Round 15: Hawthorn vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

i wouldn't mind going down there so much if we didn't have to do it... every. *******. year.

It's like our Sydney fixture... we only get them in Subi every 5 years or so. If you want to draw a bigger Tassie crowd, why can't you play the Eagles there every other year and play us in Subi? The only reason we got you in Subi last year was because we played you twice.

Doesn't mean they will turn up. As someone pointed out above, your team didn't draw a good crowd in 2014 when we had the GF replay. It's Hawthorn's home game and if they suspect it won't draw a good crowd and the AFL agrees then it will be played down in Tassie so we can maximise our gate takings.

You didn't answer my question, if you have 50,000 members why cant a top of the table clash attract at least 40,000

I don't get it, there again our 40,000 members are reserve seated, so the revenue is raised whether a couple of thousand don't show up.

You didn't answer my question, if you have 50,000 members why cant a top of the table clash attract at least 40,000

I don't get it, there again our 40,000 members are reserve seated, so the revenue is raised whether a couple of thousand don't show up.
I turn up to all Hawks games at the MCG regardless of weather or the team so I can only guess why some supporters don't show to certain games. Fact is, GF aside, games between these sides at the G don't draw a large crowd so why would we play our home game there when we can actually make a decent profit playing it down in Tassie?

The contract requires the AFL to schedule a minimum number of Victorian teams for the Tassie matches. The Sydney game was in 2012, so again, there would have been no reason to expect that to be a big drawing game when it was scheduled. They can't just send the exact same teams here every year, either. So perhaps I should have said the lowest, or lower drawing games subject to certain conditions.

Hawthorn versus Freo at the MCG is simply not a very high drawing game regardless. As I detailed above, even when it was the Grand Final replay and Hawthorn's flag unveiling, it was one of the lower drawing games of the year involving Hawthorn at the MCG.

Hawthorn v Sydney is actually a pretty high drawing fixture. The preceding MCG fixtures drew -

2007 - 48398
2008 - 49529
2009 - 44464
2010 - 36003

It was also the 2011 SF replay

I like from chances this week ....

Their form has been great ...yes great forget all the crap you read by Easter States media ....put simply you don't get to 12-1 without playing really good footy ....sorry you don't get there by accident would be my thinking.

Freos form is good...let's put that to bed straight away

Hawks form has Steadily improved as the year has gone on ....

It's a big ground ...suits freo and Hawks .....no roughy tips the ledger in my mind

I watch most freo games and they are bit like Geelong of 2007-2009 ....they play burst footy and that burst kills off most teams.....that's how you win 12 and lose 1

That's my case anyways

this could be a big loss for Freo they haven't been going to great lately, and Hawthorn are really building some form.

12-1 shocking terrible form .....sorry form is so overrated

They get the wins ...winning is good form

I reckon freo can get Hawks this week ..Hope they do ...helps our top 4 chances too

I reckon freo can get Hawks this week ..Hope they do ...helps our top 4 chances too

Weather will play a part here if it is dry Hawks in a canter.. If it is wet and Ross can make it ugly I think Freo have a big chance.

I turn up to all Hawks games at the MCG regardless of weather or the team so I can only guess why some supporters don't show to certain games. Fact is, GF aside, games between these sides at the G don't draw a large crowd so why would we play our home game there when we can actually make a decent profit playing it down in Tassie?

I have no doubt the Hawks v Fremantle game probably would draw 40,000 and could go close to matching the 44000 last year.

This year we have played 4 MCG home games (and 2 away games) and drawn:

Magpies v Hawks - 75880 (70516, 48980 last year)
Hawks v Cats - 73583 (80222, 72248 last year)
Hawks v Swans - 63319 (72728 last year)
Hawks v Dons - 62500
Dons v Hawks - 59866
Hawks v Demons - 41935 (37008 last year)

The Hawks and Dockers have only played 2 home games at the MCG (2014 and 2011)

2014 - Hawks v Fremantle (43583)
2011 - Hawks v Fremantle (31925)

Given that both clubs made the GF just 2 years ago, both finished top 4 and drew a crowd that was larger than 3 of our 7 MCG home games last year it was a foolish fixture. The fact that both clubs are embedded in the top 4 and are the two current premiership favourites would guarantee a large crowd (similar to our turn outs (of Hawthorn fans) gainst Geelong and Sydney in recent years)

The GF replay bounce is also rubbish. Our crowds against Geelong in 2011, 2013, 2014 and 2015 trumped 2009 and crowds against Sydney in 2014 trumped 2013 and 2015. Its all about the quality of match

That said we've had a pretty reasonable home game draw this year (with Richmond ($$$), Port Adelaide and Carlton to follow)

I reckon we should have played Melbourne in Tasmania and Fremantle in Melbourne and everyone wins. Tasmania gets a new opponent (Dees have wealthy supporters that would probably travel), Freo get another MCG fixture and the net gain / loss at the MCG would be minimal

Last edited:

yes they are 12-1 but form goes up and down during the season, yes they are still getting the wins but at the moment they are down on form barely beating the bottom teams (this could of been planned by Ross who knows)

Pav has only kicked 2 goals in the past 4-5 games and Ballantine has only kicked 9 or 10 goals fir the season.

this could be a big loss for Freo they haven't been going to great lately, and Hawthorn are really building some form.

Like last week against the Pies (a game they should have lost)? Or the previous week against Essendon, where they weren't exactly fantastic against a side that was torn apart the next week by the Saints?

If there is any measure of the two sides, its the fact that both played Collingwood in the past two weeks. Both with narrow wins, with Freo statistically dominant over Collingwood whereas Hawthorn were not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no doubt the Hawks v Fremantle game probably would draw 40,000 and could go close to matching the 44000 last year.

This year we have played 4 MCG home games (and 2 away games) and drawn:

Magpies v Hawks - 75880 (70516, 48980 last year)
Hawks v Cats - 73583 (72248 last year)
Hawks v Swans - 63319 (72728 last year)
Hawks v Dons - 62500
Dons v Hawks - 59866
Hawks v Demons - 41935 (37008 last year)

The Hawks and Dockers have only played 2 home games at the MCG (2014 and 2011)

2014 - Hawks v Fremantle (43583)
2011 - Hawks v Fremantle (31925)

Given that both clubs made the GF just 2 years ago, both finished top 4 and drew a crowd that was larger than 3 of our 7 MCG home games last year it was a foolish fixture. The fact that both clubs are embedded in the top 4 and are the two current premiership favourites would guarantee a large crowd (similar to our turn outs against Geelong and Sydney in recent years)

That said we've had a pretty reasonable home game draw this year (with Richmond ($$$), Port Adelaide and Carlton to follow)

I reckon we should have played Melbourne in Tasmania and Fremantle in Melbourne and everyone wins. Tasmania gets a new opponent (Dees have wealthy supporters that would probably travel), Freo get another MCG fixture and the net gain / loss at the MCG would be minimal
I should probably mention that I do think this particular game would be good at the MCG. Just that when it was fixtured there was no sure way of knowing Freo would be on the way up again. So the sensible thing (financially speaking) was to fixture it at Tassie. It will get a decent crowd in Tassie and Hawthorn will make a decent profit off it.

Like last week against the Pies (a game they should have lost)? Or the previous week against Essendon, where they weren't exactly fantastic against a side that was torn apart the next week by the Saints?

If there is any measure of the two sides, its the fact that both played Collingwood in the past two weeks. Both with narrow wins, with Freo statistically dominant over Collingwood whereas Hawthorn were not.

We were due.

Dominated games against Essendon, Port Aselaide, GWS and Sydney but were pipped at the post.

Was all about getting one back :)

Our form was probably better at 4-4 then it is at 9-4

Mate i wouldn't really talk about winning and scoring too much i mean you what would you say nearly got beaten by GCS hardly scoring over 50 points. Suffice to say it doesn't matter how u get the win so long as you win. Two good teams about to go at it. I say bring it

Weather will play a part here if it is dry Hawks in a canter.. If it is wet and Ross can make it ugly I think Freo have a big chance.

Not sure about that either Pavs form in the wet is terrible

Freo looked better in the 2nd half when the weather dried out a bit v lions

I just think 12-1 is rather impressive ...Numbers don't lie

If remember freo used to go down to skilled stadium which was a Geelong fortress ...and they would win ...

Anytime anywhere for freo

yes Freo just seem a bit flat ATM their scoring has dried up recently and they will need to kick a decent score to beat the Hawks, if this was at Domain i would have them close to 50/50 but think Hawks will get up over in Tassie.

yes they are 12-1 but form goes up and down during the season, yes they are still getting the wins but at the moment they are down on form barely beating the bottom teams (this could of been planned by Ross who knows)

Pav has only kicked 2 goals in the past 4-5 games and Ballantine has only kicked 9 or 10 goals fir the season.

Freos form has dipped once ..v Richmond

Winning form is good form ....it's that simple ...we over complicate it

If any other tea was 12-1 against a team 9-4 ....we would be backing the 12-1 most times wouldn't we ?

Freo have had injuries this year too ...to achieve 12-1 with injuries has been nothing short of extraordinary. I watch most freo matches ...they don't do look that slick at times do they? ...

But when the game is on the line they find a ways to win ..

If pies had kicked straight last week we wouldn't be having this chat and freo would be warm favourites

Freos form has dipped once ..v Richmond

Winning form is good form ....it's that simple ...we over complicate it

If any other tea was 12-1 against a team 9-4 ....we would be backing the 12-1 most times wouldn't we ?

Freo have had injuries this year too ...to achieve 12-1 with injuries has been nothing short of extraordinary. I watch most freo matches ...they don't do look that slick at times do they? ...

But when the game is on the line they find a ways to win ..

If pies had kicked straight last week we wouldn't be having this chat and freo would be warm favourites
your saying current form is irrelevant im saying it is and Freo are not in the same form that they were at the start of the year

We just need to make Aurora an away fortress like Skilled and Etihad. Make the Hawks want to play us at the 'G. Ask Geelng supporters what it's like playing Freo in a home game they couldn't lose.
Hawks should win, doesn't mean they will.

Not sure about that either Pavs form in the wet is terrible

Freo looked better in the 2nd half when the weather dried out a bit v lions

I just think 12-1 is rather impressive ...Numbers don't lie

If remember freo used to go down to skilled stadium which was a Geelong fortress ...and they would win ...

Anytime anywhere for freo

I am not worried about Pav in any conditions. Patterson long and skinny / Skilled long and skinny.. Aurora is quite wide and teams struggle with the wings due to the wind which tends to blow 3/4 left to right on the screen and away from the broadcast wing. It's a very strange ground to play on and that is why we have such a pronounced advantage down there.

your saying current form is irrelevant im saying it is and Freo are not in the same form that they were at the start of the year

They probably executed better in front of goals

Also when you bolt out of the blocks like they did teams will hunt you down, work you out ...you become the hunted

If you look through history teams that do a bolt out of the blocks usually have flat spot here and there ....

They often struggle a bit against lower teams too for some odd reason

12-1 can't be questioned ...it simply can't

Remove this Banner Ad

Back