Sacramento Kings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Well said. Totally agree.

I can't see improvement coming from Williams & McCallum to the level needed where they would push for minutes in a better team.

I always think where would these players find themselves with the better teams in the league and to be honest, they would probably be a 8, 9, 10 spot.

I still don't understand on why they would draft Staukas after putting all their eggs into the one basket (McLemore) after originally starting with Thorton at the 2 spot last year before trading him. Trading Thorton was a good trade both for money and minutes for McLemore but then they go and double up on a 2 guard when there were substantial needs at other positions.

Well said. Totally agree.

I can't see improvement coming from Williams & McCallum to the level needed where they would push for minutes in a better team.

I always think where would these players find themselves with the better teams in the league and to be honest, they would probably be a 8, 9, 10 spot.

I still don't understand on why they would draft Staukas after putting all their eggs into the one basket (McLemore) after originally starting with Thorton at the 2 spot last year before trading him. Trading Thorton was a good trade both for money and minutes for McLemore but then they go and double up on a 2 guard when there were substantial needs at other positions.
McCallum has time, but I agree Williams is done.

I can't believe the Kings decided to pick up Stauskas over Payton... it made too much sense for Sacramento to do it I guess.

They would of been better drafting a 3/4 swingman and then trying to trade for someone like Patty Mills. At least he always gives 100% and looks interested when out in court.

Once Cousins and to a lesser extent Gay is not on the floor, they have trouble getting the ball in the hole.

Gone of the days when Bobby Jackson and Hedo Turkoglu were coming off the bench scoring.

They would of been better drafting a 3/4 swingman and then trying to trade for someone like Patty Mills. At least he always gives 100% and looks interested when out in court.

Once Cousins and to a lesser extent Gay is not on the floor, they have trouble getting the ball in the hole.

Gone of the days when Bobby Jackson and Hedo Turkoglu were coming off the bench scoring.
I feel as though drafting Payton would give us our so desperately needed PG for the future, as well as prevent us from acquiring Sessions. Hope Landry does the job, and try to steal a 4 in the trade period or next offseason.

Thompson needs to go, it's getting comical now.
Williams either needs to pull the finger out and start driving to the hoop every time or he's gone as well.

I think Macallum and Stauskas will be fine players if they get the minutes they need to develop, which is a lot admittedly.

I proposed trading pick 7 last year for Brandon Knight and John Henson and got laughed at, looking back that would of been an alright trade. Henson is very solid when he gets the minutes, blanketed Boogie well the other night.

I proposed trading pick 7 last year for Brandon Knight and John Henson and got laughed at, looking back that would of been an alright trade. Henson is very solid when he gets the minutes, blanketed Boogie well the other night.
I see that as an ok trade. Henson would be excellent next to Cousins, and Knight is a good player. The only problem I would have with that trade is that Knight seems like a shoot-first type of PG (I don't watch him all that much but looking at his stats and hearing the general consensus about him, that's what I think).

But in hindsight I would do that trade.

I see that as an ok trade. Henson would be excellent next to Cousins, and Knight is a good player. The only problem I would have with that trade is that Knight seems like a shoot-first type of PG (I don't watch him all that much but looking at his stats and hearing the general consensus about him, that's what I think).

But in hindsight I would do that trade.
He launches pretty frequently but he's a very good player and it works for him, if he came off our bench behind Collison we'd be sitting a lot prettier than we are now.

I'm still undecided about Collison. I watch 3 kings v clippers game last year live and all 3, he played well and was able to score easily in their offence and at times even was able to create his own shot. That's a big deal, with the likes of griffin, reddick, Crawford, Barnes all shooting every touch they had as well.

However this year, he had looked at times reserved to shoot even when open. The Sac media during the off season was over the moon to be getting a pass first-shoot second point guard to replace Isiah who was totally the opposite but the team needs more firepower. No good passing to others who can't score.

I agree, Payton would of be able to grow into the role slowly. Even if Staukas starts performing, you can't play him and McLemore together for substantial minutes.

I think we already have.

http://www.sportal.com.au/nba/report-kings-finally-hire-george-karl/i5mnbquk0r3g1upjt20a4ps8t

He will coach his first game against the Celtics on Saturday 21st February.
What took so ******* long?! :D

Seriously has there ever been a more publicly botched up hiting in the history of professional sports?!
I would trade Jason Thompson. I don't think he does enough and we are struggling on offense and we could really do with a power forward who can score consistently. That's something we need to look at going forward.

Players like Hollins and Evans don't really offer us much and I would be surprised if those two aren't moved on from our roster at the end of the season. The improvement must come from the likes of McLemore, Stauskas, McCallum, Williams and I'd even throw Casspi into that mix as well.
There is more to basketball than the boxscore. JT and Reggie Evans are the epitomy of a role player. They do all the dirty work. JT's defense is very good. Having him next to Cousins allows more freedom to Cousins defensively as a weakside defender. It also reduces the foul count on Cousins.

Reggie is the ultimate scrapper, a gun rebounder and a veteran presence that is always loved by his teammates. Those are the types of players that you always need on the team. You can't win the war with all the generals, you need some solders as well. The last thing this team needs in the starting line up is another scorer. Looking at the rankings, Kings starting five is in top 5 in terms of production as a unit in the entire league. Its the bench that is killing this team and the overall lack of direction. We need a couple of consistent offensive threats from the bench but not in the starting five.

You went via the Cape, but you got there in the end guys :thumbsu:

First couple of minutes from Karl is precisely why I believe he's a great fit for the Kings - he's done it before in Seattle, Milwaukee and Denver. Phil Jackson he ain't, and in this case that's a good thing.

The other factor that makes him attractive is that he turned the fortunes around in Seattle, Milwaukee and Denver straight away. All three immediately improved the second he walked in the door (and coincidentally or not imploded after he departed.)

It was sheer farking lunacy that the likes of Ty Corbin and Brian Shaw had jobs while he sat twiddling his thumbs, but onward and upwards.

We've traded out Ramon Sessions to the Washington Wizards for Andre Miller. Whilst I don't think Sessions was that good, he's certainly a better player then Miller though who is almost 39. Not sure what's the upside for us here. :confused:

We've traded out Ramon Sessions to the Washington Wizards for Andre Miller. Whilst I don't think Sessions was that good, he's certainly a better player then Miller though who is almost 39. Not sure what's the upside for us here. :confused:

Probably more an off court/leadership thing than on court. And also that he is one of Coach Karl favourites from his Denver days. Andre Miller can still play the back up pg role with minimal minutes behind Collison and provides that bench scoring punch by being able to get to the foul line instead of chucking up shot after shot.

Probably wasn't a trade anyone would of suggested but I do understand why and am happy to sit back and see if it proves to be successful. Even if it's not, they haven't lost much.

Probably more an off court/leadership thing than on court. And also that he is one of Coach Karl favourites from his Denver days. Andre Miller can still play the back up pg role with minimal minutes behind Collison and provides that bench scoring punch by being able to get to the foul line instead of chucking up shot after shot.

Probably wasn't a trade anyone would of suggested but I do understand why and am happy to sit back and see if it proves to be successful. Even if it's not, they haven't lost much.
Spot on here. The age is a worry... but maybe Karl has future plans to bring him in as a coach? Just a thought anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kings win it! Good start under coach George Karl. :D

DeMarcus Cousins records his 34th double-double of the season. Also good to see players like McCallum, Casspi and Williams play well.

Cousins: 31 points, 15 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 block
Gay: 28 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, 3 blocks
Williams: 11 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal
McCallum: 8 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists
Casspi: 7 points, 12 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 steal

Moving Sessions out is addition by subtraction.

The guy has one NBA skill - getting to the line and finishing in the paint - and he hasn't even done that well for you. His playmaking is limited and his defence is atrocious. Sessions has been a liability at both ends of the court... your bench has been abysmal and he's central to that.

He's also guaranteed money next year - cut, dump and run.

I would suspect Miller is being brought in as something of a player/coach to get your team and especially your bench passing the basketball.

My in-laws were at the game yesterday as season ticket holders and they made mention to me whilst at the game that for once the bench players looked to be enjoying themselves while sitting on the bench. A lot of times both this year and last year, the players when sitting would not encourage the players on the floor to the extent that at timeouts the reserves would be in the huddle staring into the crowd.

The inexperienced guys were still finding their feet within the team and the veteran guys were not that way inclined.

The enthusiasm of the team each game rest solely on Cousins rightly or wrongly. If he plays well and he is enjoying himself, it filters through everyone. But if he isn't, there is no one to pull the rest if the team out of it.

I can't remember the last time something occurred on court when the bench erupted as per teams like Spurs, Bucks, Warriors where all players seem to gel together. Maybe when Demarcus hit the game winner last week but even then it was a reserved celebration by a few.

Maybe Coach Karl and Andre Miller will assist in this more than Sessions ever would.

One of the biggest thing from the glory days is that the team got along. With 3 Europeans, Vlade, Peja and Hedo mixed with Webber, Christie and Bibby and bench players such as Bobby Jackson and Scot Pollard, these players like being around each other and played for each other

Last edited:
Kings beat the Grizzlies 90-102 at home. Great D played tonight by Thompson and Evans. Kings are now 2-1 under George Karl. Impressed with McCallum's games over the last few weeks. He's showing signs of improvement. Hopefully now we can continue to improve for the rest of the season.

Gay: 28 points - 5 rebounds - 6 assists - 1 steal
Cousins: 16 points - 9 rebounds - 6 assists - 1 block
McLemore: 16 points - 1 steal - 1 block
Thompson: 10 points - 11 rebounds - 4 blocks - 1 steal
McCallum: 10 points - 3 assists - 3 steals
Miller: 4 points - 6 rebounds - 7 assists
Evans: 11 rebounds - 2 steals

McCallum is surpassing all expectations, especially as a starting point gaurd.
Bench has been promising under Karl, the ball moved around fluently.
At least it's good to watch.

McCallum is surpassing all expectations, especially as a starting point gaurd.
Bench has been promising under Karl, the ball moved around fluently.
At least it's good to watch.

No doubt... Casspi and Williams have contributed quite well coming off the bench under Karl so far and McCallum has benefited getting more game-time and he's scoring quite well this last month putting up decent numbers each game.

Willaims in particular has been something else, his 3 point shot is outstanding right now.
Casspi has found what made him so good earlier under Malone, frenetic charging towards the basket and rebounding everything he can.

This team is really missing Collison. He is the guy that would fit Karl's dribble drive offense really well. He really was having a career year before the injury.

Despite all this, I get the feeling that the Kings will go after Ty Lawson in the off-season. Nothing concrete, just a hunch. He is a Karl guy, knows his system inside out and is a good assist/to PG. Lawson-Gay-Cousins is a decent trio even in the West and if McLemore makes as big a jump from this season to next as he did from last seaso to this, the team all of a sudden becomes interesting.

I like DC and I think he fits with Cousins and Gay really well but I just get the feeling that the team might be looking for an upgrade and Lawson might just be that guy and he is likely to be available.

Defence is such an issue and I don't know how we fix it, we're a sieve and we get shelled from the outside so much.
We're always scrambling late, nothing is set.

Defense is such an issue and I don't know how we fix it, we're a sieve and we get shelled from the outside so much.
We're always scrambling late, nothing is set.

Our defense... well it's absolutely terrible right now and I can't see it turning around anytime soon. Offense isn't enough to win games. We are the worst team in the league at conceding three point shots to the opposition and today's game against Atlanta is a perfect example of that as they shot 20/36 three pointers at 56% which just goes to show how bad our defense is going at the moment. When you also factor in the opposition scoring points off our constant turnovers and it's easy to see why we are really poor on the transition.

I have just witness one of the worst defensive efforts by a team at any level of basketball......3rd quarter allowing 37 points to Philly. I am lost for words!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back