Geary - Delaney - Dempster
Webster - Fisher - Savage
Newnes - Dunstan - Montagna
Curren - Riewoldt - Steven
Billings - White - Bruce
Hickey - Armitage - Weller
Ross - Roberton - Membrey
(Acres)

I think we go.senior in defence and try to ensure we get the season rolling with a solid win over GWS.

Big bodies in the middle as well as plenty of rebounding options to try and tire out their mid/hff rotation options.

Acres the sub to come on for Bruce or White. Membrey then as the 3rd tall, Hickey rucks the last 10-15 minutes after a solid spell. Run Mummy ragged.

Acres to provide another level of run and carry from the hbf/wing to deep inside 50 and really grind the Giants down.

Will make a full team later, but hoping to see...

Dunstan and Billings be regulars, 18+ games each.
Acres, if fit, to push for selection and play 12-16 games, any more would be a bonus. Same with Templeton, keep getting games into him.
Spencer White to play 15+ games.
Goddard and McCartin to appear 4-7 occasions, any more would be a bonus.
McKenzie to play whenever there's room. Half a dozen times maybe to give him a taste at AFL level. Not sure about Lonie.

Hopefully Webster stays fit and cements a spot, 16+ games hopefully off the half back line.

It's so sad just looking at these potential teams without the name "Hayes" :cry:
But then again, it's exciting, can't wait to see what our young players can turn into.
Really hoping that Ross and Weller (along with all our other players, but wanted to emphasise them) can have really solid seasons. Some of you may not rate Ross, but I think he's going to be a really good player. This is his season and his chance to replace the hole that Lenny has left for someone to fill. I remember when he first came, Watters compared him to Pendles. Really want him to up the ante in his defensive side and also the spread, which he has been criticised for. Hope that he can also hit the score board a bit more. These things will definitely be a heavy focus for him during the pre season. Look out for him.

Last edited:

NAB Cup... Bugger it....

FB: Roberton - Delaney - Geary
HB: Webster - Lee - Savage
CR: Acres - Murdoch - Newnes
HF: Membrey - Bruce - Billings
FF: Lonie - White - Longer
RK: Holmes - Ross - Dunstan
Int: Markworth - Siposs - Templeton - Saunders - McCartin - Pierce - Wright - McKenzie - Shenton - Goddard - Weller

A few post-injury run-outs (Geary, Templeton, Wright), a few positional shifts (Lee, Newnes, Bruce) and giving both the new blokes a run out and the old blokes a night off.

The larger bench and swapping around means we can play with the rotations a bit.

Newnes to skipper the side.

NAB Cup... Bugger it....

FB: Roberton - Delaney - Geary
HB: Webster - Lee - Savage
CR: Acres - Murdoch - Newnes
HF: Membrey - Bruce - Billings
FF: Lonie - White - Longer
RK: Holmes - Ross - Dunstan
Int: Markworth - Siposs - Templeton - Saunders - McCartin - Pierce - Wright - McKenzie - Shenton - Goddard - Weller

A few post-injury run-outs (Geary, Templeton, Wright), a few positional shifts (Lee, Newnes, Bruce) and giving both the new blokes a run out and the old blokes a night off.

The larger bench and swapping around means we can play with the rotations a bit.

Newnes to skipper the side.
I like this UB, see how Lee goes down back, give Holmsey a go. Bruce in Rooeys role. I'd put Hickey in there somewhere as a post injury first run.

I like this UB, see how Lee goes down back, give Holmsey a go. Bruce in Rooeys role. I'd put Hickey in there somewhere as a post injury first run.
Not until I was sure of his knee IMO. Play in the intraclub and then assess.

Injuries really hit us so next year I can see us building around the senior blokes a lot more.

I don't think well see players like Dunstan and billings gifted games off the back of poor performances. I love both but we were carrying both massively during the season. When they should have been rested or dropped. As much as I love Dunstan his game time was very minimal and is not something you can continue to carry. Id rather him be north of 80% absolutely bust himself and then rest a week than run at sub 70 all season

Competition will be fierce. Armo, Steven certain starts in the midfield. Weller, Dunstan, Ross, Curren all competing after that for 1 maybe another spot.

Fisher, Geary and Gilbert will all return which should put pressure on the backline spots and maybe some outside players/utility players. Bruce and Delaney I think will play entire season down there, if form warrants. Dempster same.

I think hickey will be rested fwd to help his knee through. Longer, pierce and Holmes will fight for the ruck. Mckernan if picked up might put pressure on the above

Lee/white will be in competition. Membrey will put pressure on Siposs, Murdoch. Of course McCartin will be in the wings

Could go on but you can see how tight the 22 is now

Injuries really hit us so next year I can see us building around the senior blokes a lot more.

I don't think well see players like Dunstan and billings gifted games off the back of poor performances. I love both but we were carrying both massively during the season. When they should have been rested or dropped. As much as I love Dunstan his game time was very minimal and is not something you can continue to carry. Id rather him be north of 80% absolutely bust himself and then rest a week than run at sub 70 all season

Competition will be fierce. Armo, Steven certain starts in the midfield. Weller, Dunstan, Ross, Curren all competing after that for 1 maybe another spot.

Fisher, Geary and Gilbert will all return which should put pressure on the backline spots and maybe some outside players/utility players. Bruce and Delaney I think will play entire season down there, if form warrants. Dempster same.

I think hickey will be rested fwd to help his knee through. Longer, pierce and Holmes will fight for the ruck. Mckernan if picked up might put pressure on the above

Lee/white will be in competition. Membrey will put pressure on Siposs, Murdoch. Of course McCartin will be in the wings

Could go on but you can see how tight the 22 is now
I think we just want to get guys like Billings and Dunstan to 50 games as quickly as possible. Bit like Newnes in 2013, wasn't setting the world on fire but that experience paid off this season. Unless they're getting multiple single digit possession games in a row I think we'll see them in the team.

I think we just want to get guys like Billings and Dunstan to 50 games as quickly as possible. Bit like Newnes in 2013, wasn't setting the world on fire but that experience paid off this season. Unless they're getting multiple single digit possession games in a row I think we'll see them in the team.

Fair point!!!

Really keen to see who we get in the rookie draft before i make NAB Challenge teams up! But need the less McCartin, Goddard, McKenzie and Lonie all should play!
Exciting times ahead! Wednesday we find out :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any news on how he is going.
Hickey was quoted in a saints article a few weeks back, I forget which one, and he was saying that the operation went stupidly well and he is without pain for the first time in like 5 years. So yeah, going pretty well it seems.

FB: Dempster Delaney Wright
HB: Webster Fisher Savage

R: Hickey Armitage Steven
C: Montagna Geary Ray

HF: Membrey Riewoldt Minchington
FF: Billings Lee Longer

Inter: Newnes, Weller, Dunstan, Acres

oops forgot Gilbert Must get him in there too

Subject to change at the drop of a hat:

FB: Wright Delaney Dempster
HB: Webster Fisher Savage
C: Montagna Dunstan Newnes
HF: Billings Roo Murdoch
FF: Eli Bruce Lee

R: Hickey Steven Armo

Int: Ross Ray Weller Geary

Dempster Delaney Wright
Webster Fisher Savage
Montagna Dunstan Newnes
Eli roo billings
Lonie White Membry

R- Longer Steven Armo
Int- Weller Ross Geary
sub- Acres

I've Categorised our Best 31 players, who I think have potential to be in our best 22 in 2018, and our Most Experienced. I have left our draftees of 2014 out, as i think we have far too many youngsters to be gifting games to them, by all means play them in the Nab Cup, but let them earn the strips through the VFL.

KPD: Delaney, Fisher, Dempster
Defenders: Wright, Webster, Savage, Roberton
Ultities: Geary, Newnes, Murdock - (Ultities will generally play Mid or Def, as Mids Rotate through the forward line.)
KPU: Bruce, Gilbert - (if 2 play one becomes the 2nd Ruck and only 1 ruck is picked)
Ruck: Hickey, Longer
Inside Midfielders: Dunstan, Ross, Weller, Armitage, Steven, Curren
Outside Mids: Montagna, Ray, Acres, Saunders
KPF's: Riewoldt, Lee, White
Forwards: Membrey, Templeton, Markworth, Billings

Rd 1 Best 22: (Bold Players Locked into Rd 1, unless injured, or Unwarranted Form)

FB: Dempster Delaney Wright __________Team includes: Defence: 3 KPD, 3 Def
HB: Webster Fisher Savage _____________________________Midfield: 4 Mids 1 Utility 1 Ruck

HF: Armitage Riewoldt Saunders _______6 Players named, who I don't expect to be playing in 2018.
FF: Billings Bruce Lee

R: Hickey Dunstun Steven
Inter: Gilbert, Acres, Geary, Membrey

Emg: Templeton, Longer, Murdock, Ray, Ross, White, Markworth, Roberton, Curren (in order of preference, white is a real wild card)

Tough team to pick.
(Edit. Why doesn't Bigfooty recognize Multiple spaces as formatting?)

Last edited:
B: Geary Delaney Dempster

CHB: Webster Fisher Savage

C: Newnes Dunstan Montagna

CHF: Membrey Riewoldt Murdoch

FF: Templeton Lee Billings

FOLL: Hickey Armitage Steven

INT: Saunders Wright Bruce Ray

I'm bored, so I'll have another go...

FB: Geary - Delaney - Webster
HB: Savage - Fisher - Newnes
CR: Ray - Weller - Montagna
HF: Membrey - Riewoldt - Billings
FF: Lonie - Bruce - Hickey
RK: Longer - Steven - Armitage
Int: Templeton - Dunstan - Ross - Wright

I'd play the little fella; gives us a genuine point of difference in the crumbing department.

It's so sad just looking at these potential teams without the name "Hayes" :cry:
But then again, it's exciting, can't wait to see what our young players can turn into.
Really hoping that Ross and Weller (along with all our other players, but wanted to emphasise them) can have really solid seasons. Some of you may not rate Ross, but I think he's going to be a really good player. This is his season and his chance to replace the hole that Lenny has left for someone to fill. I remember when he first came, Watters compared him to Pendles. Really want him to up the ante in his defensive side and also the spread, which he has been criticised for. Hope that he can also hit the score board a bit more. These things will definitely be a heavy focus for him during the pre season. Look out for him.
I have to admit I am one who has been harsh on Ross, but he slowly started to win me over the second half of last season. There was a couple of VFL games where his hands in close were exceptional. He saw a way through when most players wouldn't. He seems to have a quick mind, and his pace also surprised me a couple of times. He is certainly not fast, but also not as slow as I previously thought.

I hope he has a big year, would be a real bonus if he comes good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back