Autopsy Round 20: Hawks defeated by Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

How much longer can Frawley play for? Seriously when a side has at least 2 tall fwds we are screwed. Way too slow and fumbles more often than not. Unfortunately we don’t have anyone to replace him...
Scully gets into good position but butchers kicks like you can’t believe.
Birchall- end it now please even though he played great when out there these past few weeks.
Hendo mightn’t make it in 2020 as good as he’s been this year.
Smith could still be ok with a better midfield if he’s played off hbf..
Nash - what’s the point of having him there for his speed and pressure when the opposition he’s there to do that to can still burn him off? And he offers nil else
Poppy’s pressure and workrate is still immense but just doesn’t ever get to use the footy anymore
Bruest/Gunston will be dangerous when we are winning the midfield battle - they need quick ball movement and inside 50 delivery.
It’s a worry that we still play through Burgoyne so much but he kind of played the role we’d like Scrimshaw to play I guess in the future.
Stratton is still a key defender for us even if he got well beaten by Wood after qtr time

We are on the edge or on the cusp .. i still back Clarko to find the right balance again though.
All pretty valid points.. still some real
worries with our list.. and I don’t think recruiting Patton and Coniglio fixes all of them

you mad my team beat yours or something?

I'm just baffled with how each week we see posters like you, who think it is ok to come into opposition boards to gloat after a win. No matter how many times it happens, I'm still surprised people this stupid exist and can still have the brains to actually mash out a message on their keyboard. Idiot savants, I guess. It reflects very poorly on you that you are still posting here, but you don't really get that do you? Sometimes having a sub-normal IQ is a gift isn't it?

Last edited:

Wow calm down.

Look at us! Look at us! We're North Melbourne! Hey Everyone, we're the Kanga... sorry Norf Melbourne... We really are relevant! Nah promise, we are! We're the shinboners! We're relevant! We're relevant! We're relevant! We're releva.... We're rel... but shinboners.... relev.... anyone? anyone?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think many are being too harsh on Poppy. He still does his job. Brings the ball to ground and creates stoppages when outnumbered.

As opposed to Nash who's role is similar except he doesn't have the forward nous to get into the right spots and make the contest.

And I don't get the point of Dan Howe really.

I'm not going to blame the forwards. Entry kicks forced them under the ball and were rarely to advantage after the first quarter.

We lost the ability to create turnovers at half forward. They were getting options with ease at half back and wing. The complete opposite of our good form over the last month.

And we lost the ability to effectively transition. I know players must still be getting used to the handball game but some were real shockers. Handballs to guys with no options and 2 players hanging off them. Handballs to feet. Pretty average stuff.

Towards the end some of our talls were running into each other, too.

We really should be finding a way to play Brand regularly to get him used to performing at AFL level or to let him fail if that is what it ends up being. Brand and Mira are both playing well at Box Hill but have been unused for a long time.

I can't see Walker getting a game this year.. at least not one that he has earned. He has a lot to work on to round out his game.

I'm just wondering what was the point in producing a win over Geelong and then losing the next 2 games when we could have won them? I'm not criticising Clarko by any stretch, but it seems he can still conjure wins against good sides but can't do it against the lesser teams. Very confused right now.

Clearly we beat Geelong and then lost just to annoy you a no other reason at all.

you mad my team beat yours or something?

Kudos on supporting a team. We all support a club. Maybe one day you’ll learn the difference. Now join in the chorus and * off.

forwards:
Breust: did alright, looking more like he did last year, but it's a bit late I'm afraid.
Lewis: Had one standout quarter, then either lost his confidence or blew his load too early (definitely one of our best)
Poppy: Heart and soul player- I thought this was one of his strongest games this year
Gunston: Had a great game
TOB: Looked hesitant, as if he'd lost some confidence
Nash: Struggled in this one- had some great run down defensive moves, but wasn't able to impact like he has in the past
Hanrahan: Didn't appear must in this one

Mids:
Shiels: Not his greatest game. Looks poor kicking into 50 if he doesn't have an easy target, and I get worried when he gets the ball breaking out of congestion; head down, bombs it.
JOM: did a lot right this game.
Scully: Not a great night- looked scared of contests
Smith: did alright without being amazing.
Worpel: MVP- boy howdy this guy is going to be a star
Wingard: Another great game, building really nicely in the middle and appeared to follow systems exceptionally well tonight.
Hendo: Appeared to be strong in patches without being amazing ever.
BB: A great game from him, a shame he hurt his thumb as I think that negated his impact

Defense:
Hardwick: Played his usual serviceable hard game, did his thing well enough
Stratts: Did alright defensively, didn't look flash with ball in hand
Howe: Lacks leg speed and tank. Looks ok when attacking contests, but that's about it
Frawley: The weight of our defense is starting to creep up on the old man imo. A couple of soft frees against him and he looked out of it.
Burgers: Played well, hard to criticise his efforts
Birchall: Looked good, but injured. I don't know if we'll see him again
Sicily: Got hard done by early, then never impacted the same. Smooth as always with ball, but clearly didn't want to enter congestion because of the target on him.

Hard game to watch bar the first quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back