games in year 1! hopefully he can TKO Ballentine when we play the lavender lads.

Hey, don't stick it to the The Lavender Lads and Ladies ... :mad:

How many rounds do you think the kid is going to play next year? he is described as ready made, 2-5 games for me

Give us your reasons please?

I was expecting ... maybe hoping tall?

I love this pick because it is the recruiting department backing themselves in on a player rather than just going for someone who is a depth player. The kid is young, he is a competitor and he has pace and endurance. It is more that they have picked someone with potential.

All the guys we have picked are going to be able to apply defensive pressure whilst not being slouches with the ball themselve. They look as though they all have work ethic and that is what excites me, they may be small but they look like they love to play port adelaide football.

If nothing else our sanfl team is going to be bloody quick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back