Unofficial Preview Round 5 Early Thoughts: Sydney Swans vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want him to stop going missing for large chunks of the game thats all.

He can kick, he can run, he can goal, he can play. His two weeks prior were good

I thought that before I re-watched the game. On replay he did a bit more than I thought originally. My view is we need to accept when we lose, our winger won't do a lot.

I thought that before I re-watched the game. On replay he did a bit more than I thought originally. My view is we need to accept when we lose, our winger won't do a lot.

Ill rewatch if i get a chance

Just saw some lazy bloody efforts in stark contrast to the Port game in particular

I have not seen enough of Hewitt though to say he should come in

id like towers v the dogs

I suspect however Mcglynn is best 22

I don't think it is any surprise our best games this year have been when McGlynn wasn't there. I'm sorry maybe I'm missing something. He wants to be a mid...but he has worse numbers than a small forward....He tackles...yeah so does half the reserve side.

I'd like to try Hewett against the Dogs, purely because we know what Towers does. We need to find out who can help us this season. Hewett/Robinson, etc.

Ill rewatch if i get a chance

Just saw some lazy bloody efforts in stark contrast to the Port game in particular

Normall I don't re-watch it, but I had been out all day Saturday at the races, so I had had about 10 beers watching the game live. So I thought I'd watch it in the morning on replay. Some players who I shout were awful on the night, I thought I was a bit harsh on.

Wouldn't mind seeing Heeny get a NEAFL run this week. Looked a bit off the pace on the weekend. He's only in his first season, so i think a couple of weeks in the ressies would do him good, let him re-enforce the stuff he's learned so far and freshen up for another run in the seniors.

If Heeney goes out, Rohan should get his starting spot. Was brilliant vs Freo, and didn't deserve to be sub anyway. Give McGlynn the vest, and bring in Mitchell (yeah, i know, everyone says this) to add a bit more grunt in the first half. Then sub off someone slow in the 3rd, and bring McGlynn on to add some pace and mongrel for the 3rd and 4th quarter.

We should account for these guys. They have improved, but we should take care of them reasonably comfortably. I think we'll get out to 3-4 goals, and kind of keep it there. I doubt we'll blow them off the park, but we should do enough.

I swear if we think we can just 'turn up' to get the 4 points they are seriously mistaken. Dogs have good players, in a way the wet will help us this week as their mids are young.

I swear if we think we can just 'turn up' to get the 4 points they are seriously mistaken. Dogs have good players, in a way the wet will help us this week as their mids are young.

dogs have willing footballers who will go in hard at the contest

dogs have willing footballers who will go in hard at the contest

They do, but it is a game they will miss Wallis and Liba if there is weather around. I rate their list though and if we think we can coast along and not doing the hard work, we will lose. They are not Brisbane. There is a good reason they have won games this season.

They do, but it is a game they will miss Wallis and Liba if there is weather around. I rate their list though and if we think we can coast along and not doing the hard work, we will lose. They are not Brisbane. There is a good reason they have won games this season.

agree

but round 1 last year is about the only time i have seen this side do that under longmire really

Just watched the twos highlights, big Slam'in Sammy Naismith moves amazingly well for a guy his height, crumbed a few packs, did some nice things in contests to palm off to players running through. If we weren't so tall wouldnt be adversed to giving him another crack, looks the goods.
Speaking of Goodes looked as though he was burning possession a fair bit inside 50.

Just watched the twos highlights, big Slam'in Sammy Naismith moves amazingly well for a guy his height, crumbed a few packs, did some nice things in contests to palm off to players running through. If we weren't so tall wouldnt be adversed to giving him another crack, looks the goods.
Speaking of Goodes looked as though he was burning possession a fair bit inside 50.

I'd be more than comfortable to 'rest' Pyke one of these next 3 weeks and play Naismith. Can't be any worse and he might be better in front of goals going by stats only.

Averaging 16 possies a game with 3 wins and only 1 loss doesn't suggest he's doing a whole lot when we win either.

Like I said, last year he was 2nd in the AFL for I50 entries IIRC.
This year he's further back and not delivering the ball forward nearly as much.

Agreed it can be where Horse wants him positioned in the contest, but no point having a "winger" and then playing them off the HBF
Especially when they are as soft as butter defensively.

I'd be more than comfortable to 'rest' Pyke one of these next 3 weeks and play Naismith. Can't be any worse and he might be better in front of goals going by stats only.

I think Pykes magnet is super glued to the team board

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Averaging 16 possies a game with 3 wins and only 1 loss doesn't suggest he's doing a whole lot when we win either.

Like I said, last year he was 2nd in the AFL for I50 entries IIRC.
This year he's further back and not delivering the ball forward nearly as much.

Agreed it can be where Horse wants him positioned in the contest, but no point having a "winger" and then playing them off the HBF
Especially when they are as soft as butter defensively.

The wing is apparently wherever the ball is not

Even when we break through the middle linking up Jetta seems rarely involved

His port game especially the first quarter was excellent

The weekend was crap and after last years grand final its another big concern

The wing is apparently wherever the ball is not

Even when we break through the middle linking up Jetta seems rarely involved

His port game especially the first quarter was excellent

The weekend was crap and after last years grand final its another big concern

I wouldn't object to trading Jetta at the end of the year if he wants to go back home he will still have reasonable currency.

I think we can easily cover him.

Dalhaus has taken a step up this year

I think dickson is underrated he is a bit of a one trick pony but he does it well, him and boyd keep the defence occupied then you need to watch crameri and stringer, so laidler plays this week for sure,

Bontempelli another oversize bloody mid to deal,with

Murphy will sweep up our rubbish entries

Dalhaus has taken a step up this year

I think dickson is underrated he is a bit of a one trick pony but he does it well, him and boyd keep the defence occupied then you need to watch crameri and stringer, so laidler plays this week for sure,

Bontempelli another oversize bloody mid to deal,with

Murphy will sweep up our rubbish entries

Stringer might not even play, i dont think we have much to worry about this week if we are genuine.

I can accept that people think Jetta could be doing more.
But I think he is one of our most important.
Positives far out way the negs.

Haven't done the math, but surely this week we'll be like 2x as experienced than the Dogs.
Rest Richards, play his bro.
Or Pyke and Naismith.
Or Hewett/Jones/Robinson for McGlynn, Laidler, Shaw.

We'll need to learn to play without them sooner rather than later (Re Richards, Pyke, Shaw)

I can accept that people think Jetta could be doing more.
But I think he is one of our most important.
Positives far out way the negs.

Haven't done the math, but surely this week we'll be like 2x as experienced than the Dogs.
Rest Richards, play his bro.
Or Pyke and Naismith.
Or Hewett/Jones/Robinson for McGlynn, Laidler, Shaw.

We'll need to learn to play without them sooner rather than later (Re Richards, Pyke, Shaw)
Their team last week had an average age of 23y11m, ours had an average age of 26y5m. The experience gap is quite close to double.

Danger game? Hawthorn beat them by 10+ goals, if we are legit then we should not have a problem
Not saying at all we would have beaten the Hawks, but take this into consideration at least. Missing from that game, Wood, M Boyd, Bonti, in the 1st qtr Wallis injured did not return, Morris injured did not return, so we played the last 3 qtrs without 5 of our starting 22 and down 2 rotations. As i said we wouldn't have beaten them but had we had our full team and rations Hawks win by 5-6 goals.

I think you guys will win at the SCG but I am tipping a close game maybe 2-3 goals your way.

Not saying at all we would have beaten the Hawks, but take this into consideration at least. Missing from that game, Wood, M Boyd, Bonti, in the 1st qtr Wallis injured did not return, Morris injured did not return, so we played the last 3 qtrs without 5 of our starting 22 and down 2 rotations. As i said we wouldn't have beaten them but had we had our full team and rations Hawks win by 5-6 goals.

I think you guys will win at the SCG but I am tipping a close game maybe 2-3 goals your way.

It will only be close if we are off our game.
Don't get me wrong, Bullies are improving but a long way off.

Stringer might not even play, i dont think we have much to worry about this week if we are genuine.

No i agree we should beat them

We just need to be switched on against a very good young side

Their only loss looks worse than it was imo

Their team last week had an average age of 23y11m, ours had an average age of 26y5m. The experience gap is quite close to double.

Last weeks game against Freo had this much exp;

247,238,217,208,168,167,146,138,135,134,124,124,107,94, 86,80,52,49,47,34,25,4
2624 games.

Interestingly besides Goodes we played basically the most experienced side we could..
Heeney obviously there are a few guys with more games than him, but after Lloyd on 25, Alex Johnson was the only guy who's played more and wasn't out there.
Really shows what we've seen since '12 - our experienced depth has been replaced by kids.

Seem to be a lot of suggestion this or that player should make way for X. If you are going well after four rounds with the cattle used I think it's better to back them in. Number of players take a bit of time to hit their straps and at 3 and 1 it's probably ok. Time in the reserves is ok but nothing beats time in the 1's to get you up to speed. Barring injuries or niggles we should probably back in the players doing the job. When a team has four plus changes it usually means there is some serious issues(Form, injuries). At this time we've made a few decisive changes by way of outs but unless those coming in hit the ground running like an AJ, Rampe or Heeney then they are always going to be a cameo player. Towers at this point needs to show something pretty solid to force out a McGlynn or Cunningham and the reality may be that only injury will dictate change. Think Goodes might be the next to get a call up at the expense of Heeney and if he doesn't take his opportunity it will be tough spot to hold. Mitchell may get a chance for say Cunningham but only if Mitchell is tracking well which I have little idea about. Probably just contradicted myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back