Preview Round 3 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys all seem to be disregarding what I said before. Aren't you all just a little bit worried that their forward line is way too tall for us. Our tallest defender is Rance 194cm, their FF Clark, 200cm. Next Grimes 193cm will probably take S. Martin who stands at 198cm. Finally, they have Watts, 196cm, are we going to play on him? Batchelor, 188cm?

I think we are seriously lacking height at the moment.

Agree MR but who do we have in reserve? Post, McGuane?
Slim pickings I say - we need another defender with height and a serious attacking forward ( with mongrel)

You guys all seem to be disregarding what I said before. Aren't you all just a little bit worried that their forward line is way too tall for us. Our tallest defender is Rance 194cm, their FF Clark, 200cm. Next Grimes 193cm will probably take S. Martin who stands at 198cm. Finally, they have Watts, 196cm, are we going to play on him? Batchelor, 188cm?

We have had similar height advantages in the past two weeks at times, yet it hasn't helped us. If the ball is allowed to enter their fwd line with no pressure, then yes we will be in trouble. That will not be the intention. If the ball is coming in slow and under pressure, our mobile backs should be able to take advantage of the situation.

I believe we will have a similar situation in our fwd line also.

Im really glad that Moloney didnt come up. He normally carves us up with his toughness and penetrating kick. No Jurrah, Pettard, Moloney, Green, Sylvia or gysberts. This smells danger game as we are expected to win! Come on boys

Well, yes exactly. Isn't that your main premise for promoting White? The idea of him being effective around clearances can only be based on Coburg form, seeing what he has shown in the 1s in that area is pretty damning.

And defensive forward pressure which I've suggested at AFL level he has proven to be better at than A.Maric .
By no means dis-missing Maric has ability , however I do think White would be better at filling Kings role and the sides deficiencies in the first 2 rounds .

Should have brought White in for Jackson. White's still not ideal, but he can play the defensive forward role Jackson is doing and whilst he's not silky skilled, he's never ****ed up as bad as Jackson.

I am not surprised that Jackson was kept in the team, despite the fact that I wanted him lynched last week.

He's a member of the leadership group (somehow) and has a mature body. I think these two things saved him this week. However, another s**t game and I think he'll be banished.

And defensive forward pressure which I've suggested at AFL level he has proven to be better at than A.Maric .
By no means dis-missing Maric has ability , however I do think White would be better at filling Kings role and the sides deficiencies in the first 2 rounds .

The big risk with Maric, RP, is the defensive forward pressure issue, we all know that. On the other side though Maric has the ability to inflict serious damage in an attacking sense, on a scale that any of those others could only dream about. So yes, we'll all be watching him defensively, but if he can affect the scoreboard and set up others to score then I reckon it's a good in.

:(Very worried. Watts had a field day the first time we clashed last year and Martin presented somke real problems as well.
Could be our undoing given two out of three tall forwards for us are in ordinary form!

If we need height in the back why not put Vickery there? He can't take a mark at the moment anyway so just put him on Clark or Martin and see how he copes.

Btw, I realise this is unrealistic but old-fashioned coaches would have done this in a heartbeat, teach him a lesson...

Im really glad that Moloney didnt come up. He normally carves us up with his toughness and penetrating kick. No Jurrah, Pettard, Moloney, Green, Sylvia or gysberts. This smells danger game as we are expected to win! Come on boys

i have never ever understood this attitude. play em at full strength. play well and win you have a real indication of where you ACTUALLY STACK UP AGAINST THEM.

at richmond we have been masters of papering over the cracks no more please.

again it goes back to changing culture you have to want to play against opposition bests not looking to pretend it against the second stringers

We have had similar height advantages in the past two weeks at times, yet it hasn't helped us. If the ball is allowed to enter their fwd line with no pressure, then yes we will be in trouble. That will not be the intention. If the ball is coming in slow and under pressure, our mobile backs should be able to take advantage of the situation.

I believe we will have a similar situation in our fwd line also.

How is Cloke 196cm, Dawes 193cm, Paine 191cm similar to 200cm, 198cm and 196cm.

Carlton's forward structure was much different as they were only playing 2 tall forwards at a single time. Waite and Hampson/Kruezer. It is definitely arguable that we were too tall hence Post was dropped.

Seems to me that picking on an easy target like Jackson is much easier for the majority to do rather than question the 'stars' that are letting us down.

From where I sit, Jackson has at worse broken even with Scotland and Shaw over the first 2 weeks, perhaps even beaten both. Yet he is the first one listed each week for being dropped.

On the other hand we've got underperforming stars in Jack & Martin who are given a free pass by all and sundry. Have either of them beaten or broken even with their opponents so far this year. IMO neither of them have, in fact both are performing well below standard and yet I've hardly seen a bad word said about them outside myself and tugga taking Jack to task.

If we're to stick by the criteria that some posters are putting forward regarding giving underperformers games then surely these 2 should be near the top of the list for a stint at Coburg. BTW before those same people jump in and put forward the usual excuse of but they can win matches off their own boots and are much better players than Jackson is, thats not the freaking point.

The point is unlike Jackson they aren't performing their roles within the side at present. They are being well hold or soundly beaten and IMO that is much worse than Jacksons efforts in the first 2 weeks.

But hey lets put that in the too hard basket and stick with ripping into the easy target after all its much easier to pot someone that everyone else is questioning.

The big risk with Maric, RP, is the defensive forward pressure issue, we all know that. On the other side though Maric has the ability to inflict serious damage in an attacking sense, on a scale that any of those others could only dream about. So yes, we'll all be watching him defensively, but if he can affect the scoreboard and set up others to score then I reckon it's a good in.

Yep ,the benefit is if we gain some ascendancy he and Nahas alike are able to put the icing on the cake , as so to speak .
I wouldn't have picked him , as I suspect it to be a very tight game with plenty of tight contests and both sides likely to use slow ball movement to allow the setting up of zones , which FWIW I don't think suits us .
Hopefully we come out play quick direct footy which brings the speed of Nahas and Maric and the ability one on one of Jack, Vickery and Miller into play .:thumbsu:

:(Very worried. Watts had a field day the first time we clashed last year and Martin presented somke real problems as well.
Could be our undoing given two out of three tall forwards for us are in ordinary form!
They've been using Watts as an outside midfielder so he may not spend much time forward. Morton will be playing HFF and he's pretty tall, Newman may actually have to pick him or Watts up. Running off Morton will suit his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i have never ever understood this attitude. play em at full strength. play well and win you have a real indication of where you ACTUALLY STACK UP AGAINST THEM.

at richmond we have been masters of papering over the cracks no more please.

again it goes back to changing culture you have to want to play against opposition bests not looking to pretend it against the second stringers

Totally 100% agree (sorry Wang :p lol). Do we really think it matters that much if Moloney, Sylvia, etc are out? They're hardly world beaters for starters, regardless of how they've played against us in the past. How can anyone demand we beat them by 10+ goals to show we've improved, but then be thankful their better players are out? I doubt Geelong and WCE in the next two weeks will be doing us many favours. I want us to be competitive against them at full strength.

How is Cloke 196cm, Dawes 193cm, Paine 191cm similar to 200cm, 198cm and 196cm.

Carlton's forward structure was much different as they were only playing 2 tall forwards at a single time. Waite and Hampson/Kruezer. It is definitely arguable that we were too tall hence Post was dropped.

It's not just about the player's heights, but moreso about their height advantage against their direct opponents. I was just explaining that Melbourne's tall fwd line isn't an automatic advantage. Once Tarrant went off, I'd say we supposedly had a height advantage up forward last week. Same against Carlton, Vickery v Laidler, Miller v Bower, etc. It didn't help us much. I tend to agree that Post was likely dropped for balance, as much as anything.

Seems to me that picking on an easy target like Jackson is much easier for the majority to do rather than question the 'stars' that are letting us down.

From where I sit, Jackson has at worse broken even with Scotland and Shaw over the first 2 weeks, perhaps even beaten both. Yet he is the first one listed each week for being dropped.

On the other hand we've got underperforming stars in Jack & Martin who are given a free pass by all and sundry. Have either of them beaten or broken even with their opponents so far this year. IMO neither of them have, in fact both are performing well below standard and yet I've hardly seen a bad word said about them outside myself and tugga taking Jack to task.

If we're to stick by the criteria that some posters are putting forward regarding giving underperformers games then surely these 2 should be near the top of the list for a stint at Coburg. BTW before those same people jump in and put forward the usual excuse of but they can win matches off their own boots and are much better players than Jackson is, thats not the freaking point.

The point is unlike Jackson they aren't performing their roles within the side at present. They are being well hold or soundly beaten and IMO that is much worse than Jacksons efforts in the first 2 weeks.

But hey lets put that in the too hard basket and stick with ripping into the easy target after all its much easier to pot someone that everyone else is questioning.

Sorry RT but I didn't see Jack or Martin dropping chest marks when under no pressure after some elite delivery from Deledio under huge pressure in the backline only to see it come back in.

I didn't see these guys ignore a teammate with a better kick on them and attempt a left foot checkside.

I didn't see them constantly turnover the pill and not lay a single tackle in the game.

He did a very average job on shutting down Heath Scotland and seemed to line up on Armfield alot of the game...where he got towelled.

Heath Shaw has got to be the easiest bloke to shut down in the AFL....however he did more damage with the pill anyway.

I will take Matt White shutting down the HBF's like he did to Yarran keeping him to 3 touches (not 20) than taking Jackson.

Plus I think Martin and Riewoldt are slightly more important to the team and have more runs on the board than this bloke.

Pretty interesting team selection by Neeld. By going for height, especially up forward, he seems to be conceding that they are going to have beat us in the air, not at ground level where they have had an edge in the recent past.

His under-gunned midfield is going to have to work extremely hard to make this work. I expect to see a lot long bombs to their forward line, especially early, to try to unnerve our defence. It might be necessary to play Miller down back if they stack their forward line first up.

On the flip side, if our midfield is dominant, things could get pretty ugly for the Dees. I doubt they will have the run and carry to match us if the game breaks open.

I was bagging Jack for hours but however much we bag the stars they won't be dropped unless they're injured.

Sorry RT but I didn't see Jack or Martin dropping chest marks when under no pressure after some elite delivery from Deledio under huge pressure in the backline only to see it come back in.

I didn't see these guys ignore a teammate with a better kick on them and attempt a left foot checkside.

I didn't see them constantly turnover the pill and not lay a single tackle in the game.

He did a very average job on shutting down Heath Scotland and seemed to line up on Armfield alot of the game...where he got towelled.

Heath Shaw has got to be the easiest bloke to shut down in the AFL....however he did more damage with the pill anyway.

I will take Matt White shutting down the HBF's like he did to Yarran keeping him to 3 touches (not 20) than taking Jackson.

Plus I think Martin and Riewoldt are slightly more important to the team and have more runs on the board than this bloke.
How did I know that a post like this was going to be put up in response to mine. As I said people are carrying on about how by picking Jackson we're giving games to players that aren't performing. Well IMO neither Jack or Dusty are performing at the level that we expect from them, yet they get excused because posters use the old, but they are match winners line. Well if they are match winners and we're currently 0-2 it would be fair to say its because a couple of our match winners aren't performing their roles. Not because Jackson has turned the ball over occassionally(not on his own there) or dropped the odd mark(again not on his own there).

This is what one flog on the Dees board posted. Tiges best smash these arse-wipes!

Richmond

B: Small spud, Step Ladder, Soon to be delisted
HB: Gone missing, Clark's Victim, Poor kid
C: Development Stall, Pretty Boy, Couldn't get a game for Casey
HF: Going nowhere, Melbourne Reject #1, Wasted high draft pick
F: Shane who?, Overrated Solo Artist, Melbourne Reject #2
FOLL: Hack with Mullet, Dustin Martin, Soft as butter
I/C: Going backwards, Gone Backwards, Career change, Mind on the clock
EMG: Coburg Tigers reject #1, Coburg Tigers reject #2, Coburg Tigers reject #3, Coburg Tigers reject #4

IN: Melbourne Reject
OUT: Life's Reject ____________

It's their board, good luck to them. Just think about how shizen it has been to be a Dee's supporter so far this season. Imagine how life will be for them after 4.30pm on Saturday. Say nothing, sit back, and enjoy the ride.

It's their board, good luck to them. Just think about how shizen it has been to be a Dee's supporter so far this season. Imagine how life will be for them after 4.30pm on Saturday. Say nothing, sit back, and enjoy the ride.

I hope so CB. This game has me nervous though. There was no expectation beat the Blues or Maggies but this week we are expected to. I hope they don't lay down and take a rogering...

How did I know that a post like this was going to be put up in response to mine. As I said people are carrying on about how by picking Jackson we're giving games to players that aren't performing. Well IMO neither Jack or Dusty are performing at the level that we expect from them, yet they get excused because posters use the old, but they are match winners line. Well if they are match winners and we're currently 0-2 it would be fair to say its because a couple of our match winners aren't performing their roles. Not because Jackson has turned the ball over occassionally(not on his own there) or dropped the odd mark(again not on his own there).

I agree.
A few others with higher pedigree have performed poorly for a few weeks.

We don't lose games on 1 player.

It's the team that loses.

Anyway,Richmond have been quite good the last 2 weeks in their pressure and we should win this week.
Finally we get a team not in the top 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back