Preview Round 1: Carlton V Richmond @ MCG, 02/04/15, 7.20pm AEST. (FREE LIKES!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My concern with the side is that we were supposed to be improving our speed but looking at the side there isn't a big increase in overall speed.
Speed? Nah that's too logical. We need more battling plodders or beanpole utilities.

Look - I like Chris Newman... I really do. Has been a great servant.
I just can't see where he fits in.
Surely does not play half back ahead of Houli or Vlastuin... Batch or Grimes
Midfield rotations? Wing - maybe I guess.
Certainly not forward.
Hope he plays and kicks 4....

Mick loves a late change. Would be surprised it Casboult didn't play especially now they've seen we are short down back. Also lacking a decent second ruck.

A bit puzzled by the Newman and Gordon selections as Newman had no match practice (as far as I'm aware) and Gordon didn't show as much as others. But we know what we are going to get with these two though so probably more of a safety selection. Guys like Lennon, Lambert, Vickery etc you're not quite sure what you're going to get (at this stage). That's the only way I can justify it.

Pressure on the ball carrier will be key. Let the likes of Yarran, Gibbs, Murphy run free and our short defense becomes a worry in some one-on-ones but force them to bomb it in and it suits Chaplin, Batchelor etc to a tee. Sure Casboult/Henderson/Jones might pluck a couple but our defense is at it's best (which is very good) when they have time to organise themselves, like most defenses I suppose, so they won't be marking everything all night.

Miles was moving fine on the news.

Go Tiges.

I understand why people dislike Newman in the side.
But * me to say he's had no pre season is a little harsh. He's only missed two weeks.

I can see what the club is doing with him. It will be a natural progression with bringing in someone else.
He will play less and less as the year goes by.

Well thats what I'm going to tell myself.

I guess it's not a massive surprise given Newman was dog s**t all last season and was never in danger of being dropped. Same with Morris. He has the easiest gig going around. If he turns up he plays.
Leadership is so important. It's like taking out your line managers at work. If they are sick the employees dont work as hard. I don't like Newman playing but the coaches watch over all our games from angles and camera's we dont get assess to. They also watch over all our training sessions. Lloyd has had a solid offseason. I am happy he got a gig.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Team's up!

Round 1 Team
B
: Chaplin, Batchelor, Rance
HB: Houli, Vlastuin, Grimes
C: Ellis, Cotchin, McIntosh
HF: Morris, Edwards, Deledio
F: Riewoldt, Lloyd, Griffiths
R: Maric, Martin, Hunt
IC: Grigg, Newman, Anthony Miles, Nathan Gordon
Em: Petterd, Vickery, Lambert
New: Taylor Hunt, 24, 184cm, 78kg, from Geelong/Sandringham under 18s/Beaumaris and Kamdyn McIntosh, 20 (turns 21 on April 3), 192cm, 91kg, from Pinjarra/Peel Thunder (WAFL).
Not Bad!
I like Llyod in the side hopeful he takes his chance.
I feel we should have given Elton a game over Grimes
Hopefully as the year goes by players Like Lennon and Ellis can push Grigg and Newman out of the side.

Leadership is so important. It's like taking out your line managers at work. If they are sick the employees dont work as hard. I don't like Newman playing but the coaches watch over all our games from angles and camera's we dont get assess to. They also watch over all our training sessions. Lloyd has had a solid offseason. I am happy he got a gig.
I'd hoped we had moved to a position where we now have several quality on-field leaders. I thought that's what the "mic'ed up" segments on the website were supposed to showcase. If we need old man Newman for his leadership still we are treading water.

My concern with the side is that we were supposed to be improving our speed but looking at the side there isn't a big increase in overall speed.

We drafted for speed but those players will take a few years to break into the side - it wasn't a quick fix. Our two ins, Hunt and McIntosh, cover the ground extremely well though, and will give us a bit of the boost in the run department - both offensively and defensively.

Yesterday I was pumped and ready for a 69 point win
Now the sides have come out...I'm wilting...this will be close:(
What genius thing do you know that will have such a dramatic change in the score? Lennon in as a sub instead of Gordon? Petterd or Lambert in for Newman? Just thank god Vickery is not playing!!!

All the speedsters bar McIntosh are newbs. They need to earn a spot not come in round 1.

Can't really understand all the negativity here. Bar Newman (Who won't play) and Astbury it's pretty much as expected. Vickery is likely to replace the old boy with the dodgy ticker. Gordon has got a bad rap on here after earning his spot last year. He deserves the first crack I would have thought.

You're happy with Newman with no preseason games over Lennon who was impressive in the preseason?
Lennon was impressive against North and the Port thirds but showed through all three games that he doesn't yet have the tank to run out an AFL game. He's still a little bit soft, too. He wasn't competing with Newman, IMO.

What are you talking about? Hunt and McIntosh make us faster (and both run all day). Who else were they supposed to pick? Drummond?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back